Subway store sues after worker cleared of drugging officer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subway store sues after worker cleared of drugging officer

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — A Subway shop where a worker was cleared of drugging a Utah police officer’s drink filed a lawsuit Wednesday saying police waited two months to publicly disavow the headline-making allegations despite internal evidence the officer had no drugs in his system.

The Subway shop owners said officers in Layton, Utah, knew within hours that blood and urine tests were negative, but a police spokesman nevertheless continued to cite early tests indicating the possible presence of THC and methamphetamine in the officer’s lemonade. Those results were never duplicated.

“My life has been changed forever. It will never be the same,” said co-owner Kristin Myers. “It’s always going to be known as the store that drugged the cop.”

Layton City Attorney Gary Crane said the department had to investigate after the officer returned to the station with serious symptoms. Police couldn’t publicly declare the worker had been cleared until receiving the results of extensive testing from the state crime lab.
    https://apnews.com/81d959d552f94ff3b...ugging-officer

Sounds like the shop owner and employee are going to be rich. Lawsuit city is on the horizon.

Comment

once again, it appears the media is partly to blame..?
      here's a CBS Aug 2016 link

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/subway-r...fficers-drink/

they arrested a worker before knowing anything?? just on probable cause! because he felt nauseated after drinking the coffee.....this seems like the police went too far too fast....shouldn't they have checked the coffee first?
      ...I've always wondered how it works when someone can call the police on you, ''exaggerate'' an incident--then the police can arrest you?--especially the alleged rape cases....the guys really get thrown in the mud--but the women's names cannot even be reported

...I find it a sin/crime/slander/etc that the media can print just about whatever they want

Comment

Originally posted by Moulin View Post
        once again, it appears the media is partly to blame..?
        here's a CBS Aug 2016 link

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/subway-r...fficers-drink/

they arrested a worker before knowing anything?? just on probable cause! because he felt nauseated after drinking the coffee.....this seems like the police went too far too fast....shouldn't they have checked the coffee first?
        ...I've always wondered how it works when someone can call the police on you, ''exaggerate'' an incident--then the police can arrest you?--especially the alleged rape cases....the guys really get thrown in the mud--but the women's names cannot even be reported

...I find it a sin/crime/slander/etc that the media can print just about whatever they want
        This is a case of the cop having a predisposed belief that it had to be somebody out to get him. Officers can develop an "us vs. them" mentality as they deal with mostly criminals all day, everyday. Add stories in the media about fast food workers adulterating food served to police and you get just the right amount of paranoia to have the cop make conclusions from little or no evidence.

The way the last paragraph works is the police will simply say they acted out of caution based on what they knew and were not acting maliciously.... "Sorry" they'll tell the person wrongly arrested...

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
          This is a case of the cop having a predisposed belief that it had to be somebody out to get him. Officers can develop an "us vs. them" mentality as they deal with mostly criminals all day, everyday. Add stories in the media about fast food workers adulterating food served to police and you get just the right amount of paranoia to have the cop make conclusions from little or no evidence.

The way the last paragraph works is the police will simply say they acted out of caution based on what they knew and were not acting maliciously.... "Sorry" they'll tell the person wrongly arrested...
          and your post #2 will come true, because of their actions--I would think...
          ...it wasn't like they had shots fired where everyone agrees they would need to act out of caution and safety...

Comment

I've been to Subways in numerous locations across this great country of ours more times than I should mention.

The only two drink choices I've ever seen available are either a fountain drink, that you do yourself. Or, pre-packaged drinks...bottled water, juice, or soft drinks...that are in a cooler like you would find in a convenience store. In order for that officer to believe he was drugged, either the drugs were put into the pre-packaged drinks at the plant where they were produced at...in which case other people in that region would've been drugged as well. Or, the officer poured his own fountain drink, and the Subway employee magically placed the drugs into his drink. In short, either that officer and his department are complete morons, or the Subway employee that "drugged" his drink has some sort of mystical powers.

I would add that all Subways are locally owned franchises. Most are owned by people who only own one or two, not very wealthy people in other words. Something like this could easily bankrupt the owners. If I was them, I would own that police department by the time I was done with them.

Comment

Originally posted by phil74501 View Post
              I've been to Subways in numerous locations across this great country of ours more times than I should mention.

The only two drink choices I've ever seen available are either a fountain drink, that you do yourself. Or, pre-packaged drinks...bottled water, juice, or soft drinks...that are in a cooler like you would find in a convenience store. In order for that officer to believe he was drugged, either the drugs were put into the pre-packaged drinks at the plant where they were produced at...in which case other people in that region would've been drugged as well. Or, the officer poured his own fountain drink, and the Subway employee magically placed the drugs into his drink. In short, either that officer and his department are complete morons, or the Subway employee that "drugged" his drink has some sort of mystical powers.

I would add that all Subways are locally owned franchises. Most are owned by people who only own one or two, not very wealthy people in other words. Something like this could easily bankrupt the owners. If I was them, I would own that police department by the time I was done with them.
              Mystical powers is my guess...

Actual photo of the employee involved...

You saw it on the Internet, that means it must be true!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X