Chicago holiday weekend shootings claim 101 victims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicago holiday weekend shootings claim 101 victims

At least 101 people were shot in Chicago over the Fourth of July weekend, according to a city newspaper.
    Nearly half of the shootings during the four-day holiday happened over 12 hours, reports the Chicago Tribune.
    The youngest victim was a 13-year-old boy and the oldest a 60-year-old man.
    US President Donald Trump recently said he was sending in federal agents to help local police contain the Illinois city's gang wars.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40514995
    Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Might as well send in bombers and nukes...nothing else will work.

Comment

The problem is the culture there, not a lack of police. Sending federal agents is only going to inflame the situation.
      "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
      - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post
        The problem is the culture there, not a lack of police. Sending federal agents is only going to inflame the situation.
        Given what has happened in Baltimore and Ferguson, in addition to Obama's policy of "The Police acted stupidly," Chicago police long ago have adopted a hands off policy. They only go to the crime scene to file the report.

Needless to say, the ALPHABET Lame Stream continues to remain silent over this mindless gun violence that has become so commonplace in a city where the law abiding are forbidden from possessing a gun.

I have my doubts that the Federal Agents will be able to do little more then obtain the names and last known addresses of known gang members. There could be possible deportations of those that are here illegally. Most likely, nothing is going to happen.

What is the cure?

The only solution would be to round up all of the young males in the neighborhood in one surprised organized dragnet, complete with search warrants, using the National Guard and State Police to do the arrest, process them through a detention center, release the innocent, and detain those caught with illegal weapons for further processing to the fullest extent of Federal Gun Laws. It would not only make the neighborhoods much safer, it would send a message that crime, especially when using a gun, does not pay.

Needless to say, there would be a huge outcry from Democrats, Black Lives Matter, and other Progressives. Still, it has been proven that prosecuting to the fullest extent for violation of gun laws work to get the guns off the streets.

It worked in Richmond years ago, the dragnet wasn't needed. Just the fact that you would spend a min 5 years in prison for illegal possession alone was enough to get the guns off the streets there.
        “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

The problem isn't culture, nor lack of police, nor gun control, nor anything else so doctrinaire. The reason for Chicago's stubborn violence is plainly visible on a map.

Chicago IL

For a picture of a town with a similar problem, Camden NJ

In the 1970s the big drug route was I-87 for Turkish/Sicilian/French heroin, shipped to Montreal and driven down to New York by Carmine Galante's "Zips" with the Bonano Family. In the 1980s it was Cubans driving I-95 up from Miami Fl to Washington DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York, and Boston. Chicago was always a confluence of east-west and north-south transportation routes. Robert de LaSalle recognized Chicago's value as early as 1680. In an era when canoes were the most reliable form of transport, Chicago afforded access to the Mississippi and Ohio valleys and the Great Lakes. For the most part, the railroads and the interstate highways that followed in the 19th and 20th centuries followed the old "water level routes." So even today, if I want to drive from New York to Minneapolis, my route will rather parallel the routes taken by Dutch traders and Indian fur trappers from the colonial past.

Today's drug gangsters are businessmen too. They're traders, they're merchants. They know the value of real estate that provides access to major transportation routes. It should come as no surprise at all that a city at the junction of several major routes will be viewed as a solid gold real estate by narcotraffickers: something worth fighting for, something worth killing for. The drug dealers are simply responding to demand, same as 'most any other merchant in our economy.

After four-some decades of "The War on Drugs," it's pretty damned laughable that the average citizen can't look at a map and tell at a glance where the major points of conflict will be between drug gangs. And it's damned shameful that we keep elected bloated windbags who can't do any better.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.8efbf81b7e9e

https://www.hsdl.org/?view&did=476241

Edited to add: for the edification of our European friends, the roads in the Interstate highway System are numbered in such a way as to make instantly plain in what direction they run, and in what part of the country. Two-digit odd numbers run north-south (I-95 Maine to Florida) lower values along the west coast, higher the east; two-digit even numbers run east-west (I-80 New York to Oakland CA, I-90 Boston to Seattle WA) high values run closer to the Canadian border while lower values the Mexican. Three-digit spurs run off of the main two-digit highways (I-495 east from New Jersey into Long Island, I-278 east from New Jersey into Brooklyn.) "You are now free to move about the country."
          Last edited by slick_miester; 06 Jul 17, 17:16.
          I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by SRV Ron View Post

Needless to say, the ALPHABET Lame Stream continues to remain silent over this mindless gun violence that has become so commonplace in a city where the law abiding are forbidden from possessing a gun.
            Illinois passed a state preemption law several years so that is no longer true.

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
              After four-some decades of "The War on Drugs," it's pretty damned laughable that the average citizen can't look at a map and tell at a glance where the major points of conflict will be between drug gangs. And it's damned shameful that we keep elected bloated windbags who can't do any better.

End the drug war and we'll significantly reduce the amount of violent crime across the country.
              "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
              - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                Edited to add: for the edification of our European friends, the roads in the Interstate highway System are numbered in such a way as to make instantly plain in what direction they run, and in what part of the country. Two-digit odd numbers run north-south (I-95 Maine to Florida) lower values along the west coast, higher the east; two-digit even numbers run east-west (I-80 New York to Oakland CA, I-90 Boston to Seattle WA) high values run closer to the Canadian border while lower values the Mexican. Three-digit spurs run off of the main two-digit highways (I-495 east from New Jersey into Long Island, I-278 east from New Jersey into Brooklyn.) "You are now free to move about the country."
                One more add-on--the longer routes normally (I-94 being an exception) end in "5" or "0".

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
                  One more add-on--the longer routes normally (I-94 being an exception) end in "5" or "0".
                  The original US routes - prior to interstates - started in the East and North. I'm about 3 miles from both Interstate 95, and also US 1. They are about 500 feet from each other, and both go Maine to Florida or vice versa. US 2 goes across much of the northern edge of the country, although it skips from NY to Michigan.

Comment

Originally posted by lakechampainer View Post
                    US 2 goes across much of the northern edge of the country, although it skips from NY to Michigan.
                    Only until we annex Ontario. We'll have to deport those annoying Maple Leafs fans, though.

Comment

As to the OP--that's less than a 15% kill rate. With all the AK's and AR's that are only meant to kill a lot of people quickly, I'm not impressed.

Comment

My worst jump story:
                        My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                        As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                        No lie.

~
                        "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                        -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X