SGT Bergdahl to plead guilty to Desertion and Misbehavior before the Enemy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
    Very possible, but once again we're talking 5 months, not going to be much help as 'timed served'.
    So all this time Bergdahl has been "held" -- RoR'ed, actually -- without charges? Wouldn't that constitute a violation of his constitutional rights as a criminal defendant?
    I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
      So all this time Bergdahl has been "held" -- RoR'ed, actually -- without charges? Wouldn't that constitute a violation of his constitutional rights as a criminal defendant?
      Until the more serious charge was added in June his status was:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/05/17...-november.html

Bergdahl can come and go the same as any other soldier from Fort Sam Houston, where he works a desk job in a headquarters unit, handling "a lot of administrative work that needs to be done. Paperwork, moving stuff from place to place, things like that," Howard said.
      “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
      “To talk of many things:
      Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
      Of cabbages—and kings—
      And why the sea is boiling hot—
      And whether pigs have wings.”
      ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

That applies to defectors? Name-calling deleted - ACG Staff

How did he interfer in the justice system? The charges he plead is pleading guilty to were brought during the Obama admin.

No one left behind. Those words either mean something or you're just flapping your mouth.
        Last edited by Daemon of Decay; 06 Oct 17, 18:31.
        My worst jump story:
        My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
        As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
        No lie.

~
        "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
        -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
          Name-calling deleted - ACG Staff

Yes. Read it again. Do you see an exception. We bring everyone back, even if it's to turn around and through them in military prison.
          Last edited by Daemon of Decay; 06 Oct 17, 18:32.
          “To talk of many things:
          Of cabbages—and kings—
          ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Until the more serious charge was added in June his status was:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/05/17...-november.html
            Bergdahl can come and go the same as any other soldier from Fort Sam Houston, where he works a desk job in a headquarters unit, handling "a lot of administrative work that needs to be done. Paperwork, moving stuff from place to place, things like that," Howard said.
            So he can leave the installation. Can he leave the state? Can he leave the country? Did he have to surrender his passport, assuming he had one in the first place?

In that sense, his duties at Ft Sam Houston constituted a form of parole, and his supervisor a parole officer, in that Bergdahl did have to report daily. . . . .

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
            For what it's worth, I agree with you, that Pres Obama made a real mistake offering to negotiate for Bergdahl, offering illegal combatant prisoners in exchange for Bergdahl -- but your dig to CE was completely uncalled for.
            Last edited by Daemon of Decay; 06 Oct 17, 18:34.
            I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Problem with pleading guilty to anything in any legal case (not just this one) is that you go down without a fight and it's therefore an open invite for the judge to throw the book at you.
              But if you plead not guilty, at least you'll have a chance to stand in the witness box and give your full side of it, it's called "having your day in court"..
              For example when I was facing a vigilante rap in 2002 my solicitor wanted me to plead guilty but I said no way hozay, and I was able to sing my head off in the witness box about the corruption and incompetence in our local police that forced me to take the law into my own hands, and it felt good to see the newspaper reporters at the back of the courtroom scribbling down my words.
              I got a 3-month sentence but it was well worth it..

Comment

Clean-up - ACG Staff

Just like the Iran deal, Obama was a total moron.

Yes. Read it again. Do you see an exception. We bring everyone back, even if it's to turn around and through them in military prison.
                Last edited by Daemon of Decay; 06 Oct 17, 18:34.
                My worst jump story:
                No lie.

~
                -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

How can anyone plead not guilty when you leave the wire? Have around six other soldiers killed while looking for your ass, millions of dollars were wasted on this clown, shoot him!

Originally posted by Poor Old Spike View Post
                  Problem with pleading guilty to anything in any legal case (not just this one) is that you go down without a fight and it's therefore an open invite for the judge to throw the book at you.
                  But if you plead not guilty, at least you'll have a chance to stand in the witness box and give your full side of it, it's called "having your day in court"..
                  For example when I was facing a vigilante rap in 2002 my solicitor wanted me to plead guilty but I said no way hozay, and I was able to sing my head off in the witness box about the corruption and incompetence in our local police that forced me to take the law into my own hands, and it felt good to see the newspaper reporters at the back of the courtroom scribbling down my words.
                  I got a 3-month sentence but it was well worth it..
                  My worst jump story:
                  No lie.

~
                  -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

How did he interfer in the justice system? The charges he plead is pleading guilty to were brought during the Obama admin.

No one left behind. Those words either mean something or you're just flapping your mouth.
                    That would be something new.
                    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Those words mean nothing to deserters. He left his entire unit behind.

Stop feeling sorry for criminals.
                      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Anybody else see the irony of posters saying that we shouldn't have traded for his return, yet they want him executed or given a long prison sentence? How else can we prosecute him if we don't have him in custody?

Comment

He'd probably have an easier time in prison if he got his winge-thingie chopped off like the other little missy traitor and went to a women's prison... Not that any of us would care.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            Those words mean nothing to deserters. He left his entire unit behind.

Stop feeling sorry for criminals.
                            I never said anything that implied I feel sorry for him.
                            “To talk of many things:
                            Of cabbages—and kings—
                            ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

I could give two shits, the Obama deal was ****ing stupid. What part about that don't you get. And had he deserted in front of me I would have shot that coward in the back.

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
                              Anybody else see the irony of posters saying that we shouldn't have traded for his return, yet they want him executed or given a long prison sentence? How else can we prosecute him if we don't have him in custody?
                              My worst jump story:
                              No lie.

~
                              -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Yes, you did, you said, don't leave the deserter/coward behind.

I never said anything that implied I feel sorry for him.
                                My worst jump story:
                                No lie.

~
                                -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Working...
                                X