Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joan of Arc statue targeted - "Tear it Down"

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by Salinator View Post
    It wasn't obvious to you I was being sarcastic?
    There is an art to being sarcastic. Obviously it is not one of your strengths. Perhaps that is why there is a sarcasm omiticon here? Next time why don't you remember to use it?

    Following warnings is not one of your strengths.

    Last warning.

    Knock it off with the personal comments and criticism of other posters.

    BW
    Last edited by Bad Wolf; 23 Aug 17, 17:35.

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by Surrey View Post
      And he could have been king of France again if the French had had a bit more guts in 1940....
      An interesting "what if" theme that deserves to be explored:if it hasn't already..
      But surely Joan deserves to be honoured for being an inspirational leader, and remembering that her success saved England from being mired in endless dynastic squabbles on the European continent.
      "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
      Samuel Johnson.

      Comment


      • #48


        Originally posted by ljadw View Post
        As usual Massena is proving a total lack of knowledge of the subject he is discussing : Joan was not judged,condemned and executed by the British, but by the French .

        And why should it not be allowed to execute a woman ? There is equality between men and women .
        My worst jump story:
        My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
        As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
        No lie.

        ~
        "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
        -2 Commando Jumpmaster

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          Probably never, since history now informs us that the builders were workmen brought in by the Pharaoh to work on his tomb, a great honor, and not slaves as previously believed.

          To paraphrase: In a word of insanity, the sane will be kings.

          Tomb? I thought they where landing platforms for spaceships for extraterrestrial slavers?

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by Massena View Post
            You're correct-the British didn't do it, as the British didn't exist yet. The English and Burgundians were complicit in her capture and execution.

            The bishop that gave the order of execution was pro-English. So your point is moot as well as incorrect. It was judicial/ecclesiastical murder.
            The bishop was not English .

            It was not murder following the norms of the 15th century . As usual you are judging the past,using the norms of the present ,because you have no historical perspective .

            First she admitted that she was guilty and got live .Afterwards she retracted and was delivered to a secular court and got capital punishment . Hundred years before the same thing happened when the grandmaster of the order of the Templars retracted his confession and was burned instead of live .

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by Stonewall_Jack View Post
              Your thinking of Burgundians or French born supporters of the English cause similar to how some French, Americans and Brits stood for the Third Reich in the years leading to and during WW2. The judge who persecuted Joan was Pierre Cauchon who was indeed French but also was an admirer of the English. Also should be noted that while Catholics opposed Joan of Arc that later the Church overturned the conviction of Joan in 1445. The times of Joan of Arc were before the new Protestant religion came forth. Its interesting to read of the divide between Catholic England and Catholic France during the middle ages, two societies home to such grand and well respected figures of history...men and women whom united for a righteous cause in uniting Catholics to secure their Christian homeland of Jerusalem....only to fight with each other later on in history.
              Joan is as saint as I am : she has received sainthood for political motives = to improve the relations between France and the Vatican .She was a soldier,leading an army, that was killing people =other soldiers and civilians .

              Her trial was annulled in 1456,when the French had won and she became a saint in 1920,when France had won WWI and when there was a right wing government that reestablished diplomatic relations with the Vatican . If France had lost, Joan would not have been canonized, but the Vatican would have canonized a German .

              It's all politics .

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by ljadw View Post
                Joan is as saint as I am : she has received sainthood for political motives = to improve the relations between France and the Vatican .She was a soldier,leading an army, that was killing people =other soldiers and civilians .

                Her trial was annulled in 1456,when the French had won and she became a saint in 1920,when France had won WWI and when there was a right wing government that reestablished diplomatic relations with the Vatican . If France had lost, Joan would not have been canonized, but the Vatican would have canonized a German .

                It's all politics .
                Which all might be true :except perhaps your sainthood.
                But when all is said ,the fact that an obscure peasant girl rose to inspire French resistance is surely worth a statue or two.
                "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
                Samuel Johnson.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by ljadw View Post
                  Joan is as saint as I am : she has received sainthood for political motives = to improve the relations between France and the Vatican .She was a soldier,leading an army, that was killing people =other soldiers and civilians .
                  She got an army of French to beat an army of the English which was, at that time, close to being a miracle.

                  Edit

                  Unfortunately she wasn't into 'girl power' or she would have supported the legitimate claims of the English Kings to the French throne.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post
                    Which all might be true :except perhaps your sainthood.
                    But when all is said ,the fact that an obscure peasant girl rose to inspire French resistance is surely worth a statue or two.
                    Definitely not.

                    If you think about it it would have been a much better result for France, Europe and the world if she had failed.

                    France would have been part of the Anglosphere -
                    No autocracy in France
                    No wars of the Roses
                    France would have gone Protestant at the same time as England
                    No wars of religion
                    No 30 years war
                    No Napoleonic wars
                    No ww1 or 2

                    In fact if it hadn't been for Joan Europe would have had more than 500 years of peace and prosperity.
                    "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by Surrey View Post
                      Definitely not.

                      If you think about it it would have been a much better result for France, Europe and the world if she had failed.

                      France would have been part of the Anglosphere -
                      No autocracy in France
                      No wars of the Roses
                      France would have gone Protestant at the same time as England
                      No wars of religion
                      No 30 years war
                      No Napoleonic wars
                      No ww1 or 2

                      In fact if it hadn't been for Joan Europe would have had more than 500 years of peace and prosperity.
                      Are you sure? Perhaps Wilhelm I would have been crowned German Kaiser in London at a slightly later date.
                      Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

                      Prayers.

                      BoRG

                      http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by Surrey View Post
                        Definitely not.

                        If you think about it it would have been a much better result for France, Europe and the world if she had failed.

                        France would have been part of the Anglosphere -
                        No autocracy in France
                        No wars of the Roses
                        France would have gone Protestant at the same time as England
                        No wars of religion
                        No 30 years war
                        No Napoleonic wars
                        No ww1 or 2

                        In fact if it hadn't been for Joan Europe would have had more than 500 years of peace and prosperity.
                        Can't agree,please see my posting #47.
                        Far better to stick with "Splendid Isolation " (Not that I agree with the wisdom of Brexit,mind ).
                        "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
                        Samuel Johnson.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by Salinator View Post
                          Are you sure? Perhaps Wilhelm I would have been crowned German Kaiser in London at a slightly later date.
                          Point

                          Britain has a very large population of Anglo-Saxon, both German Tribes.

                          Wasn't Victoria and Otto cousins and doesn't Phillip come from German heritage.
                          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

                          Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

                          you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by Surrey View Post
                            And he could have been king of France again if the French had had a bit more guts in 1940....
                            The French??????????? What about the BEF. They are the ones that beat feet while it was the French that held off the Hun to give the BEF time. Talk about unthankful and mashing history. sccchs
                            "Ask not what your country can do for you"

                            Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

                            you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                              Point

                              Britain has a very large population of Anglo-Saxon, both German Tribes.

                              Wasn't Victoria and Otto cousins and doesn't Phillip come from German heritage.
                              Which Otto? Victoria also had a bunch of descendants that moved to Germany. Phillip is definitely from a German family. He may well be a cousin of Elizabeth as well.

                              The Royal Families of Greece and Bulgaria were from minor German nobility.

                              Pruitt
                              Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

                              Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

                              by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                                The French??????????? What about the BEF. They are the ones that beat feet while it was the French that held off the Hun to give the BEF time. Talk about unthankful and mashing history. sccchs
                                Love you..
                                Even Nolan took 15 seconds to pay tribute to my great father in "Dunkirk"..
                                That rug really tied the room together

                                Comment

                                Latest Topics

                                Collapse

                                Working...
                                X