No announcement yet.

Sixteen Years Ago Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I cover it every year because I have students who weren't alive for it, or can't possibly remember. Yesterday we watched two videos: one about a man's journey to heal afterwards (through religion) and one about United Flight 93 because they always forget about that one. Then we talk about what resonated the most for us in the videos. They end the class by writing a reflection paper where they have to take a position on whether 9/11 is important to them and why they feel that way.

We follow-up with video of the 9/11 Memorial on September 12. Following the same process as the day before, they have to tell me whether memorials have value to them/communities/societies, and share why. This year, I added an additional point they had to discuss: should there be standards, or rules, for who a community could choose to memorialize? My student population is largely Hispanic and lower income.

Overall, they blew me away. They took positions that surprised me, their positions had supporting statements, and several students made connections/shared ideas that I hadn't heard from previous statements.

Sometimes it hard, but I put a lot of emphasis on developing their own opinions and being able to tell people why they feel that way. There was a lot of value in these activities, but I can understand why that might not work so well with adult populations.

If you guys have other people and events you think I should include in my 'special lessons' folder, let me know and I'll start a thread you can post in.

Comment

Curious to know why you had different expectations of lower income Hispanics.
      "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
      - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post
        Curious to know why you had different expectations of lower income Hispanics.
        Seriously? I don't know whether to laugh in your face or be dismissive. If that's all you walked away with, then you missed out.

Comment

Originally posted by Biscuit View Post
          Seriously? I don't know whether to laugh in your face or be dismissive. If that's all you walked away with, then you missed out.
          The former would never happen, you and I both know this. I'm not surprised that Hispanic kids have love for their country, so your story wasn't as shocking to me as it was to you.
          "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
          - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post
            The former would never happen, you and I both know this. I'm not surprised that Hispanic kids have love for their country, so your story wasn't as shocking to me as it was to you.
            I can't speak to PA, but around here students had been engaging in various forms of protest and speaking out. Student activism is encouraged and celebrated in this region. Being new to my school, I wasn't sure what to expect. Their behavior and sentiments were atypical for this region. Perhaps if you were more informed about the politics in this region, you would have understood. Or maybe you just wanted to troll for an argument?

Just out of curiosity, how much contact do you have with immigrant and Title I youth?

Comment

Well Biscuit I worked at an inner city school for 2 years it was very diverse many Arab Muslims there...they all love America and In addition to that I have been involved in social projects I have a ton of contact with immigrants ie Puerto Ricans, Russians and Arabs and more... and many of them agree with respecting the Roman Empire and the allies of WW2... It is beautiful.

In the 9/11 attack the aq members killed some innocent Muslims. Now btw God bless you for being a teacher, keep up the great work. It is my hope that schools across America teach about the honorable values of different cultures. In any discussion involving a massacre its easy for politically motivated groups to hijack the discussion for the worse...ie constantly calling aq members as "radical Muslims" but not saying anything about the Jihad that Muslims who team with Christians to fight ISIL take up.

At the inner city school I used to work at I once gave a speech to students(grade 1-8) and teachers where I praised the Crusaders and Arab Romans. Now some would think all Muslims are programmed to dislike the Catholics of the Crusader era or dislike American culture...couldnt be farther from the truth.

My speech was about unity and it was a fight back against those bigots who want to tear down great religions like Islam and Christianity religions which have inspired bad things but also have inspired greatness and love and the latter is the true values of these religions. For my speech in which I praised Christian and Muslim leaders of the middle ages.... I was given a long applause by the teachers and students, it was one of the great moments of my life because I knew at least I gave an effort one time like you do each day as a teacher.
              Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
              Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X