Chicago-area soda tax may carry political price for backers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicago-area soda tax may carry political price for backers

CHICAGO (AP) — When a local government leader passed the deciding vote on a penny-per-ounce soda tax, she said it would generate enough money to balance the county budget while making people in Chicago and the surrounding suburbs healthier.

But so far, the tax seems mostly to have created problems for Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle, who until recently was so popular many considered her the only possible candidate who could unseat Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel.

Opponents have filed lawsuits, a federal agency warned Illinois could lose millions in funding for food stamp benefits and store owners have complained of plummeting sales. There are signs angry residents could hold it against Preckwinkle and other pro-tax commissioners seeking re-election next year.

“It feels like every time you turn around they have their hand in your pocket,” said Jim Taylor of Chicago, who paid $2.56 in new taxes for two 128-ounce plastic jugs of diet iced tea at a grocery store west of the city. “It’s ridiculous. They should all go.”
    https://apnews.com/70d2a4268dba4642b...ce-for-backers

I won't vote for any local taxes until federal taxes are lowered
    That means that for years to come, the city will continue to spend nearly every penny of the $1.2 billion-plus collected from property taxes each year to pay down debt and fund employee pension systems, leaving almost nothing for day-to-day city operations. A small amount is used to cover library operating costs.
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...708-story.html

wiki says more than 40% of Illinois residents live in Cook County-2nd most populous in the US--wow!
    ..I keep reading about how pensions are a major reason for government debt.....
    ..anyway, Chicago appears to be in big financial trouble--correct?

I'm no business or financial expert--is it even possible to bring this debt down to almost 0, without major cuts and/or tax increases? key word major
    thanks all replies

Comment

Originally posted by Moulin View Post
      I won't vote for any local taxes until federal taxes are lowered

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...708-story.html

wiki says more than 40% of Illinois residents live in Cook County-2nd most populous in the US--wow!
      ..I keep reading about how pensions are a major reason for government debt.....
      ..anyway, Chicago appears to be in big financial trouble--correct?

I'm no business or financial expert--is it even possible to bring this debt down to almost 0, without major cuts and/or tax increases? key word major
      thanks all replies

Chicago is in awful shape. UNfortunately, Chicago politicians have a significant amount of control over the rest of the state of illinois.

They are now very close to passing legislation that would result in property taxes intended for local schools elsewhere in the state being redirected into the bankrupt, corrupt and failing chicago school system.
      This is claimed to be in the interest of fairness, but it rewards chicago for its corrupt failure to fund its own pension system.
      Now that responsibility will be shifted to the rest of the state.
      And they wonder why Illinois is losing population.
      Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post
        Chicago is in awful shape. UNfortunately, Chicago politicians have a significant amount of control over the rest of the state of illinois.

Cermack, Kelly, Daley etc Hasn't Chicago always been subject to mismanagement and corruption? Indeed if you stir in Capone and Nitty into the mess hasn't it been a byword for it since prohibition? At least from the outsider's viewpoint that's how it looks.
        Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
        Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

When a local government leader passed the deciding vote on a penny-per-ounce soda tax
          It's "pop" you heathens.

Tuebor

Comment

Expect a black market on soda there soon, if there already isn't one...

It happened in Mexico after they did something like that...

http://www.ibtimes.com/mexico-may-se...prices-1537658

Also, the unintended consequences of this in Philadelphia (1.5 cent per ounce tax) were not what the city expected.

http://www.wnd.com/2017/03/hows-that...x-working-out/

As a direct result of the nanny tax, there is a 40 percent drop in sales – and the Philadelphia Pepsi distributor Ed works for has sent out layoffs notices to between 80 and 100 employees. Now, you might say that 100 is not a big number. You might be wrong That’s almost a quarter of the distributor’s entire workforce of 423.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
              Expect a black market on soda there soon, if there already isn't one...

It happened in Mexico after they did something like that...

http://www.ibtimes.com/mexico-may-se...prices-1537658

Also, the unintended consequences of this in Philadelphia (1.5 cent per ounce tax) were not what the city expected.

http://www.wnd.com/2017/03/hows-that...x-working-out/
              sounds like MObama's school meals program--stupid

Comment

sounds like MObama's school meals program--stupid
                Of course, Chicago is one of those cities where the public schools officially... officially... teach students to be snowflakes...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little..._School_Campus

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                  Of course, Chicago is one of those cities where the public schools officially... officially... teach students to be snowflakes...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little..._School_Campus
                  I never did get how hunger strikers could win.....

Comment

It only works in a nations like America, where bleeding heart liberals refuse to let someone starve themselves. Practically speaking, if someone refuses to eat, that's their right, which means it doesn't work in common sense countries.

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

By killing off those holding them. We all win!

Comment

Originally posted by Tuebor View Post
                        It's "pop" you heathens.

Tuebor
                        Carbonated Beverages is the official term.

What is insanely stupid about this tax is that it is also being levied on the diet stuff as well.

The results, Sales of carbonated beverages in the city will drop to near zero as it provides a boom to the stores in the surrounding suburbs. That will greatly affect the area convenience stores, fast food restaurants, and quick marts throughout the area. City ones will suffer a major loss of business as the surrounding ones get a lot of extra business.
                        “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Me neither. I would've held a BBQ....
                          "A foe who had fought so long and valiantly, and had suffered so much for a cause, though that cause was, I believe, one of the worst for which a people ever fought, and one for which there was the least excuse." Ulysses S. Grant

Comment

Originally posted by jonny87kz View Post
                            Me neither. I would've held a BBQ....
                            hahahah..good one

Comment

Originally posted by SRV Ron View Post
                              Carbonated Beverages is the official term.

What is insanely stupid about this tax is that it is also being levied on the diet stuff as well.

The results, Sales of carbonated beverages in the city will drop to near zero as it provides a boom to the stores in the surrounding suburbs. That will greatly affect the area convenience stores, fast food restaurants, and quick marts throughout the area. City ones will suffer a major loss of business as the surrounding ones get a lot of extra business.
                              The real humor would be someone decides to sue the city over the tax being imposed on their buying say an unsweetened tea at a convenience store from the soda machine...

No sugar, no carbonation, no tax... but it is still imposed...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X