Joan of Arc statue targeted - "Tear it Down"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
    Which Otto? Victoria also had a bunch of descendants that moved to Germany. Phillip is definitely from a German family. He may well be a cousin of Elizabeth as well.

The Royal Families of Greece and Bulgaria were from minor German nobility.

Pruitt
    Albert, the Prince Consort perhaps ?
    There were so many German states prior to 1871 ,all with Royal Families,so it was a fertile and useful ground for obtaining a required Prince or Princess when needed throughout the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries.

Thus, almost all the crowned heads of Europe had a strong German connection, including-and especially- Russia.
    "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
    Samuel Johnson.

Comment

The problem was many of these German families believed in marrying cousins.

Pruitt
      Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Pruitt
        True enough.
        "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
        Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Wilhelm II, Nicholas II, and George V were all cousins, and Nicholas and George could have been twins.

The Hapsburgs intermarried often, sometimes too close.

On a lighter note, if you have read To Kill A Mockingbird, you would have noticed that the author made a comment about the county in which the novel takes place in that there were a lot of residents who looked alike.

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
            Are you sure? Perhaps Wilhelm I would have been crowned German Kaiser in London at a slightly later date.
            Anglosphere of France would have precluded the influence of a Dutch and German monarchy on the English throne, thus no Victoria and no Kaiser Bill

Paul
            ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
            All human ills he can subdue,
            Or with a bauble or medal
            Can win mans heart for you;
            And many a blessing know to stew
            To make a megloamaniac bright;
            Give honour to the dainty Corse,
            The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

Pruitt
              For obvious reasons, who were justified in this period .

Comment

Having read the usual [email protected] concerning French History written by the "Anglais" and their a$$lickers, I have to point that :

- 1. The English Kingdom was at the time,a vassal of the French Kingdom

- 2. The Plantagenet was a French family (from Anjou)

- 3. If England had won the 100 Years, Paris would have been the capital of this united Kingdom (as Henry V had decided before he died)

- 4. French would have remained the official language of the English Court

which means that England would have become French not the other way round. Carry on telling Fairy tales about the glorious History , it makes me laugh
                ŕ vaincre sans péril, on triomphe sans gloire (triumph without peril brings no glory) P. Corneille

Le probleme avec les cons, c'est qu'il ne se fatiguent jamais
                (The problem with Pr.cks, is that they never get tired ) Michel Audiard

Comment

Originally posted by PGT Beauregard View Post
                  Having read the usual [email protected] concerning French History written by the "Anglais" and their a$$lickers, I have to point that :

- 3. If England had won the 100 Years, Paris would have been the capital of this united Kingdom (as Henry V had decided before he died)

which means that England would have become French not the other way round. Carry on telling Fairy tales about the glorious History , it makes me laugh
                  So you're saying that -- by extension -- Americans would smell like unpasteurized cheese?

Rimshot
                  I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                    So you're saying that -- by extension -- Americans would smell like unpasteurized cheese?

Rimshot
                    Ever been to Disneyland on a hot day...? We already do...

Comment

Anyway! Henry V would still have preferred his English lords as opposed those two-faced French types which caused all that 100+ years of trouble and piracy. And his wool trade would be far to valuable to risk by alienating his original powerbase. Mind you! We probably wouldn't be posting comments on the internet because today would be the equivalent of about 1717 instead of 2017

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
                        Henry V
                        Henry V Plantagenet who spoke french (and ate frog legs and snales with garlic ),a typical french guy, king of England.

the two-faced French types which caused all that 100+ years of trouble and piracy.
                        I remember that few years ago you had serious doubt that France won the 100 Years war, now it's even better: two face French type, ready to stab you in the back, what's next, you are going to tell us that the Scots were wrong to fight alongside with us.

We probably wouldn't be posting comments on the internet because today would be the equivalent of about 1717 instead of 2017
                        Thanks to Joan of Arc then, we have gained 300 years of freedom and progress.

If I may give an advise, stay in Napoleonic and WWII sub-forums, at least you know the subject very well
                        ŕ vaincre sans péril, on triomphe sans gloire (triumph without peril brings no glory) P. Corneille

Le probleme avec les cons, c'est qu'il ne se fatiguent jamais
                        (The problem with Pr.cks, is that they never get tired ) Michel Audiard

Comment

Henry V Plantagenet who spoke french (and ate frog legs and snales with garlic ),a typical french guy, king of England.

I remember that few years ago you had serious doubt that France won the 100 Years war, now it's even better: two face French type, ready to stab you in the back, what's next, you are going to tell us that the Scots were wrong to fight alongside with us.

If I may give an advise, stay in Napoleonic and WWII sub-forums, at least you know the subject very well
                          All the more reason why Joan of Arc should be honoured.
                          Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Henry V also married the daughter of the King of France and the King said Henry could have his throne when he died. There was a small problem as the King of France had a son that was not consulted. The King of France had mental problems which were passed on to Henry VI. I can't say if his son and daughter had them as well.

Pruitt
                            Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

It doesn't matter what Hal ate, or spoke. (He spoke the common language, English too) He knew what side his bread was buttered (cuisine neutral). He knew who he could trust and if you have any evidence that he would have forsaken his English power base, you should post it here.

Well, well! This little carrot (purple in colour until the dutch made it orange). Perhaps you could provide a link.

As for the Scots, they would have been trouble whatever. They were and are a proud people, It can only be expected. You French on the other hand, have bullied and invaded other countries in Europe even as that tart you toasted, cooled.

Well of course you did! What with all those Louis' dishing out good peoples rights, laws, roses, cherubs, gold and silver to their left and right whilst skipping through the towns and fields of the great Provinces!

And my advice to you is to not not delude yourself that you are somewhat proficient

Paul

Comment

Henry V also married the daughter of the King of France and the King said Henry could have his throne when he died. There was a small problem as the King of France had a son that was not consulted. The King of France had mental problems which were passed on to Henry VI. I can't say if his son and daughter had them as well.

Pruitt
                                It was the norm for Kings and Queens Princes and Princesses to Marry in to the monarchy of other countries to cement diplomatic and military alliances. The French monarchy had Welsh, Scottish, English Savoyard and Bavarian lines.

Though he was a Plantagenet king of the house of Lancaster, Hal V was English, neither of his parents or grand parents were foreign. If I recall correctly, It was a great grandmother who had Portuguese blood.

That madness of Charles seems similar to that which afflicted George III of England. If so, monarchy inter-marrying had its consequences for the decendants and Hemophilia the other well noted affliction within the ruling houses of Europe.

Paul

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse