Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russian micro targeting

BY PETER STONE AND GREG GORDON*JULY 12, 2017*
    Investigators at the House and Senate Intelligence committees and the Justice Department are examining whether the Trump campaign’s digital operation – overseen by Jared Kushner – helped guide Russia’s sophisticated voter targeting and fake news attacks on Hillary Clinton in 2016.
    CLICK IMAGE ABOVE for direct link to McClatchy story.
    Congressional and Justice Department investigators are focusing on whether Trump’s campaign pointed Russian cyber operatives to certain voting jurisdictions in key states – areas where Trump’s digital team and Republican operatives were spotting unexpected weakness in voter support for Hillary Clinton, according to several people familiar with the parallel inquiries.
    Also under scrutiny is the question of whether Trump associates or campaign aides had any role in assisting the Russians in publicly releasing thousands of emails, hacked from the accounts of top Democrats, at turning points in the presidential race, mainly through the London-based transparency web site*WikiLeaks, .
    Rep. Adam Schiff of California, ranking Democrat on the House Intelligence Committee, told McClatchy he wants to know whether Russia’s “fake or damaging news stories” were “coordinated in any way in terms of targeting or in terms of timing or in terms of any other measure … with the (Trump) campaign.”
    By Election Day, an automated Kremlin cyberattack of unprecedented scale and sophistication had delivered critical and phony news about the Democratic presidential nominee to the Twitter and Facebook accounts of millions of voters. Some investigators suspect the Russians targeted voters in swing states, even in key precincts
    btw not saying Trump campaign did anything here. But if some of the fake news that did occur and specifically targeted at certain people. How did the Russians know who to target? That what interest me.

http://investigatingtrump.com/mcclat...tal-operation/

Originally posted by craven View Post
    fake news attacks on Hillary Clinton in 2016
    "fake news" = publication of genuine emails? Did I get it right?

Comment

Originally posted by craven View Post
      btw not saying Trump campaign did anything here. But if some of the fake news that did occur and specifically targeted at certain people. How did the Russians know who to target? That what interest me.

http://investigatingtrump.com/mcclat...tal-operation/
      Here's a simplistic explanation of what can be done.

The targets would have been groups and not individuals. The data collection and analysis companies can generate statistics for small geographic regions, like census tracts or voting precincts, and tell their customers a lot about the group of people who live there. This not just census type information like age, race, income but also: what they buy, how they voted, which websites they visit, which pages of those websites, how long they stayed on that page (read the page), what got a Facebook Like, etc. It's aggregated data that can be used to push "stories" via newsfeeds to specific small areas. Then they look at the next week's analysis and see how their effort shifted behavior and refine the news push.

An example of how you can fake info your own self:

Google tracks as much as it can about what you search for and where you go. It uses the collected data to sell ads, but it also uses it to modify your future searches. Say, on a whim, you decided to see what's up with people who believe that the Earth is flat, and spent several hours over several days searching for and reading web sites that tout theories about the flat Earth as well as conspiracies about the groups behind the lie that the Earth is round. It's a good laugh at some crackpots, but Google remembers. A couple of weeks later you use Google to search for some geography information and you get a lot of oddball results in the first few pages. Sites that just look wrong from the short description. You have to click to page three or four to find what you're looking for. Google remembered your Flat Earth reading and tried to be nice and show you closely related sites for your serious search.

You can go to Google and tell it to stop using previous search data for future searches. You can also use an extension like NoScript to prevent the Google info-gathering scripts from running and collecting data. I had to figure this out for my job when my personal searches for info on the Oracle of Delphi and other ancient oracles started tainting my business searches for troubleshooting info for the Oracle database product.

Any time you look at a web page and see things like a Facebook or Twitter button, that means those companies are running Javascript(s) on that web page both to display the button and to collect info on who visited the page. Your behavior just got added to the aggregate, and if you're using Windows 10, then your computer's unique Windows ID has been recorded for future reference.

Hmmm. That rambled on for a bit longer than I expected. Sorry. You wandered into my favorite rant.

Comment

[QUOTE=Artyom_A;3382238]"fake news" = publication of genuine emails? Did I get it right?[/QUOTE]

Yes, you did.

It's fake news about "fake news".......
        ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

It's a nothing burger.

It is even looking like the Obama administration tried to create fake news using a Russian lawyer. Trump didn't need the Russians help to defeat a corrupt candidate. Every time the corrupt Democratics and media create fake news it backfires on them as the truth comes out. If Obama's Attorney General is prosecuted there goes the house of cards. For me the real question is how do people as stupid as Clinton and Lynch rise to positions of authority.
          We hunt the hunters

Comment

Originally posted by NoPref View Post
            Here's a simplistic explanation of what can be done.

The targets would have been groups and not individuals. The data collection and analysis companies can generate statistics for small geographic regions, like census tracts or voting precincts, and tell their customers a lot about the group of people who live there. This not just census type information like age, race, income but also: what they buy, how they voted, which websites they visit, which pages of those websites, how long they stayed on that page (read the page), what got a Facebook Like, etc. It's aggregated data that can be used to push "stories" via newsfeeds to specific small areas. Then they look at the next week's analysis and see how their effort shifted behavior and refine the news push.

An example of how you can fake info your own self:

Google tracks as much as it can about what you search for and where you go. It uses the collected data to sell ads, but it also uses it to modify your future searches. Say, on a whim, you decided to see what's up with people who believe that the Earth is flat, and spent several hours over several days searching for and reading web sites that tout theories about the flat Earth as well as conspiracies about the groups behind the lie that the Earth is round. It's a good laugh at some crackpots, but Google remembers. A couple of weeks later you use Google to search for some geography information and you get a lot of oddball results in the first few pages. Sites that just look wrong from the short description. You have to click to page three or four to find what you're looking for. Google remembered your Flat Earth reading and tried to be nice and show you closely related sites for your serious search.

You can go to Google and tell it to stop using previous search data for future searches. You can also use an extension like NoScript to prevent the Google info-gathering scripts from running and collecting data. I had to figure this out for my job when my personal searches for info on the Oracle of Delphi and other ancient oracles started tainting my business searches for troubleshooting info for the Oracle database product.

Any time you look at a web page and see things like a Facebook or Twitter button, that means those companies are running Javascript(s) on that web page both to display the button and to collect info on who visited the page. Your behavior just got added to the aggregate, and if you're using Windows 10, then your computer's unique Windows ID has been recorded for future reference.

Hmmm. That rambled on for a bit longer than I expected. Sorry. You wandered into my favorite rant.
            Naw your ramble was a good one. I always laugh at people when they say the govt is spying on us. They do not have to since the late 90s where one of the email providers won the case that says email is not mail and belongs to the company rather than the individual. They been able to use emails and our searches how they wish more or less.

btw this is why Hillary used private server. Increased legal protections. (not saying what she did was right but I understand the reasoning)

yep but where did the Russians get access to this data and how to interpet it correctly.

We know big data is big money in the US.

I am just wondering how they got access to enough data to and the expertise to use the data to achieve there desired outcome.

I do find it interesting when I say it not about Trump and his supporters still go nothing to see here.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post
              It's a nothing burger.

It is even looking like the Obama administration tried to create fake news using a Russian lawyer. Trump didn't need the Russians help to defeat a corrupt candidate. Every time the corrupt Democratics and media create fake news it backfires on them as the truth comes out. If Obama's Attorney General is prosecuted there goes the house of cards. For me the real question is how do people as stupid as Clinton and Lynch rise to positions of authority.

Please try and stay on topic

Comment

[QUOTE=Gixxer86g;3382365]
                Originally posted by Artyom_A View Post
                "fake news" = publication of genuine emails? Did I get it right?[/QUOTE]

Yes, you did.

It's fake news about "fake news".......

no you missed it. There were a number of actual fake news stories about Clinton that were just things made up and published it appears.

Best known one and actually saw someone refer to it on this forum as being true was that Pizza shop story. Were a guy with the gun actually broke into the shop to free people or whatever.

http://home.bt.com/news/world-news/p...11364118669229

Comment

Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post
                  It's a nothing burger.

So now it's Obama's fault that Donald Trump Jr is a flipping moron and doesn't vet who he meets? Bungled collusion is STILL collusion! If I try to rob a bank but get caught before I get away am I still a bank robber? Yup.

As for the topic at hand, here's an interesting article from Politico how Russia spreads propaganda by targeting veterans and active duty military:
                  http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...ilitary-215247

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X