Monuments and Statues Thread - Defacement, Protection, Removal and Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
    Highlighted because of contradiction in the same sentence. What exactly is "southern heritage"?

"Northern aggression".

Nice one.
    Funny thing is that Robert E. Lee defined it that way...

Lee privately opposed the Confederacy in letters in early 1861, denouncing secession as "nothing but revolution" and an unconstitutional betrayal of the efforts of the Founding Fathers. Writing to his eldest son in January, Lee stated:

The South, in my opinion, has been aggrieved by the acts of the North, as you say. I feel the aggression, and am willing to take every proper step for redress. It is the principle I contend for, not individual or private benefit.
    Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years...

Comment

• Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
      The war may be over, but a bunch of us are not forgetting! There are also a bunch of monuments and markers in the South that commemorate where Unionists were attacked by Confederates. Do they go as well?

Where is this monument you describe?

Pruitt
      Sorry for the wait, but I decided to seek, therefore I found.

Bennett Place is the location of the largest troop surrender of the Civil War. Confederate General Joseph E. Johnston and Union General William T. Sherman met on three occasions at the farmhouse of William Bennett, halfway between Sherman's headquarters in Raleigh and Johnston's in Hillsborough and ultimately worked out terms to surrender over 89,000 Confederate troops in the filed in the Carolinas, Georgia and Florida. . . . .

The monument features two pillars representing the Confederacy and the Union. They are joined by a bridge on top which reads "UNITY".

The Bennett farmhouse was rebuilt in the late 1950's and early 1960's using the stone chimney and materials from a farmhouse of the same age in the area, The site is now a North Carolina State Historic Site with a Visitor Center and frequent tours of the farmhouse and outbuildings.

"Unity Monument, Bennett Place Historic Site, Durham, North Carolina," Way Marking-dot-com, 6 May 2006
      I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

• Originally posted by drivin-fool View Post
        Funny thing is that Robert E. Lee defined it that way...

Lee privately opposed the Confederacy in letters in early 1861, denouncing secession as "nothing but revolution" and an unconstitutional betrayal of the efforts of the Founding Fathers. Writing to his eldest son in January, Lee stated:

The South, in my opinion, has been aggrieved by the acts of the North, as you say. I feel the aggression, and am willing to take every proper step for redress. It is the principle I contend for, not individual or private benefit.
        What, again, is 'southern heritage'?
        Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bass_Man86 View Post
          Ah yes, the amorphous and ill defined "they." Who the heck are you referring to? Do you have any names? Alt-left terrorist groups? Name one or two please, I am just dying to be better informed. They want to destroy our nation? Who are you referring to? BLM, Greeenpeace, the Sierra club?
          See post #57
          That is the "they" I am referring to
          Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
            Forum Rules

RACISM, REVISIONISM & GENOCIDE/MASS MURDER
            Racist Remarks, Racial Slurs, Nazi Revisionism, purposeful Revisionist History contrary to known or certain facts, or any commentary calling for the indiscriminate mass murder or genocide of any group based on race, religion, nationality, sexual preference or political beliefs will not be tolerated on the Armchair General (ACG) Forums.
            File a complaint. You know damn well you took my post out of context.
            That is you MO.
            Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Massena View Post
              Then if that actually occurs, and it definitely should not, what's next? What is then banned? The National Battlefield Parks are fine as they are and if you don't like them there, don't visit the Parks.
              (My emphasis.)

You say this when a spokesperson for Gettysburg has spoken for the current situation in the parks. What thinks ye when that changes with future thinking.
              John

Play La Marseillaise. Play it!

Comment

You're the one who made the way-out-of-line comment about 'racist cretins' or was that the other JBark?
                I have an opinion and I wrote it. You remember how that goes, right? Of course if there are not racists here what is the issue?
                John

Comment

• Originally posted by Legionnaire66 View Post
                  If they start messing with National Battlefields, that is my violence trigger.
                  You mean more violence, right? More non-racists and fine people marching with Confederate and Nazi flags?
                  John

Comment

• Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post
                    I think this country stands for the right to display such flags even if we disapprove of the intent behind the display. (See the 1st amendment)
                    Are there other symbols you would accept being banned?
                    Soviet flags? ISIS flags? Symbols of the black panthers? BLM?
                    Antifa?
                    You make an excellent point but I find a difference between allowing paraders or individuals (on their homes) to display symbols of their choice and permanent symbols in public areas. I think the difference is obvious.

Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post
                    I would submit that the correct approach is to educate people about the meaning behind the symbols and let them make their own decisions.
                    I think it important to remember that these flags and others can be used to terrorize and no one deserves to be terrorized in their home, school, place of business or the park they visit. I THINK that those visiting Gettysburg should not see that the people that fought for another country and invaded this country would be honored with statues.

Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post
                    When the Nazis marched in Skokie (Jewish chicago suburb with many holocaust survivors at the time) there were scores of objections and protests, but when all was said and done and the march was over, the Nazis looked more ridiculous and didn't affect anyone's lives.
                    (My emphasis.)

It's good we have you to assure us that no one was affected by this march. Not one child frightened, not one adult made to worry about their future in this country.
                    John

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      I would definitely like to see you try to prove that monuments are erected to represent "white supremacy". That is utter and total nonsense.
                      Of course...I knew that.

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      We erect monuments to recognize heroism, leadership or significant events, which occur on all sides of historical events. The generals who fought for the South fought to defend their states rights, their homelands and their families from the North, not to defend slavery. The Civil War was NOT about slavery, as you should know since this is a history forum.
                      I think you're wrong about that.
                      John

Comment

• Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                        It's strikes me funny that, of all the Conquistadors, that Columbus should be viewed as controversial. While by no means a saint, he was, at least by Conquistador standards, fairly benign. Now Francisco Pizarro, he was a real piece of work, and as hard a screw as Spain sent to the New World. His statute might have to come down.
                        \
                        good points
                        it makes the statue haters' arguments worthless

Comment

• what big evil did Columbus do, that the NAs didn't?
                          warfare was a part of many tribes' culture long before the Europeans came
                          ..don't try to make the NAs victims of something they themselves also did
                          Last edited by Moulin; 25 Aug 17, 10:43.

Comment

• Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
                            File a complaint. You know damn well you took my post out of context.
                            That is you MO.
                            Sorry my mistake. The comment was aimed at a couple post before yours
                            "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

youre entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Northern aggression? The south opened the ball by firing on Fort Sumter.

And the officers that 'went south' were turning their backs on their own country.

That is neither honorable nor defensible. And the southern officers who remained loyal, such as Gibbon and Thomas, were ostracized by their families.

Remaining loyal was the honorable thing to do.
                              Remaining loyal to one's home and family is the honorable thing to do.
                              I do not wish to have the slave emancipated because I love him, but because I hate his master."
                              --Salmon P. Chase

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                                [FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]I would definitely like to see you try to prove that monuments are erected to represent "white supremacy". That is utter and total nonsense.
                                I would like to see evidence if this as well.
                                I do not wish to have the slave emancipated because I love him, but because I hate his master."
                                --Salmon P. Chase

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X