Joan of Arc statue targeted - "Tear it Down"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
    Joan of Arc was a religious right wing racist militant that preached hatred against English immigrants and tried to shove Catholicism down everyone's throat.
    Let me guess, history was not your strong suit when you were in school was it?
    Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

Initiated Chief Petty Officer
    Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!

Comment

There is a big chance that her statue will be replaced by that of Bin Laden.

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
        All statues must meet certain criteria in order to remain:

1) Be "Diverse", whatever that phrase happens to mean to the Alt-Left at the time.

2) Be approved by the Alt-Left and the Media.....who know nothing of history before 2008.
        actually I think this says less about the ALT left but more about how stupid us Americans are and lack of knowledge of history.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheetah772 View Post
          It is really frightening when you see people who think along these lines.

Frankly, let's be honest with ourselves, ALL civilizations since the dawn of time immemorial thrived on the back of slaves. So if we really want to remove everything that's been built on oppression of certain ethnic groups,, we'd have to force ourselves go back to primitive age, living in caves and whatnot.

Do we really want to go there?
          As far as I know, the removal movement is just for statues to people whose greatest achievements were fighting (politically, like Calhoun, or on the battlefield, like Lee) to maintain a slave society. Or in the case of Chief Justice Taney, to rule that slavery was not a violation of African-American rights. No one says we should dismantle the White House because some of its construction was sub-contracted to slave labor.

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post
            Since Catholicism was the religion practiced in England, France, and Burgundy at the time of Jeanne d'Arc, I don't see how she shoved Catholicism down anyone's throat.

And the British had invaded and taken over a large part of France and the Maid had a large part in throwing the English out.

Her statue in Paris is quite magnificent. I saw it this past June-quite impressive-and she is still a national heroine.
            The English king was the legitimate ruler of France through his decent from Isobel of France, Edward II's wife. The Medieval English weren't as sexist as the Medieval French.

The English were just standing up for women's rights.
            Last edited by Surrey; 23 Aug 17, 09:51.
            "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post
              The English king was the legitimate ruler of France through his decent from Isobel of France, Edward II's wife. The Medieval English weren't as sexist as the Medieval French.

The English were just standing up for women's rights.
              That's one way of looking at it. I guess the French didn't agree.

How do you stand up for women's rights by burning one at the stake?

Interestingly, the now British sovereign didn't give up his French title until the 1790s...
              We are not now that strength which in old days
              Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
              Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
              To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Interestingly, the now British sovereign didn't give up his French title until the 1790s...
                And he could have been king of France again if the French had had a bit more guts in 1940....
                "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

As usual Massena is proving a total lack of knowledge of the subject he is discussing : Joan was not judged,condemned and executed by the British, but by the French .

And why should it not be allowed to execute a woman ? There is equality between men and women .

Comment

Since Catholicism was the religion practiced in England, France, and Burgundy at the time of Jeanne d'Arc, I don't see how she shoved Catholicism down anyone's throat.

And the British had invaded and taken over a large part of France and the Maid had a large part in throwing the English out.

Her statue in Paris is quite magnificent. I saw it this past June-quite impressive-and she is still a national heroine.
                    It wasn't obvious to you I was being sarcastic?

Originally posted by Bass_Man86 View Post
                    No need to be insulting. If you don't like the humor, just move on. Personal comments are being cracked down on.
                    Last edited by Salinator; 23 Aug 17, 17:28.
                    Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Originally posted by ljadw View Post
                      As usual Massena is proving a total lack of knowledge of the subject he is discussing : Joan was not judged,condemned and executed by the British, but by the French .
                      Indeed so are you the British were not fighting in France at the time - the English were., ( and the "French" at the time did not rule all of today's France - far from it - Paris's reach was rather limited.
                      Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                      Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

The savior of Orleans Joan of Arc should be honored around the world.
                        Last edited by Stonewall_Jack; 23 Aug 17, 14:48.
                        Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
                        Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

And why should it not be allowed to execute a woman ? There is equality between men and women .
                          Your thinking of Burgundians or French born supporters of the English cause similar to how some French, Americans and Brits stood for the Third Reich in the years leading to and during WW2. The judge who persecuted Joan was Pierre Cauchon who was indeed French but also was an admirer of the English. Also should be noted that while Catholics opposed Joan of Arc that later the Church overturned the conviction of Joan in 1445. The times of Joan of Arc were before the new Protestant religion came forth. Its interesting to read of the divide between Catholic England and Catholic France during the middle ages, two societies home to such grand and well respected figures of history...men and women whom united for a righteous cause in uniting Catholics to secure their Christian homeland of Jerusalem....only to fight with each other later on in history.
                          Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
                          Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

Joan was captured by the Burgundians and the English gave them the high bid to get her. It is speculated that the French King (Dauphin, as his father was under lock and key by the English) did not really want her back. The French court was jealous of her success and bad mouthed her to the King.

There were three rival powers in France at this time, the Burgundians (a branch of the French Royal Family), the English who were led by a cousin of the French Royal Family), and the son of the King of France (who was captured by the English in battle). The French did not count descent from a female line. The English were a bit less picky!

The Judge who tried Joan was from Paris, which was in the English zone of control. Joan was convicted of hearing voices and wearing men's clothes. She had to go! Next this peasant girl would be telling the nobility what to do! There were no insane asylums back then.

Pruitt
                            Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Bass_Man86 View Post
                              you actually took that seriously .... holy !!!

Somebody is bucking for Triggered SJW of the Month here.

Comment

You're correct-the British didn't do it, as the British didn't exist yet. The English and Burgundians were complicit in her capture and execution.

The bishop that gave the order of execution was pro-English. So your point is moot as well as incorrect. It was judicial/ecclesiastical murder.
                                We are not now that strength which in old days
                                Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                                Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                                To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X