Gettysburg anniversary seeing few flare-ups, despite rumors of violence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gettysburg anniversary seeing few flare-ups, despite rumors of violence

GETTYSBURG, Pa. – Despite rampant rumors of violence, protests and counter-protests planned this weekend at Gettysburg that prompted heightened security, there were few flare-ups by midday Saturday.

Reports surfaced that a Confederate supporter, whose identity has not been disclosed, bought a revolver to Gettysburg National Park and accidentally shot himself in the leg. The incident took place around 1 pm.

Earlier Saturday, a handful of pro-Confederate supporters had stationed themselves at various monuments at Gettysburg.

Patrick Werner, wearing a white USA t-shirt, arrived at the site holding a sign that read, "The soldiers who fought here did not wear masks."

Werner told Fox News he came to Gettysburg because he had heard rumors of anti-Confederate protesters – with their faces covered – coming to the historic grounds for the 154th anniversary of the pivotal Civil War battle, though none were around as of mid-morning.
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/07/01...-violence.html

Okay, what are your thoughts?
    "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post
      Okay, what are your thoughts?
      DoD answered this on another post. He doesn't have any thoughts, considering the articles he posts to be "quite adequate" by themselves.

In other words, he just throws out some bait and waits to see who bites, and then goes after them.
      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        DoD answered this on another post. He doesn't have any thoughts, considering the articles he posts to be "quite adequate" by themselves.

In other words, he just throws out some bait and waits to see who bites, and then goes after them.
        From the king of throw out a Fox news stories about Mr Obama for 8 years.... History is out there.
        “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
        “To talk of many things:
        Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
        Of cabbages—and kings—
        And why the sea is boiling hot—
        And whether pigs have wings.”
        ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

And to help keep this great forum informed about certain developments, especially when it concerns something they consider important - such as civil war history and/or the preservation of historical monuments.

Comment

I nominate this for the most ironic post of all time.

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
              From the king of throw out a Fox news stories about Mr Obama for 8 years.... History is out there.
              Lots of forum members use Fox News, even to this day. The difference is, I stopped using it and they didn't.

But thanks for caring.

Comment

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
                And to help keep this great forum informed about certain developments, especially when it concerns something they consider important - such as civil war history and/or the preservation of historical monuments.
                And how does this OP do that?

Comment

And how does this OP do that?
                  By pointing out that fears about a wave of anti-confederate protestors hell bent upon descending upon Gettysburg to deface monuments - something plenty of people believed, and something which ties into plenty of recent political concerns vis-a-vis confederate monuments being removed - was in fact untrue.

I'm happy to answer questions, but I'm busy with party preparations and family care. You'd probably find these answers faster by reading the article directly.

Comment

The Confederate shooting himself in the leg seems like an attempted Darwin....
                    "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post
                      That was the best portion of the article.

Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

Initiated Chief Petty Officer
                      Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!

Comment

I was at Gettysburg for all 3 days, both at the reenactment and the battlefield. It was a good time, and I never saw any disruptions. I was actually kind of hoping to see some fascists, oops, antifa.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
                        "A foe who had fought so long and valiantly, and had suffered so much for a cause, though that cause was, I believe, one of the worst for which a people ever fought, and one for which there was the least excuse." Ulysses S. Grant

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post

Southern Democrats aren't known to be the sharpest tools in the shed.
                          "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
                            Speaking of ...
                            Trump’s Park Service salary donation goes to Civil War battlefield
                            EXCERPT:
                            SHARPSTOWN, MD. - President Trump's donation of his first-quarter salary will go towards a pair of projects at a preserved Civil War battlefield in Maryland.

Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke traveled Wednesday to the Antietam National Battlefield in Maryland, 70 miles northwest of Washington, D.C., to announce his choice of where to direct the $78,333.32 check Trump gave to the National Park Service (NPS) in April.

"I can find no better investment in our country than our battlefields," Zinke told NPS employees, philanthropists and reporters as he stood among the hills and cornfields where thousands of Union and Confederate soldiers died on a single day in 1862.
                            http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politi...fXQ?li=BBnb7Kz
                            TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X