GOP Senator Asks Trump If He’s ‘Recanting’ Constitutional Oath

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GOP Senator Asks Trump If He’s ‘Recanting’ Constitutional Oath

Yes, it has come to this. I cannot think of a single president in my lifetime that had a great relationship with the media but not even Richard Nixon broached anything that remotely resembled this stroke of genius on the part of seven year old in the body a senior citizen that currently resides in the white house.

Donald J. Trump
    ✔ ‎@realDonaldTrump

Network news has become so partisan, distorted and fake that licenses must be challenged and, if appropriate, revoked. Not fair to public!
    8:09 PM - Oct 11, 2017

43,329 43,329 Replies

16,511 16,511 Retweets

69,315 69,315 likes
    Of course what the Donald meant was that the network was not fair and/or complementary to himself.

Nebraska Sen. Ben Sasse issued a statement asking President Trump is he is “recanting” the oath he took to defend and uphold the Constitution after Trump suggesting revoking the “licenses” of network news organizations.

“Mr. President: Words spoken by the President of the United States matter,” the Republican senator wrote in a statement. “Are you tonight recanting of the oath you took on Jan. 20 to preserve, protect, and defend the 1st Amendment?”
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politi...bcA1&ocid=iehp
    Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

Initiated Chief Petty Officer
    Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!

Given him a new shovel. He must have worn the first one out with the holes he is digging for himself.
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

What's sad is that republicans will come in here and defend this. Where has the party of small government and freedom gone?
      "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
      - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post
        What's sad is that republicans will come in here and defend this. Where has the party of small government and freedom gone?
        Same place as the hard working politicians working to make America great - they left a long time ago.
        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Can't say I agree with the Prez but the media and online ranters brought it on themselves. They've been caught lying their asses off on multiple occasions and can't open their mouth without spewing anti trump vitriol. They swam in the sewer and now they're crying over getting called out.

I'd rather have a biased press than no press so I'll disagree with Trump on this one. But lefties crying foul in the same breath with which they hurl epithets at the president is a joke. Instead of whining about mean old Trump they need to do some soul searching and earn back America's respect. Instead of asking themselves WHY Trump and half the country have stopped giving a rat's fart about their tirades they just keep complaining. Maybe if the msm weren't getting caught lying so damn often and stopped making asinine remarks about conservative shooting victims Trump and friends might not be so hostile.

In short BassMan, Trump is wrong, but don't expect any sympathy. He is a monster of your own making.
          Last edited by Pirateship1982; 12 Oct 17, 15:00.
          A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Good luck getting the Left to admit they're wrong on anything...

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
              Good luck getting the Left or Right to admit they're wrong on anything...
              FIFY

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateship1982 View Post
                Can't say I agree with the Prez but the media and online ranters brought it on themselves. They've been caught lying their asses off on multiple occasions and can't open their mouth without spewing anti trump vitriol. They swam in the sewer and now they're crying over getting called out.

I'd rather have a biased press than no press so I'll disagree with Trump on this one. But lefties crying foul in the same breath with which they hurl epithets at the president is a joke. Instead of whining about mean old Trump they need to do some soul searching and earn back America's respect. Instead of asking themselves WHY Trump and half the country have stopped giving a rat's fart about their tirades they just keep complaining. Maybe if the msm weren't getting caught lying so damn often and stopped making asinine remarks about conservative shooting victims Trump and friends might not be so hostile.

In short BassMan, Trump is wrong, but don't expect any sympathy. He is a monster of your own making.
                Lying??? Trump never lies

Trump has made his enemy's with the press indulging in negative behavior towards them since before he was sworn
                e in. Even FOX is finially reporting some negative about him. That's how bad he is and your still doing the river tour. You talk about asinine remarks. My god, that is a Trump brand name. "We had a WONDERFUL visit in Las Vegas" What do you call that, Yoda?
                Last edited by Half Pint John; 12 Oct 17, 16:15.

Comment

Good luck getting the Left to admit they're wrong on anything...
                  Are you somehow attempting to defend what appears to be an assault on the Bill of Rights by the Donald? This has nothing to do with left or right and you know it. I am willing to bet that you would be screaming bloody murder if Elizabeth Warren was president and she suggested doing that to Fox News, and I would be joining you. So do me a favor and don't try to digress.
                  Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

Comment

Originally posted by Bass_Man86 View Post
                    Are you somehow attempting to defend what appears to be an assault on the Bill of Rights by the Donald? This has nothing to do with left or right and you know it. I am willing to bet that you would be screaming bloody murder if Elizabeth Warren was president and she suggested doing that to Fox News, and I would be joining you. So do me a favor and don't try to digress.
                    No I'm simply making an observation. The Left never apologizes or takes responsibility for their FU's. At best they offer a tepid, half-hearted "apology" then start telling you the matter is over and that they want to move on to new screw ups.
                    You rarely, if ever see a politician on the Left, Progressive, or even "moderate" Democrat resigning from office over some major screw up, or even crime. Republicans and the Right when they get similarly caught usually fall on a sword and are soon out of office.

Obama did do it to FOX News if you recall. He tried to get them banned from the White House reporter pool and didn't want to allow them at press conferences.

I don't think NBC should lose their license or even ability to cover Trump as they like. The public is smart enough to know what's going on. In fact, I'm beginning to think Trump is playing the press like a fiddle.
                    Why? Because intentional or not, he's got them so stirred up and angry at him they're making fools of themselves trying to out negative story each other. They're going to end up train wrecked with the public.

Comment

No I'm simply making an observation. The Left never apologizes or takes responsibility for their FU's. At best they offer a tepid, half-hearted "apology" then start telling you the matter is over and that they want to move on to new screw ups.
                      You rarely, if ever see a politician on the Left, Progressive, or even "moderate" Democrat resigning from office over some major screw up, or even crime. Republicans and the Right when they get similarly caught usually fall on a sword and are soon out of office.

Obama did do it to FOX News if you recall. He tried to get them banned from the White House reporter pool and didn't want to allow them at press conferences.

I don't think NBC should lose their license or even ability to cover Trump as they like. The public is smart enough to know what's going on. In fact, I'm beginning to think Trump is playing the press like a fiddle.
                      Why? Because intentional or not, he's got them so stirred up and angry at him they're making fools of themselves trying to out negative story each other. They're going to end up train wrecked with the public.
                      I must respectfully disagree with your last statement. According to some sources while the Donald's credibility decreasing the credibility of the media is on the upswing.

Confidence rises in the media, falls for Trump administration

After a tumultuous year in American politics, the public appears to be increasingly confident in the press and less confident in the Trump administration and Congress. The Reuters/Ipsos poll tracked confidence in major institutions every couple of months after the presidential election, from January to September 2017, collecting more than 14,300 responses to the question
                      http://www.reuters.com/article/us-tr...-idUSKCN1C813L

As far as the "Fox News" issue:

Manufactured Controversy

This was about as routine and noncontroversial as a federal law can get, at least until false claims started to circulate, drumming up a manufactured controversy. The law was sponsored by a Republican, Rep. Thomas Rooney of Florida. In fact, the bill has been around for years. Rooney first introduced it in 2009 and spoke about it on the House floor in 2010. The current Congress passed it overwhelmingly — by “unanimous consent” in the Senate, and with only three House members voting against it.

It merely amended Title 18, Chapter 84, Section 1752 of the U.S. Code — just as then-President George W. Bush did in 2006 when he signed the Patriot Act. (Click on the link to the U.S. Code and you can see how it was amended in 1982, 1984, 1994 and 2006.)

According to the official report of the full House Judiciary Committee (which approved it on a voice vote, without recorded opposition), the bill adds two things to previously existing law:
                      ◾It specifies that it is unlawful to enter secured areas of the White House and its grounds, or the vice president’s official residence and grounds. Previously, according to the report, the law prohibited unlawful entry to any building or ground, secured by the Secret Service, where the president or vice president is “temporarily” visiting. That forced the Secret Service to rely on a District of Columbia law that “addresses only minor misdemeanor infractions” even if somebody were to breach the White House residence itself.
                      ◾The new law revises the standard that prosecutors must meet to gain a conviction, from proving that a violation was committed “willfully and knowingly” to merely proving that it was committed “knowingly.”
                      http://www.factcheck.org/2012/05/oba...e-free-speech/

So, what you are referring to (unless you are referring to something else) is not nearly on the same level as actually proposing that the FCC should yank the broadcast license of a major news network.

Lastly, I do not know how NBC was able to make the claim that they did. Nonetheless, this is from the folks at Poilitifact:

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...-far-stronger/
                      Last edited by Skoblin; 14 Oct 17, 06:33.

Comment

Starting from the bottom...

Politifact is no more accurate much of the time than InfoWars or RT, or, some of the other more fringe Rightist "news" outlets. The Huffington Post is better than Politifact. Factcheck.org is another Lefty site that's equally bad at getting things accurate.

As for who the public trusts...?

They may not trust Trump, but they sure as hell don't trust the media either. So, any comparison between the two is kind of meaningless. Because when you look at the breath of polling on media trust, you find people have little faith in the MSM and haven't had much for years now.

Here's one that contradicts yours...

http://insider.foxnews.com/2017/07/0...rnalists-press

A new poll from NPR/PBS NewsHour/Marist found that more Americans trust the White House than the media.
                        37 percent of those polled said they trust the Trump administration, compared to 30 percent for the media and 29 percent for Congress.
                        A majority of Democrats, 56 percent, have faith in the media while only nine percent of Republicans trust the press.
                        The survey of 1,205 adults was conducted June 21 through June 25.
                        So, it depends on who's doing the poll. But, as I said, the breath of polling shows little trust in the MSM and mainstream news. Now, that's overall, not relative to trust in Trump or the administration. The ones claiming more trust in the MSM than the administration typically are pretty left leaning (Reuters, CNN, Quinnipiac, for example), so you have to take into account bias, just as you would for a FOX poll.

I'd add that Democrats and Progressives trust the media far more than the rest of the public (eg., about a third of the US falls into the Democrat / Progressive category), so on the whole the MSM isn't that well trusted.

Comment

Summarizing, as of May 3 - 7, 2017:

40 percent of Americans identify as being Independents
                          29 percent identify as being Republicans
                          28 percent identify as being Democrats.
                          The Gallup Poll data is available online dating back to January of 2004. Just eyeballing the data, it appears that:

More people identify themselves as Independents than as either a Democrat or a Republican.
                          The Independent voters started to gain a majority consistently around the end of 2009--about half-way through Obama's first term.

Comment

Post deleted for proscribed personal comment

ACG staff
                            Last edited by Skoblin; 14 Oct 17, 06:32.
                            A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Four posts deleted. Gentlemen, please return to the topic at hand - ACG staff
                              Last edited by Skoblin; 14 Oct 17, 06:41.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X