No announcement yet.

Monuments and Statues Thread - Defacement, Protection, Removal and Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They held a reenactment at Gettysburg many years after the war ended. Union and Confederate veterans were invited to come for the festivities. Tents were set up for each side. Then a problem occurred. Hundreds of elderly Blacks showed up and asked where their tents were? It seems the Confederates had brought their servants with them to Gettysburg during the war. The committee in charge refused to give them any tents, SO THE CONFEDERATES SHARED THEIR TENTS WITH THEM.

Something else happened when the Confederates staged another "Pickett's Charge". As the aged men went up the hill there was unrest in the Union Veterans. As they got close to the top, there was a cry from the Union Veterans: "Come on Boys! They didn't make it to the top then, I will be [email protected] if they make it now!". Imagine a riot of sixty, seventy and eighty year olds on that hill!

It is fitting that the monuments of both sides stay there.

Pruitt
    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Agree completely.
      We are not now that strength which in old days
      Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
      Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
      To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
        They held a reenactment at Gettysburg many years after the war ended. Union and Confederate veterans were invited to come for the festivities. Tents were set up for each side. Then a problem occurred. Hundreds of elderly Blacks showed up and asked where their tents were? It seems the Confederates had brought their servants with them to Gettysburg during the war. The committee in charge refused to give them any tents, SO THE CONFEDERATES SHARED THEIR TENTS WITH THEM.

Something else happened when the Confederates staged another "Pickett's Charge". As the aged men went up the hill there was unrest in the Union Veterans. As they got close to the top, there was a cry from the Union Veterans: "Come on Boys! They didn't make it to the top then, I will be [email protected] if they make it now!". Imagine a riot of sixty, seventy and eighty year olds on that hill!

It is fitting that the monuments of both sides stay there.

Pruitt
        Rep incoming.
        Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Antifa protestors damage Atlanta peace monument mistaking it for a confederate statue...

http://buzz.blog.ajc.com/2017/08/14/...e-confederacy/

Comment

Interesting angle.

Ironically, the same Western media which heartily has condemned neo-Nazi and white-nationalist violence in Charlottesville, Virginia, adopted a much more tolerant attitude toward Ukraine’s neo-Nazism even as those militants murdered scores of ethnic Russians in Odessa in May 2014 and attacked ethnic Russian communities in the east where thousands more died.
            When it came to Ukraine, The New York Times and other mainstream outlets were so dedicated to their anti-Russian propaganda that they veered between minimizing the significance of the neo-Nazi militias and treating them as bulwarks of Western civilization.
            For instance, on Feb. 11, 2015, the Times published a long article by Rick Lyman that presented the situation in the port city of Mariupol as if the advance by ethnic Russian rebels amounted to the arrival of barbarians at the gate while the inhabitants were being bravely defended by the forces of civilization. But then the article cited the key role in that defense played by the Azov battalion.
            Though the article provided much color and detail and quoted an Azov leader prominently, it left out the fact that the Azov battalion was composed of neo-Nazis.

Comment

Originally posted by Skoblin View Post
              Antifa protestors damage Atlanta peace monument mistaking it for a confederate statue...
              Atlanta is not Baltimore or St Louis. They should be defending their stuff. If enough of these hooligans spend time in jail and start paying fines, most of them will stop this. Antifa "protestors" should fit right in on the Yard.

Pruitt
              Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Seattle mayor calls for removal of Lenin statue in Seattle as well as a memorial for the United Confederate Veterans erected in 1926.

http://mynorthwest.com/722573/seattl...erate-statues/
                Last edited by Skoblin; 17 Aug 17, 16:38.

Comment

Rounding up the vandals...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/8-n...cid=spartandhp
                  Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post
                    Really?

Absolutely incredible.
                    Proscribed personal comments directed at fellow members deleted.

BW
                    Last edited by Bad Wolf; 21 Aug 17, 14:28.
                    John

Play La Marseillaise. Play it!

Comment

• Originally posted by JBark View Post
                      Proscribed personal comments directed at fellow members deleted
                      Absolute bs. As my signature should indicate I am no fan of the Confederacy. However, having been at Gettysburg this summer and seeing the monuments, I fully support leaving them. The southern states set them up in memory of the heroic sacrifice of their sons. Those boys gave their last full measure of devotion to a cause they believed in. It may have been a terrible cause, but their sacrifices at least earned them the right to a stone monument on the field they bleed on.

On a broader scale, I support leaving monuments to the Confederacy up. They serve as a reminder of the past with all its warts. They also serve as a warning to us about the potential terrible results of not remembering we are all Americans and what can happen if we are not able to work out our differences peacefully. The rhetoric on both fringes of society is scarily reminiscent of pre-civil war rhetoric as both sides try to justify violence against the "other". I hope it can be reigned in before it's to late.
                      Last edited by Bad Wolf; 21 Aug 17, 14:26.
                      "A foe who had fought so long and valiantly, and had suffered so much for a cause, though that cause was, I believe, one of the worst for which a people ever fought, and one for which there was the least excuse." Ulysses S. Grant

Comment

• Originally posted by JBark View Post
                        Racist cretins?

Making false accusations about people isn't necessary and is quite out of line. You should amend your posting and apologize to the forum and those posters concerned.

Have you been to Gettysburg? My first visit was in 1962 and I've been back many times, most recently in the past fifteen years a few times to take my son there and have him appreciate the battlefield and what happened there.

As to the Confederates, I do believe what should be remembered about them is what both Lincoln and Grant said about the war being over, especially Grant (if I am quoting him correctly)-'The Rebels are our countrymen again.

And the National Battlefields are federal property as well as Hallowed Ground and should be preserved with the current tempest in a teapot not touching the battlefields.

You need to get over it, pick up the shattered pieces of your life, and move on.
                        Last edited by Bad Wolf; 21 Aug 17, 14:27.

Comment

• I believe in leaving the monuments alone at battlefield sites. That's where they belong so people who visit them can learn about the men they represent in their proper context. However I am for removing them from city squares and parks because there is no context. It does look as if a statue of, say, Nathan Bedford Forrest in the middle of a town in Tennessee is glorifying him and the cause he fought for. However, a statue of him on the battlefield at Ft. Donelson makes sense. He was there and led a daring breakout prior to the surrender. A statue or plaque there explaining his actions makes sense.
                          Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

• I disagree with your take on what these monuments represent, however, I agree that they ARE in danager. These monuments will be next, they have already been vandalized. Wake up people, this will continue and is an attack on anything WHITE. And consider this, the NPS does not have the funding to protect them, say goodbye.

Originally posted by JBark View Post
                            Last edited by Bad Wolf; 21 Aug 17, 14:29.
                            My worst jump story:
                            My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                            As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                            No lie.

~
                            "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                            -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

• Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
                              I disagree with your take on what these monuments represent, however, I agree that they ARE in danager. These monuments will be next, they have already been vandalized. Wake up people, this will continue and is an attack on anything WHITE. And consider this, the NPS does not have the funding to protect them, say goodbye.
                              Great posting.

And thanks very much for supporting JBark's comments on racism.

Well done.

Comment

• Thank you, coming from you it means so much. Now go educate yourself.

Originally posted by Massena View Post
                                Great posting.

And thanks very much for supporting JBark's comments on racism.

Well done.
                                My worst jump story:
                                My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                                As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                                No lie.

~
                                "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                                -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X