X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dibble201Bty
    replied
    Originally posted by PGT Beauregard View Post
    As I always say to my Sweatheart, when I want to have the last word, I will say "Yes Darling"
    Bye, bye! Darling!

Paul
    Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 08 Sep 17, 09:37.

Leave a comment:

• PGT Beauregard
    replied
    Originally posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
    English replaced French as a Vernacular language under Edward III.

And though Edward lived too long for his reputation, the cruelty of the age could not wholly efface his achievements. His victories proved to be ephemeral, but they brought time. he maintained the concensus of the realm over many decades, through war, natural disaster and unprecedented social change, allowing its institutions to grow and its sense of unity mature. It could be said: he inherited a kingdom; he bequeathed a nation.

I'm still awaiting a link from you showing that:

Please!

England certainly paid homage to John II who vacillated after being captured by by his 'so called' vassal.

Paul

As I always say to my Sweatheart, when I want to have the last word, I will say "Yes Darling"

Leave a comment:

• Dibble201Bty
    replied
    English replaced French as a Vernacular language under Edward III.

And though Edward lived too long for his reputation, the cruelty of the age could not wholly efface his achievements. His victories proved to be ephemeral, but they brought time. he maintained the concensus of the realm over many decades, through war, natural disaster and unprecedented social change, allowing its institutions to grow and its sense of unity mature. It could be said: he inherited a kingdom; he bequeathed a nation.

I'm still awaiting a link from you showing that:

I remember that few years ago you had serious doubt that France won the 100 Years war
    Please!

England certainly paid homage to John II who vacillated after being captured by by his 'so called' vassal.

Paul
    Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 07 Sep 17, 10:56.

Leave a comment:

• PGT Beauregard
    replied
    I know that you, "les Anglais" are a bit touchy about this subject, but Guillaume le conquérent was duke of Normandy , Henri plantagenêt was count of Anjou and they were vassal of the French King. it's not because they became Kings of England that they didn't remain vassals of the French King. Schlusspunkt

Leave a comment:

• Surrey
    replied
    The English kingdom was never a vassal state of France, however the Norman English kings up to Edward 111 paid homage to the French kings for their French possessions only. The French king did not have any power over England, received no English taxes etc.

Edward 111 ceased to pay homage and proclaimed himself king of France based on being the closest male relative under male preference primagenitor.

Leave a comment:

• PGT Beauregard
    replied
    Originally posted by Gooner View Post
    No, the English King was never the vassal of the French king.
    Wrong

English was the language of the English court since Edward III.
    Wrong

French was the mother tongue of every English king from William the Conqueror until Henry IV (1399–1413). (from Wikipedia)
    Last edited by PGT Beauregard; 05 Sep 17, 04:32.

Leave a comment:

• PGT Beauregard
    replied

Last edited by PGT Beauregard; 05 Sep 17, 04:32.

Leave a comment:

• Gooner
    replied
    [B]Having read the usual [email protected] concerning French History written by the "Anglais" and their a$$lickers, I have to point that :

- 1. The English Kingdom was at the time,a vassal of the French Kingdom
    Except technically, possibly, in their role of Dukes of Normandy, Counts of Anjou etc

- 4. French would have remained the official language of the English Court

Leave a comment:

• Dibble201Bty
    replied
    Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
    Henry V also married the daughter of the King of France and the King said Henry could have his throne when he died. There was a small problem as the King of France had a son that was not consulted. The King of France had mental problems which were passed on to Henry VI. I can't say if his son and daughter had them as well.

Pruitt
    It was the norm for Kings and Queens Princes and Princesses to Marry in to the monarchy of other countries to cement diplomatic and military alliances. The French monarchy had Welsh, Scottish, English Savoyard and Bavarian lines.

Though he was a Plantagenet king of the house of Lancaster, Hal V was English, neither of his parents or grand parents were foreign. If I recall correctly, It was a great grandmother who had Portuguese blood.

That madness of Charles seems similar to that which afflicted George III of England. If so, monarchy inter-marrying had its consequences for the decendants and Hemophilia the other well noted affliction within the ruling houses of Europe.

Paul

Leave a comment:

• Dibble201Bty
    replied
    Henry V Plantagenet who spoke french (and ate frog legs and snales with garlic ),a typical french guy, king of England.
    It doesn't matter what Hal ate, or spoke. (He spoke the common language, English too) He knew what side his bread was buttered (cuisine neutral). He knew who he could trust and if you have any evidence that he would have forsaken his English power base, you should post it here.

I remember that few years ago you had serious doubt that France won the 100 Years war, now it's even better: two face French type, ready to stab you in the back, what's next, you are going to tell us that the Scots were wrong to fight alongside with us.
    Well, well! This little carrot (purple in colour until the dutch made it orange). Perhaps you could provide a link.

As for the Scots, they would have been trouble whatever. They were and are a proud people, It can only be expected. You French on the other hand, have bullied and invaded other countries in Europe even as that tart you toasted, cooled.

Thanks to Joan of Arc then, we have gained 300 years of freedom and progress.
    Well of course you did! What with all those Louis' dishing out good peoples rights, laws, roses, cherubs, gold and silver to their left and right whilst skipping through the towns and fields of the great Provinces!

If I may give an advise, stay in Napoleonic and WWII sub-forums, at least you know the subject very well

And my advice to you is to not not delude yourself that you are somewhat proficient

Paul

Leave a comment:

• Pruitt
    replied
    Henry V also married the daughter of the King of France and the King said Henry could have his throne when he died. There was a small problem as the King of France had a son that was not consulted. The King of France had mental problems which were passed on to Henry VI. I can't say if his son and daughter had them as well.

Pruitt

Leave a comment:

• BELGRAVE
    replied
    Henry V Plantagenet who spoke french (and ate frog legs and snales with garlic ),a typical french guy, king of England.

I remember that few years ago you had serious doubt that France won the 100 Years war, now it's even better: two face French type, ready to stab you in the back, what's next, you are going to tell us that the Scots were wrong to fight alongside with us.

If I may give an advise, stay in Napoleonic and WWII sub-forums, at least you know the subject very well
    All the more reason why Joan of Arc should be honoured.

Leave a comment:

• PGT Beauregard
    replied
    Henry V

the two-faced French types which caused all that 100+ years of trouble and piracy.

We probably wouldn't be posting comments on the internet because today would be the equivalent of about 1717 instead of 2017

Leave a comment:

• Dibble201Bty
    replied
    Having read the usual [email protected] concerning French History written by the "Anglais" and their a$$lickers, I have to point that :

- 1. The English Kingdom was at the time,a vassal of the French Kingdom

- 2. The Plantagenet was a French family (from Anjou)

- 3. If England had won the 100 Years, Paris would have been the capital of this united Kingdom (as Henry V had decided before he died)

- 4. French would have remained the official language of the English Court

which means that England would have become French not the other way round. Carry on telling Fairy tales about the glorious History , it makes me laugh
    Anyway! Henry V would still have preferred his English lords as opposed those two-faced French types which caused all that 100+ years of trouble and piracy. And his wool trade would be far to valuable to risk by alienating his original powerbase. Mind you! We probably wouldn't be posting comments on the internet because today would be the equivalent of about 1717 instead of 2017

Paul

Leave a comment:

• T. A. Gardner
    replied
    Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
    So you're saying that -- by extension -- Americans would smell like unpasteurized cheese?

Rimshot
    Ever been to Disneyland on a hot day...? We already do...

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X