• Show
Clear All

• US destroyer hits cargo ship

must've been a hard crash

http://abcnews.go.com/International/...ry?id=48092522

DM with pics..also says 7 missing??
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...nt-vessel.html

CNN reports not all accounted for

one time our LST came alongside a ship in South America...our ship was rocking hard, side to side a lot, and part of it hit the other ship and holed it topside
    ...with 2 ships moving forward,rocking side to side and up and down on the sea, it takes experience keep from colliding
    Last edited by Moulin; 16 Jun 17, 19:38.

Looks to me more like the cargo ship hit the destroyer.

Comment

Radar?

Comment

Either way (DD hits Merchie or Merchie hits DD), unless the Navy has changed a LOT...... I know of one promising Commander who's career has come to a screeching halt.

GG
        "The will of a section rooted in self interest, should not outweigh the vital interests of a whole people." -Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain-

"Fanatics of any sort are dangerous." -GG-

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
          Radar?
          thanks all replies
          yes..
          appears to have taken place in open water...??
          this will be interesting to see what happened
          you would think it couldn't happen--but after the USS Greenville smash, I wouldn't count anything out

damage to DD is starboard side--correct?
          if ships are closing, aren't they supposed to turn to starboard?
          merchant ship damage to bow
          so the merchant ship ran into DD..?
          Last edited by Moulin; 16 Jun 17, 22:18.

Comment

This appears to be another USS Kinkaid DD-965 incident except this one was in open waters not like the Strait of Malacca.
            Too Much To Do Too Little Time

Comment

Originally posted by Grognard Gunny View Post
              Either way (DD hits Merchie or Merchie hits DD), unless the Navy has changed a LOT...... I know of one promising Commander who's career has come to a screeching halt.

GG
              His along with the navigator, OOD, and most or all of the bridge watch too.

Comment

It is holed - or damaged - under waterline as well.
                It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, it is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed. The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion

Comment

Originally posted by Grognard Gunny View Post

GG
                  He was also injured in the collision.

Two crew members, including the captain, have been evacuated from a Navy destroyer. The Navy said in a statement that Cmdr. Bryce Benson, the ship's commanding officer, was evacuated to the U.S. Naval Hospital in Yokosuka, home base of the 7th Fleet. It says he was in stable condition.
                  ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

So what?? He is the commander and responseable for the ship.
                    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Yes, he was. And seven sailors are missing. He's responsible for that also.

And the larger ship has the right of way as the smaller vessel has the advantage in maneuverability.

When I was at Guantanamo in the late 80s the Coral Sea his a Panamanian merchant ship and almost sank her. She came into Guantanamo to dock and was very low in the water. The Coral Sea had a large chunk out of the bow, but was otherwise OK.

A friend of mine was on the MarDet on the ship and told me later that the OOD passed out on the bridge when the collision occurred. He knew he was done.
                      We are not now that strength which in old days
                      Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                      Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                      To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                        So what?? He is the commander and responseable for the ship.
                        What does that have to do with his injuries?

Arguing for the sake of arguing? Go back to sleep, John.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
                        ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Did the Officer on the Deck on the destroyer think that he, she, could cross in front of the cargo ship before they were too close? Did someone in navigation believe that the cargo ship was going slower then it really was?

Given how fragile destroyers are constructed, they weren't called tin cans for nothing in WW2, It's surprising that the destroyer wasn't cut in half or suffer more damage by the impact.

Heads are sure to roll, with the careers of the command staff in ruins, in the upcoming investigation.
                          “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

https://youtu.be/_VHXRYXzEVU

That rug really tied the room together

Comment

How on earth could this happen when both ships must have had sophisticated radar, etc. and, in the case of the navy at least, highly trained officers?

Philip
                              "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."— Bertrand Russell

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X