House Democrat files article of impeachment against Trump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• House Democrat files article of impeachment against Trump

Rep. Brad Sherman (D-Calif.) formally introduced an article of impeachment against President Trump on Wednesday that accuses the president of obstructing justice during the federal investigation of Russia’s 2016 election interference.

This is the first time a lawmaker has offered an impeachment article against Trump, and it comes as Democrats have debated whether it is politically wise to press the case for impeachment at this time.

A majority vote in the House, currently controlled by Republicans, is required to impeach a president. Republicans have a 46-seat advantage.
    White House spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders slammed the move.

“I think that is utterly and completely ridiculous and a political game at its worst,” she told reporters Wednesday at an off-camera briefing.
    http://thehill.com/homenews/house/34...-against-trump

Anyone willing to offer odds that this actually succeeds? Because I honestly can't envisage this passing barring some truly monumental revelation - and I'm not exactly holding my breath that they're gonna find video footage of Trump and Putin plotting to take over the world anytime soon. Even the Sherman himself doesn't think it will pass.

Hmmm... might also be worth considering if a failed impeachment would do Trump more good than harm. Not sure this was in the Dems best interests... but then, it could just serve to connect "Trump" and "impeachment" in the public mind.

Comment

It didn't make the OAN news this AM. Frankly, I see no chance of this succeeding; instead, I see the potential for massive damage to the Democratic Party, who now have a reputation as the Spoiled Brat Party.
      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        It didn't make the OAN news this AM. Frankly, I see no chance of this succeeding; instead, I see the potential for massive damage to the Democratic Party, who now have a reputation as the Spoiled Brat Party.
        I wouldn't say massive damage, but I could see this backfiring on them. The fact that this will die in the House means it isn't liable to grow big enough to cause lasting damage to either party - maybe a little taint for the Dems being petulant/obstructionist and a little taint for Trump by furthering the connection between his name and ideas of corruption.

The Dems could suffer a major blow if it actually progressed and was then shot down... but not only would the GOP never risk that, these things can be unpredictable. Look at Johnson; even victory was a defeat.

But again, the major takeaway right now is that this is just political theater, and nothing of substance.

Comment

If I was them, I would at least wait until after the interim election...and hope you get a majority in the House in that election. Unless a bunch of Republicans jump ship, this is going nowhere. And if those Republicans were to jump ship, and impeach Trump, in the end it would do more harm to the Republican party than letting Trump stay in office. It took the Republicans years to recover from Watergate. They were lucky that Carter was elected President, and that Reagan came along, or it would've been even longer.

Comment

The guy is a delusional moron, he will not get any backing from sane democrats and he knows it, there are no grounds for impeachment I can only guess that to him, Trump being Trump is enough and he wants his 5 minutes of fame for his constituents.
            Last edited by Trung Si; 12 Jul 17, 21:16.
            Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

And, in a personal photo op...

Now, it's all explained...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X