Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will unrepentant Trump supporters eventually become American pariahs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=lodestar;3396392]
    Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post

Okay.
    Give me a reasoned analysis of why you voted for him.

Ridiculous assumptions?
    Well sorry mate but I've simply not come across (and no I don't just read left of center material) any commentaries that summarize the reasons why so many older white Americans voted for Trump that differ dramatically from the reasons presented in my OP.

So if you've got a summary of other reasons...I'd be interested.

Just to give you a more detailed idea of how and what the dreaded leftist intelligentsia (okay, I guess you think that's an oxymoron!) think about 'Trump's people' here's an extract from an article called American beserk by Don Watson in the March 2017 issue of Australia's The Monthly Magazine

Of course Hillary Clinton did not mean that the entire white working class was deplorable, but she must have known that the elements she didn’t mean would be easily convinced that she did. It was a bit like calling Trump a misogynist – over and over.
    A lot of what goes down as outrageous misogyny among the cosmopolitan elites of Manhattan, where 88% of people voted against Trump, is the natural (if not Godly) order of things in much of the American heartland, where 61% of white working-class women voted for him, and 34% for Clinton.
    Had she managed to get just 50% of that vote, she would now be president. It was not identity but class that counted. Trump saw that and so did Bernie Sanders. Sanders would have taken Wisconsin and Michigan in a breeze.
    Tired though it is after nearly two centuries of common usage, “white trash” as Harriet Beecher Stowe defined it carries an essential truth that a “basket of deplorables” does not: namely, that the “trash” are defined by their loathing of federal authority and their fealty to the institutions that exploit and degrade them.

The white trash of the old southern plantations would find this much in common with the Tea Partiers who began scaling the Capitol walls after Obama took the White House in 2008 and the hordes who have just voted for Trump in what the new president humbly declared “the single greatest movement in the history of this country”.
    For the Tea Party, federal authorities are the great enemy – remote authority is their hook back to the Revolution – even though the federal authorities pay their welfare cheques, while Republican state governments screw their unions, attack their voting rights and keep wages pitifully low.

Inequality and unfairness do not upset Tea Partiers and Trump voters anything like as much as what they perceive to be attacks on their freedom.

How dare Washington make laws for the nation at large: inflict a national health scheme on them (35% of the population rank Obamacare among their worst fears); tax them and regulate them; secularise their schools; impose migrants, feminism, abortion and LGBT rights on them; tell them where they can graze their cattle; what words they can and cannot use to describe blacks and Latinos and women; lecture them and threaten to restrict the type and number of their guns.
    A recent national survey found that while guns killed 301,797 people in the US between 2005 and 2015 (and terrorist attacks killed 94), it wasn’t guns but restrictions on guns and ammunition that was, equally with “being a victim of terror”, Americans’ fourth greatest fear.
    The heartland is different, simple as that.

Are you suggesting this is all rubbish?
    If so expand a bit on how you see the reasons for why they voted the way they did.

Note I say 'they' not 'you'.

Good discussion

Regards
    lodestar

I also find it hilarious and telling that you base your arguments on a complete misunderstanding of what the tea party was about. Instead of relying on facts, you rely on the propaganda spread by its enemies.

You might want to examine your own prejudices before you attack others.

The concept of limiting federal control is found in the Bill of Rights in the Constitution, not in racism.
    Having beliefs that differ from what you have deemed best does not make me ignorant or racist.
    Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

[QUOTE=lodestar;3396392]
      Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post

Okay.
      Give me a reasoned analysis of why you voted for him.

Ridiculous assumptions?
      Well sorry mate but I've simply not come across (and no I don't just read left of center material) any commentaries that summarize the reasons why so many older white Americans voted for Trump that differ dramatically from the reasons presented in my OP.

So if you've got a summary of other reasons...I'd be interested.

Just to give you a more detailed idea of how and what the dreaded leftist intelligentsia (okay, I guess you think that's an oxymoron!) think about 'Trump's people' here's an extract from an article called American beserk by Don Watson in the March 2017 issue of Australia's The Monthly Magazine

Of course Hillary Clinton did not mean that the entire white working class was deplorable, but she must have known that the elements she didn’t mean would be easily convinced that she did. It was a bit like calling Trump a misogynist – over and over.
      A lot of what goes down as outrageous misogyny among the cosmopolitan elites of Manhattan, where 88% of people voted against Trump, is the natural (if not Godly) order of things in much of the American heartland, where 61% of white working-class women voted for him, and 34% for Clinton.
      Had she managed to get just 50% of that vote, she would now be president. It was not identity but class that counted. Trump saw that and so did Bernie Sanders. Sanders would have taken Wisconsin and Michigan in a breeze.
      Tired though it is after nearly two centuries of common usage, “white trash” as Harriet Beecher Stowe defined it carries an essential truth that a “basket of deplorables” does not: namely, that the “trash” are defined by their loathing of federal authority and their fealty to the institutions that exploit and degrade them.

The white trash of the old southern plantations would find this much in common with the Tea Partiers who began scaling the Capitol walls after Obama took the White House in 2008 and the hordes who have just voted for Trump in what the new president humbly declared “the single greatest movement in the history of this country”.
      For the Tea Party, federal authorities are the great enemy – remote authority is their hook back to the Revolution – even though the federal authorities pay their welfare cheques, while Republican state governments screw their unions, attack their voting rights and keep wages pitifully low.

Inequality and unfairness do not upset Tea Partiers and Trump voters anything like as much as what they perceive to be attacks on their freedom.

How dare Washington make laws for the nation at large: inflict a national health scheme on them (35% of the population rank Obamacare among their worst fears); tax them and regulate them; secularise their schools; impose migrants, feminism, abortion and LGBT rights on them; tell them where they can graze their cattle; what words they can and cannot use to describe blacks and Latinos and women; lecture them and threaten to restrict the type and number of their guns.
      A recent national survey found that while guns killed 301,797 people in the US between 2005 and 2015 (and terrorist attacks killed 94), it wasn’t guns but restrictions on guns and ammunition that was, equally with “being a victim of terror”, Americans’ fourth greatest fear.
      The heartland is different, simple as that.

Are you suggesting this is all rubbish?
      If so expand a bit on how you see the reasons for why they voted the way they did.

Note I say 'they' not 'you'.

Good discussion

Regards
      lodestar
      My local TEA (Taxed Enough Already) party, which was not a "political" party, rather an educational and advocacy organization (like most TEA "Parties" in the USA) was far from what you mis-present.

EXCERPT:
      Instead of focusing on “left” or “right”, our founders were more concerned about “how much”. How much government is enough to protect our life, liberty and property from internal and external threats, without being oppressive? They envisioned the political spectrum as a continuous line from zero government on one end, to total government on the other. The “right” amount was somewhere in between — maybe 25% to 30%.

https://youtu.be/DioQooFIcgE

Whatcom TEA Party (since dissolved as we have expanded into other focused orgs.)
      http://whatcomteaparty.org/education...of-government/
      Last edited by G David Bock; 22 Aug 17, 15:04.
      TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

Comment

I predict that "unrepentent Trump supports" are going to become the next major militant protest group the rest of America will have to deal with.

And won't that be fun...
        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X