X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ljadw
    replied
    Originally posted by Bass_Man86 View Post
    Funny, I just looked at CNN and they still have a search function.
    The motto of CNN is :search and you will not find .

Leave a comment:

• T. A. Gardner
    replied
    That is a whopper to say the least. Freedom of the Press is the First Amendment in the Bill of Rights; that should tell you the importance that the Founding Fathers placed on the press. I have to call BS on this one. I agree that it was the World Wide Web that created the information echo chamber that you referred to. However your idea that "amateurs and semi-pros of the internet are taking the mantle of being the reporters of news while the MSM slowly dies off" is no cause to rejoice. See the purveyors of fake news below for example.
    I don't see this as a particularly good thing either. But, when the so-called professionals are overwhelmingly of one narrow political mindset, and many of the larger outlets are more interested in ratings and profit than accuracy and facts, there is a serious problem that needs to be fixed, or they will end up being replaced.

Right now, the later is happening.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Okay, what does this have to do with freedom of speech?
    It doesn't. I posted several new threads in a row, and somehow they all ended up under the same single thread about the challenge to free speech.

Apologies for the confusion.

I hate this laptop...

Leave a comment:

• TacCovert4
    replied
    That is a whopper to say the least. Freedom of the Press is the First Amendment in the Bill of Rights; that should tell you the importance that the Founding Fathers placed on the press. I have to call BS on this one. I agree that it was the World Wide Web that created the information echo chamber that you referred to. However your idea that "amateurs and semi-pros of the internet are taking the mantle of being the reporters of news while the MSM slowly dies off" is no cause to rejoice. See the purveyors of fake news below for example.
    Fake news has always been around, ever since the founding of our country.

The Founding Fathers put high emphasis on freedom of the press, expecting that the intelligent citizenry would see between the lines to what's real and what's fake news.

I think that the issue the Founding Fathers would have with our media today is that the MSM is a relatively monolithic bloc. The ideological statism within our media would be an issue for a people who prided themselves on an independent press.

Leave a comment:

• Bass_Man86
    replied
    The city getting rich from fake news

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    I think a big part of it is the media doesn't police its own, and that today there's a near lockstep thinking among journalists and much of the media. When 80%+ of journalists and those working at MSM news rooms are Democrats and another 10% lean that way there's a problem. You get a monolithic point-of-view out of that.

What it's gotten the MSM is nobody is listening to them any more. They aren't trusted, and aren't taken at their word. It was one more reason Hillary lost. You've seen those CNN clips where they come right out and say they're a bunch of shills for her. That just makes anyone with a different view stop paying any attention to what they have to say.

At the same time, those with a like mindset (eg., Democrats and Progressives) are being put in an echo chamber where all they hear is slathering platitudes and stuff they want to hear. They don't get the opposing view, not they're interested in even hearing it.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/publ...ry_trustworthy

Problem? Methinks so.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/195542/am...s-new-low.aspx

The MSM is a dinosaur in an echo chamber. The Left created this problem in universities over decades where Leftist professors indoctrinated the people now filling newsrooms. Outside academia however, the public at large figured out what was going on. They weren't stupid sheep to be lead around like those academics thought and taught their students. Now we're seeing the results.

The amateurs and semi-pros of the internet are taking the mantle of being the reporters of news while the MSM slowly dies off. The only way I can see the MSM fixing this is to make a concerted effort to diversify their worker's political points-of-view, but we know that's not going to happen. So, they're doomed.

After copying and pasting various articles, he packaged them under a catchy new headline, paid Facebook to share it with a target US audience hungry for Trump news and then when those Americans clicked on his stories and began to like and share them, he began earning revenue from advertising on the site.

Goran says he worked on the fakery for only a month and earned about 1,800 euros (£1,500) - but his mates, he claims, have been earning thousands of euros a day. When I ask him if he worries that his false news might have unfairly influenced voters in America, he scoffs.

"Teenagers in our city don't care how Americans vote," he laughs. "They are only satisfied that they make money and can buy expensive clothes and drinks!"
    http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-38168281

Leave a comment:

• Paddybhoy
    replied
    At the same time, those with a like mindset (eg., Democrats and Progressives) are being put in an echo chamber where all they hear is slathering platitudes and stuff they want to hear. They don't get the opposing view, not they're interested in even hearing it.
    Echos in media?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NYXkM7460U

Leave a comment:

• T. A. Gardner
    replied
    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    But who is to blame? The lying politicians and pubic officials? The biased media and their spin doctors? Or the apathetic people themselves?
    I think a big part of it is the media doesn't police its own, and that today there's a near lockstep thinking among journalists and much of the media. When 80%+ of journalists and those working at MSM news rooms are Democrats and another 10% lean that way there's a problem. You get a monolithic point-of-view out of that.

What it's gotten the MSM is nobody is listening to them any more. They aren't trusted, and aren't taken at their word. It was one more reason Hillary lost. You've seen those CNN clips where they come right out and say they're a bunch of shills for her. That just makes anyone with a different view stop paying any attention to what they have to say.

Fifty-six percent (56%) of all voters regard the news reported by the media as at least somewhat trustworthy, but that includes just six percent who think it is Very Trustworthy. Forty-two percent (42%) don’t trust the news media, with 12% who believe the news it reports is Not At All Trustworthy.**
    http://www.rasmussenreports.com/publ...ry_trustworthy

Problem? Methinks so.

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Americans' trust and confidence in the mass media "to report the news fully, accurately and fairly" has dropped to its lowest level in Gallup polling history, with 32% saying they have a great deal or fair amount of trust in the media. This is down eight percentage points from last year.
    http://www.gallup.com/poll/195542/am...s-new-low.aspx

The MSM is a dinosaur in an echo chamber. The Left created this problem in universities over decades where Leftist professors indoctrinated the people now filling newsrooms. Outside academia however, the public at large figured out what was going on. They weren't stupid sheep to be lead around like those academics thought and taught their students. Now we're seeing the results.

The amateurs and semi-pros of the internet are taking the mantle of being the reporters of news while the MSM slowly dies off. The only way I can see the MSM fixing this is to make a concerted effort to diversify their worker's political points-of-view, but we know that's not going to happen. So, they're doomed.

Leave a comment:

• Bass_Man86
    replied
    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    All of the MSM except Fox have removed their SEARCH function from their websites.
    Funny, I just looked at CNN and they still have a search function.

Leave a comment:

• Bass_Man86
    replied
    And what does this have to do with freedom of speech? Although to address this, Bob Menendez is unlikely to get in trouble for the same reasons that the former governor of Virginia got off the hook.
    Last edited by Bass_Man86; 14 Sep 17, 12:29.

Leave a comment:

• Bass_Man86
    replied
    Okay, what does this have to do with freedom of speech?

Leave a comment:

• G David Bock
    replied
    More "fake news"/"alternative facts" ???
    WATCH: Photographer Explains How CBS Uses Color Adjustments To Make Steve Bannon ‘Look Bad’ On 60 Minutes
    “It seems like 60 minutes would like you to listen less and look more at Steve Bannon. By subtly tweaking the color of the video, they make him look like a bleary-eyed drunk. I show you how they did it,” writes Duke on the video’s YouTube page.

Peter Duke has photographed Milo Yiannopoulos, Scott Adams and James O’Keefe.

In the video, Duke explains how CBS color adjusted Bannon’s shots to make his eyes and lips red by increasing the level of saturation. This results in curtains that are a brighter orange behind Bannon than they are in Charlie Rose’s shot. Rose’s shot was made “cooler,” to make the host’s make-up more subtle.

Duke then adjusted the interview’s lighting, removing Bannon’s redness and Rose’s “coolness.”
    http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2017...ad-60-minutes/

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    CNN's crappy news and false reporting is obvious of late. The WaPo is nearly as bad with stories by nameless sources, and outright made up stuff.
    At least FOX, the NYT, and Breitbart try to use facts, even if they spin the message to their own political point of view.
    Info Wars is as much crazy as it is right. The problem is it's hard to tell the crazy from the stuff that's correct.
    Rush isn't news, he's political opinion... Or, don't you know the difference? Or, is it you don't care if there is a difference? MSNBC is the same way just not as obvious. For much of the Progressive side of politics, news, opinion, and rumor are all one in the same thing these days anyway...
    But who is to blame? The lying politicians and pubic officials? The biased media and their spin doctors? Or the apathetic people themselves?

Leave a comment:

• T. A. Gardner
    replied
    Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
    Like Fox and Britbart. Both good sources for the TRUTH. Oh, forgot Info Wars and Rush who is 99% always factual, according to himself.
    CNN's crappy news and false reporting is obvious of late. The WaPo is nearly as bad with stories by nameless sources, and outright made up stuff.
    At least FOX, the NYT, and Breitbart try to use facts, even if they spin the message to their own political point of view.
    Info Wars is as much crazy as it is right. The problem is it's hard to tell the crazy from the stuff that's correct.
    Rush isn't news, he's political opinion... Or, don't you know the difference? Or, is it you don't care if there is a difference? MSNBC is the same way just not as obvious. For much of the Progressive side of politics, news, opinion, and rumor are all one in the same thing these days anyway...

Leave a comment:

• TactiKill J.
    replied
    Another right wing conspiracy theory debunked in 30 seconds.

Leave a comment:

• Half Pint John
    replied
    ABC & NBC have search functions in the upper right. Same for BBC and CNN International. Same place for search, upper right.

So just what are you talking about?

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X