Monuments and Statues Thread - Defacement, Protection, Removal and Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
    Women that climbed ladder and fastened the strap around statue has been arrested.
    Seems she was a local. So???????
    I for one had my doubts that there was some sort of roving statue assault force moving from town to town...

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
      Class 'C' misdemeanor, no one is going to jail.
      First arrest- Takiyah Thompson

...charged with:
      disorderly conduct by injury to a statue (Class II Misdemeanor)
      damage to real property (statue as a fixture (Class I Misdemeanor)
      participation in a riot with property damage in excess of $1,500 (Class H Felony)
      inciting others to riot where there is property damage in excess of $1,500 (Class F Felony)
      http://abc11.com/2309889/
      {}

"Any story sounds true until someone tells the other side and sets the record straight." -Proverbs 18:17

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post
        ...Attempting to equate the Confederacy with Nazi Germany in any way, shape or form is just plain wrong...
        Unless you want to discuss the racist foundation of the Nazis and the Confederacy. It is interesting that one group demonstrating in Charlottesville carried flags of the Confederacy and the Nazi party. How do you figure that happens?
        John

Play La Marseillaise. Play it!

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post
          This afternoon on CNN, Symone Sanders one of the talking heads (who had been part of the Sanders' campaign last year) compared the Confederacy left-handedly with Nazi Germany. It was not only not a valid analogy, but displayed a shocking lack of knowledge and understanding of historical periods.

The discussion was about Charlottesville this past weekend and the Confederate memorial statue controversy, and Sanders brought up the idea that the Germans don't put statues up for Nazi officials and generals, while in the US there are statues to Confederate generals.

CNN quickly went to commercial and the subject was neither brought up after the commercial or disagreed with by the host, Jake Tapper.

I've thought for quite some time that Sanders was an idiot with a big mouth and little wisdom or knowledge and she proved it today. Interestingly, she was told to shut up recently on air by Ken Cuccinelli, the former attorney general of Virginia-as she should have been.

Attempting to equate the Confederacy with Nazi Germany in any way, shape or form is just plain wrong. It is also ahistorical and clearly demonstrates a lack of understanding of the Civil War period.
          Well for once you and I are in sound agreement.

The great irony in this statue falderal at least with regards to Robert E Lee is that Lee didn't approve of slavery, wasn't gung ho about secession, and only reluctantly took up arms against the union.

When the antifa nuts screamed to pull his statue down they were attacking a person who hated slavery. Meanwhile the white power nuts were rallying to the defense of a person who would **** on their ideology.

History loves irony.
          A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/15/u...ionalists.html

new found respect for Mr Trump

Comment

I was gone this evening and did not get in to after midnight. I did a google search on Eva and Alissa. Eva has a go fund me set up to pay for her education. If any of you feel froggy, donate! According to one article she is a member of Muslims For Social Justice. Her Linked account does not say where she grew up, but I don't see a Muslim female of this age growing up in North Carolina.

Alissa seems to be a member of a Latino group. There is a chance she grew up in North Carolina.

Both are living in Durham right now but have multiple addresses for past abodes.

This aggravates me because I hate people who move to a place and start trying to change it. If the place you come from is so great, go there and leave this place alone!

Pruitt
              Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateship1982 View Post
                Well for once you and I are in sound agreement.

The great irony in this statue falderal at least with regards to Robert E Lee is that Lee didn't approve of slavery, wasn't gung ho about secession, and only reluctantly took up arms against the union.

When the antifa nuts screamed to pull his statue down they were attacking a person who hated slavery. Meanwhile the white power nuts were rallying to the defense of a person who would **** on their ideology.

History loves irony.
                Lee owned slaves and had them beaten severely when they tried to escape. He supported slavery in practice whatever lies he may have said in public.
                "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

In the progressive left infested areas cover everything with spray paint stencils of confederate soldiers and generals, alt-right Banksy style

Comment

Originally posted by BorderRuffian View Post
                    First arrest- Takiyah Thompson

...charged with:
                    disorderly conduct by injury to a statue (Class II Misdemeanor)
                    damage to real property (statue as a fixture (Class I Misdemeanor)
                    participation in a riot with property damage in excess of $1,500 (Class H Felony)
                    inciting others to riot where there is property damage in excess of $1,500 (Class F Felony)
                    http://abc11.com/2309889/
                    But, but we were told no one would be arrested nor charged!!!!! How can this be!!!!!
                    “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
                    “To talk of many things:
                    Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
                    Of cabbages—and kings—
                    And why the sea is boiling hot—
                    And whether pigs have wings.”
                    ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by JBark View Post
                      Unless you want to discuss the racist foundation of the Nazis and the Confederacy. It is interesting that one group demonstrating in Charlottesville carried flags of the Confederacy and the Nazi party. How do you figure that happens?
                      I'd be more than happy to.

And it should be noted that American flags were also carried by those people, which was not only disrespectful, but demeaning to the United States.

Interestingly, the Confederate flag usually carried by the Kluckers was once the battleflag of the Army of Northern Virginia and was not a Confederate national flag.
                      We are not now that strength which in old days
                      Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                      Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                      To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Originally posted by nastle View Post
                        By whom?
                        We are not now that strength which in old days
                        Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                        Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                        To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateship1982 View Post

History loves irony.
                          To say that Lee "hated" slavery would be overstating the case quite a bit. Lee was uncomfortable owning and overseeing slaves, but was firm in the belief that Negros were fated by nature to be bonded menial laborers. Lee held to Virginia's conventional wisdom, which was that while "the peculiar institution" was far from perfect, it was far less imperfect than instant and immediate abolition. Many upper-class Virginians paid lip service to the notion that Virginia's planters would, in time, educate and prepare their slaves for eventual abolition, whenever that day may come -- but in the meantime, the best condition for all involved would be to continue to hold the Negros in bondage. It wasn't the hard-and-fast view common to the cotton-growing states, but it was a rather hypocritical stance, in that it gave Virginia's planters the appearance of moral high ground while preserving their economic interests vis a vis their most valuable assets, ie their slaves. That's probably a more accurate description of Gen Lee's view of slavery in 1860.

The rest of your post is likely fairly accurate, however.
                          I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Lee got these slaves when he married his wife. The Lee family was not well off until Marse Robert married well.

Pruitt
                            Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                              Lee got these slaves when he married his wife. The Lee family was not well off until Marse Robert married well.

Pruitt
                              Apart from the odd domestic, those slaves were his father-in-law's, who were administered by Lee when he was named executor of Custis' estate. Technically they were never Lee's property, and since Custis' will stipulated that they were to be freed after the settlement of the estate's liabilities, they were never going to be Lee's.
                              I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by JBark View Post

Perhaps I am naive, but I have always looked at the confederate battle flag as representative of the common soldiers and armies of the confederacy rather than the policies of the confederacy itself. As such, I do not see it as a symbol of racism.
                                I recognize that there are some logical contortions involved, but I think that I can have deep admiration for the soldiers, while not approving of slavery.
                                By the same token, I have deep admiration for the sacrifices of soviet troops in WW2 even though I have none for their government.

I am largely following Grant's lead on this.
                                I felt anything rather than rejoicing at the downfall of a foe who had fought so long and valiantly, and had suffered so much for a cause, though that cause was, I believe, one of the worst for which a people ever fought, and one for which there was the least excuse.
                                — Grant's opinion of Lee's surrender at Appomattox.
                                Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X