Irma - the next big storm - target Florida

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MarkV View Post
    Its all relative and depends what people are used to and what they are geared up to deal with. I was in Jersey (the real one not the new faux US one) many years ago on business one December and it snowed which is unusual for Jersey. There was oh at least a quarter of an inch on most roads and the police put out a warning on the morning radio advising people not to drive!
    My sister-in-law lives in Toms River, about 90mi south of NYC, and they average more snow than Brooklyn.

And New Jersey's existence is owed to two English felons: George Carteret -- native of Jersey, and John Berkeley. In return for their "loyalty" to the Stuarts during the Protectorate, the two suspected embezzlers were granted a patent to a portion of Downstate New York west of the Hudson River. Today Berkeley NJ is known for having nearly been swept away by Hurricane Sandy

and Carteret's claim to fame is industrial pollution. You're welcome to take back all of New Jersey as far as I'm concerned, just so long as you take the people, too: they make Scousers looked civilized.
    I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

• Originally posted by jonny87kz View Post
      😂
      Isn't that like saying "Love Canal, a great place to live and raise a family!"

Comment

• Well Irma has come and gone in North Florida. For us it was not as bad as Hermine who's eye hit shore about 20 miles from my house. The only damage Irma did to us was it ripped one sheet of metal off of my shed's roof and brought down a bunch of limbs. We were without power for around 1.5 - 2 days but it was still rather cool in the aftermath of the storm so it was bearable. It hurt S. Florida a lot more than us as it broke apart quickly while it was coming up the state. It was good to take a hot shower last night for me and I suspect for the others around me .

Those of you who have been saying stuff about living in a hurricane prone area are correct, you need to be as prepared as possible but it is hard to be prepared for everything that can happen. Some weird things can happen. I personally think it would be much worse to live in an area of high tornado activity. Those things are scary, at least with a hurricane you have plenty of warning.

We spent the hurricane at my mother's home (about 12 miles from my house) . She is 82 and we did not want her to ride it out alone and she did not want to leave her house. Her house is a sturdy brick house so we felt it was safe there for her and us so we went there to keep her company.

“Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.” -- Albert Einstein

The US Constitution doesn't need to be rewritten it needs to be reread

Comment

• Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
          Maybe. Irene and Sandy were in consecutive years, which was unusual. Normally we get one hurricane per decade. And when we do get a 'cane, it's F-1, not F-5. After cleaning out my in-laws basement following Sandy, I'd much rather the snow.

That's pretty funny -- since the prison employs what percentage of Auburn's residents (90%-plus) and the inmate population is Downstaters (90%-plus)? Auburn must be unique in that it's one of the few towns in America that's making out on the War on Drugs. And being only a stone's throw from Cortland, would it be fair to assume that Auburn has its own Klavern?
          Sorry slick, there is more to upstate than isolated pockets of frozen prison employees. The DOC is high on the list of employers but in no way accounts for 90%. http://www.cayugaeda.org/doing-busin...jor-employers/
          This does not include people who live in Auburn but work in Syracuse.
          Upstate annoyance with NYC is mostly over voters there give us imbeciles like Cuomo and his idiotic ban on fracking and the SAFE act.
          "A foe who had fought so long and valiantly, and had suffered so much for a cause, though that cause was, I believe, one of the worst for which a people ever fought, and one for which there was the least excuse." Ulysses S. Grant

Comment

• Time for a good story....

WATCH: Tim Tebow visits World War II veteran in Hurricane Irma shelter

Totally uplifted by this #ww2 veteran, who's spirit and talents encouraged his fellow visitors at this Special Needs Shelter! #irma pic.twitter.com/2q1nH7EHz0

— Tim Tebow (@TimTebow) September 11, 2017
            "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

• As of 2:45pm today the Powers back at my place. lost it at 9pm, Sunday

Comment

• Originally posted by jonny87kz View Post
                Sorry slick, there is more to upstate than isolated pockets of frozen prison employees. The DOC is high on the list of employers but in no way accounts for 90%. http://www.cayugaeda.org/doing-busin...jor-employers/
                This does not include people who live in Auburn but work in Syracuse.
                There's work in Syracuse? Since Carrier left?

I love Upstate: my mother grew up just a stone's throw from Albany. Got me cousins all over, from Ithaca to Rochester to Plattsburgh and many many points in between. And that's how I know that the job-creation picture north of Poughkeepsie is pretty dreadful, and has been for better than three decades. Leave out the public sector, and job growth Upstate has been net negative for years. The employment picture has been so lousy Upstate that population growth has also been -- like job growth -- net negative for a long time. There was a reason that the Buffalo Bills were playing home games in Toronto -- and it wasn't 'cause they had a hankering for Molson.

Originally posted by jonny87kz View Post
                Upstate annoyance with NYC is mostly over voters there give us imbeciles like Cuomo and his idiotic ban on fracking and the SAFE act.
                Andrew Cuomo . . . . Genuine pr*ck. At least the father had some integrity, which is far more than can be said for the son. Don't get too haughty, though: Upstate gave us twelve years of the mouth-breather George Pataki.
                I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

• Nah, ...

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                  There's work in Syracuse? Since Carrier left?

I love Upstate: my mother grew up just a stone's throw from Albany. Got me cousins all over, from Ithaca to Rochester to Plattsburgh and many many points in between. And that's how I know that the job-creation picture north of Poughkeepsie is pretty dreadful, and has been for better than three decades. Leave out the public sector, and job growth Upstate has been net negative for years. The employment picture has been so lousy Upstate that population growth has also been -- like job growth -- net negative for a long time. There was a reason that the Buffalo Bills were playing home games in Toronto -- and it wasn't 'cause they had a hankering for Molson.
                  ... it was the beer. I mean, Molson Canadian vs. Genny, is there really a choice?

Ever been to Weedsport? I spent a month there one night.
                  "I am Groot"
                  - Groot

Comment

• UN will give Cuba a lot of $,but what will receive US ? As usual only blame .

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X