Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it time to stop calling college kids Millennials?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is it time to stop calling college kids Millennials?

    A few days ago on Fox I heard one of the commentators talking about Millennial protestors. I've found myself thinking it's about time to retire the term. The term as it was originally coined was intended to refer to people coming of age around the millennium. I know that pop culture and media wise it is used to refer to people younger than that but more and more I've found the term unfitting.

    In this day and age "generations" are shorter than they used to be. The rapid evolution of technology and social mores are such that it doesn't take as long as it used to for one group of kids to have a completely different formative experience than one even a handful of years ahead.

    People who came of age during the millennium can remember life without internet, the tail end of the Cold War, and a period of time where Saddam Hussein was America's number one antagonist. They can remember the tail end of the film industry's anti military bend and the resurgence of patriotism during Desert Storm and through the 90s. And they can remember all of the War on Terror and the many lessons to come from it.

    Today's college Freshman can't even remember the millennium and likely not even 9/11, would have only spotty recollections of the high water mark of Iraqi Freedom, and is more familiar with ISIS than Saddam Hussein. They were born in the age of the internet and grew up so thoroughly steeped in it that today's teenager often finds Facebook to be the old people website. They've seen a lot less national idealism and a lot more national cynicism. And they don't have much in common with people who can remember sticking quarters into Qbert machines.

    Today it seems like "millennial" has gone from a generational classification to shorthand for "stupid college kid". And as someone who came of age during the Millennium and is 35 I kind of feel like the term is aging. And I've said this before, all college kids are dumb. You can't really judge the fruits of a generation until they mature intellectually as well as physically.
    A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

  • #2
    Oh dear Lord, we don't have a convenient label to cover a whole group of people with .... somebody will have to come up with a new Label!



    Should take about 30 seconds, if they don't already have one pre-packaged for immediate sale.

    Hey, its cool, Pirateship, I see what you are saying.
    I'm just so jaded to all of this.
    Beware of every subject that comes up in the media, there is always an agenda behind it.
    "Why is the Rum gone?"

    -Captain Jack

    Comment


    • #3
      $h!theads?
      Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

      Comment


      • #4
        Pew Research Center reports and data on the Millennial generation, those born after 1980 and the first generation to come of age in the new millennium.

        http://www.pewresearch.org/topics/millennials/

        Let's just refer to them as PS82s. Sounds catchy, don't you think.
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

        Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

        you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Pirateship1982 View Post
          A few days ago on Fox I heard one of the commentators talking about Millennial protestors. I've found myself thinking it's about time to retire the term. The term as it was originally coined was intended to refer to people coming of age around the millennium. I know that pop culture and media wise it is used to refer to people younger than that but more and more I've found the term unfitting.

          In this day and age "generations" are shorter than they used to be. The rapid evolution of technology and social mores are such that it doesn't take as long as it used to for one group of kids to have a completely different formative experience than one even a handful of years ahead.

          People who came of age during the millennium can remember life without internet, the tail end of the Cold War, and a period of time where Saddam Hussein was America's number one antagonist. They can remember the tail end of the film industry's anti military bend and the resurgence of patriotism during Desert Storm and through the 90s. And they can remember all of the War on Terror and the many lessons to come from it.

          Today's college Freshman can't even remember the millennium and likely not even 9/11, would have only spotty recollections of the high water mark of Iraqi Freedom, and is more familiar with ISIS than Saddam Hussein. They were born in the age of the internet and grew up so thoroughly steeped in it that today's teenager often finds Facebook to be the old people website. They've seen a lot less national idealism and a lot more national cynicism. And they don't have much in common with people who can remember sticking quarters into Qbert machines.

          Today it seems like "millennial" has gone from a generational classification to shorthand for "stupid college kid". And as someone who came of age during the Millennium and is 35 I kind of feel like the term is aging. And I've said this before, all college kids are dumb. You can't really judge the fruits of a generation until they mature intellectually as well as physically.
          Don't feel bad - my generation does not officially exist.
          Last edited by Mountain Man; 21 Aug 17, 16:57.
          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
            Pew Research Center reports and data on the Millennial generation, those born after 1980 and the first generation to come of age in the new millennium.

            http://www.pewresearch.org/topics/millennials/

            Let's just refer to them as PS82s. Sounds catchy, don't you think.
            Whiners sounds more accurate.
            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

            Comment


            • #7
              Anyone under the age of 40 is the same--a PUNK.

              Comment


              • #8
                What do you officially call someone born during WWII?

                You don't. The Greatest Generation (my parents) fought in the war, and the Baby Boomers officially started at 1946. Figure that one out.
                Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  What do you officially call someone born during WWII?

                  You don't. The Greatest Generation (my parents) fought in the war, and the Baby Boomers officially started at 1946. Figure that one out.
                  The generation between the Greatest and the Boomers is know as The Silent Generation.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by BigDog View Post
                    The generation between the Greatest and the Boomers is know as The Silent Generation.
                    Where is that officially listed? Because when I was growing up, we were part of the Baby Boomers, which made sense.

                    And incidentally, we are NOT "silent" in any way, shape or form.

                    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      Where is that officially listed? Because when I was growing up, we were part of the Baby Boomers, which made sense.

                      And incidentally, we are NOT "silent" in any way, shape or form.

                      It meant that your generation spent time working rather than talking.

                      http://study.com/academy/lesson/the-...ics-facts.html
                      Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

                      Prayers.

                      BoRG

                      http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
                        $h!theads?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          Because when I was growing up, we were part of the Baby Boomers, which made sense.


                          The baby boom was 1946 to 1964.

                          Not surprisingly there was a dip in births during World War II with so many men away who would have been in their prime years to start families.

                          In 46 the demographers noted an uptick in birth rates that continued until 1964 which is the end of the baby boom.

                          People born in the early 1940's are often lumped in with the baby boomers. On the other hand people like myself, and our recent president who were born in the early 1960's are often not thought to be baby boomers.

                          I think the use of generations to describe a group is overused. In most cases it is journalist over simplifying.

                          For example:

                          The generation that served in World War II is the "greatest generation".

                          The baby boomers were a bunch of pot smokers who all went to Woodstock.

                          Gen Xers all live in their mom's basement. They spend all day sitting in a bean bag chair eating cheetoos drinking Mountain Dew and playing video games. And call it multitasking.

                          Before the baby boom I never heard of the generations being named.
                          Last edited by 17thfabn; 21 Aug 17, 19:52.
                          "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Beatrice Evelyn Hall
                          Updated for the 21st century... except if you are criticizing islam, that scares the $hii+e out of me!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by johns624 View Post
                            Anyone under the age of 40 is the same--a PUNK.
                            I know you all are mostly joking when you make fun of the younger generations.

                            But remember most of those carrying the load in our current conflicts are under 40.
                            "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Beatrice Evelyn Hall
                            Updated for the 21st century... except if you are criticizing islam, that scares the $hii+e out of me!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Sounds cooler than boomers...

                              Just sayin...

                              On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

                              ACG History Today

                              BoRG

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X