Monuments and Statues Thread - Defacement, Protection, Removal and Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Savez View Post
    Remaining loyal to one's home and family is the honorable thing to do.
    Not if they are in rebellion against your country. Thomas and Gibbon did the right and honorable thing.
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
    Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
    To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

• Denial mode.

Originally posted by JBark View Post
      (My emphasis.)

You say this when a spokesperson for Gettysburg has spoken for the current situation in the parks. What thinks ye when that changes with future thinking.
      My worst jump story:
      My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
      As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
      No lie.

~
      "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
      -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

• Originally posted by Massena View Post
        Not if they are in rebellion against your country. Thomas and Gibbon did the right and honorable thing.
        I'd choose family and home overy nation every time. To do otherwise is reprehensible.
        I do not wish to have the slave emancipated because I love him, but because I hate his master."
        --Salmon P. Chase

Comment

• Originally posted by Savez View Post
          I'd choose family and home overy nation every time. To do otherwise is reprehensible.
          No matter the circumstances? What if they are Nazis or white supremacists?

That is reprehensible.
          We are not now that strength which in old days
          Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
          Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
          To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

No matter the circumstances? What if they are Nazis or white supremacists?

That is reprehensible.
            There might be certain circumstances. But my family aren't Nazis or White Supremacist. Southerners weren't Nazis and just about every white person in 1860 could be considered white supremacist. Should Oskar Shindler have remained loyal to his country? You might be okay with lobbing artillery shells into your hometown. I for one would not be.
            I do not wish to have the slave emancipated because I love him, but because I hate his master."
            --Salmon P. Chase

Comment

• Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
              Sorry for the wait, but I decided to seek, therefore I found.

Bennett Place is the location of the largest troop surrender of the Civil War. Confederate General Joseph E. Johnston and Union General William T. Sherman met on three occasions at the farmhouse of William Bennett, halfway between Sherman's headquarters in Raleigh and Johnston's in Hillsborough and ultimately worked out terms to surrender over 89,000 Confederate troops in the filed in the Carolinas, Georgia and Florida. . . . .

The monument features two pillars representing the Confederacy and the Union. They are joined by a bridge on top which reads "UNITY".

The Bennett farmhouse was rebuilt in the late 1950's and early 1960's using the stone chimney and materials from a farmhouse of the same age in the area, The site is now a North Carolina State Historic Site with a Visitor Center and frequent tours of the farmhouse and outbuildings.
              It's been nearly 24hrs since I've posted that monument to peace, and in that time it has drawn not a single comment. Among civilized people, isn't peace supposed to be the greatest of blessings? Isn't peace supposed to be something we strive towards? Aren't we meant to rejoice in peace, and to mourn war? What am I missing here?

Or did the whole world turn perverse and I failed to notice. . . . .
              I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

It's been nearly 24hrs since I've posted that monument to peace, and in that time it has drawn not a single comment. Among civilized people, isn't peace supposed to be the greatest of blessings? Isn't peace supposed to be something we strive towards? Aren't we meant to rejoice in peace, and to mourn war? What am I missing here?

Or did the whole world turn perverse and I failed to notice. . . . .
                Apparently you failed to notice.
                Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Northern aggression? The south opened the ball by firing on Fort Sumter.

And the officers that 'went south' were turning their backs on their own country.

That is neither honorable nor defensible. And the southern officers who remained loyal, such as Gibbon and Thomas, were ostracized by their families.

Remaining loyal was the honorable thing to do.
                  Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
                  What, again, is 'southern heritage'?
                  My take on Southern Heritage...During the 1800's most people who were born in Culpeper Va. or Chancellorsville Va. or wherever in the south, died there. For the most part society was static and did not routinely move around...There was no sense of Nationalism as we see it to day...Their allegiance was to God, Family, State and country..."I will not draw my sword against my country, unless my State is invaded" sort of thing...Most knew slavery was morally wrong and it could not be maintained. Most did not own slaves as you all well know..The States seceded, (legal or not) because of slavery and most of those who were both uneducated and educated stayed there...

The south looses the war and the south erected statutes to their Southern hero's who fought for their State, for Slavery and the status quo and to save face, regardless if before or after Jim Crow. Jump ahead, millennial's, BLM, Bernies kids goes to college in the south see the statutes as hate and slavery, but no pride, tough sh*t...

The North erected statutes to their hero as well...(I don't think I had ever seen a statute of W.T. Sherman or U.S. Grant south of the Mason Dixon which illustrates my point).. For whatever its worth, its my opinion and I sticking with it..

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    Apparently you failed to notice.
                    Hard to notice what's not there . . . .
                    I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Exactly.......
                      "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

• Statue of Revolutionary War Colonel beheaded in Ohio
                        The statue of Colonel William Crawford outside the Crawford County Courthouse has been decapitated, county employees confirmed Friday. Its head is missing.Located in a niche on the left side of the Mansfield Street doors of the courthouse, the statue depicts Colonel William Crawford, for whom Crawford County is named.
                        Crawford was a soldier and leader in the French and Indian and Revolutionary wars and was killed by Native Americans 79 years before the start of the Civil War.
                        http://www.bucyrustelegraphforum.com...ted/602034001/

Comment

• And the morons said it wouldn't happen, surprise.

Originally posted by Skoblin View Post
                          Statue of Revolutionary War Colonel beheaded in Ohio
                          http://www.bucyrustelegraphforum.com...ted/602034001/

My worst jump story:
                          No lie.

~
                          -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

• And this is where you have a problem understanding the cause of the fight by Mr. Reb.

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                            What Johnny Reb had in military bearing, his lacked in political perspicacity: he was absolutely suckered by the planter class into giving his all for a fight which was in no way his. Johnny Reb fought and died for the big planters' economic interests, plain and simple.
                            My worst jump story:
                            No lie.

~
                            -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

• Democrats will release them in due time.

Originally posted by Massena View Post
                              Not only arrests, but felony arrests.

I do hope that the vandals spend time in prison, and then they can meet 'Bubba'...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/mor...cid=spartandhp
                              My worst jump story:
                              No lie.

~
                              -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

I have been avoiding this thread, myself.

But I would hesitate to draw attention to such a monument, that is exactly the kind of thing that the Ararcho-Marxists want to destroy. It is exactly the thing that the fringe-Left has wanted to eliminate for 100 years now.

And they probably will, soon. a Pickup-truck full of rope and human crash-test dummies will roll up one night, and tear it right down. If they can't blame it on the Condor Legion then they will shrug and say "oh well, you can't blame us for the extremists!" while laughing out of the other side of their faces.
                                You know, the usual thing.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X