No announcement yet.

Trump Shifting Authority Over Military Operations Back to Pentagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There were three Alaskas that were constructed and three more were cancelled. The Puerto Rico was not finished before the war was over, but were supposed to be converted to a "Missile Cruiser". I can't say if the PR was supposed to use AA or Surface to Surface missiles. Later on in the 50's a number of Cruisers were converted to use AA missiles (Talos and Terriers). Using some Alaskas in storage might have worked as well. The conversion of an Alaska would have included extensive drafting work and cutting but so did using 6" and 8" Cruisers. It would have been easier to find room for Staff on an Alaska.

Some people were a little too ready to scrap to scrap the Alaskas.

Pruitt
    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

All that said, I still think Trump is right to have a hands off approach to tactical decisions, even if we are now discussing naval ship building that took place before Trump was born....just saying!
      Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
        There were three Alaskas that were constructed and three more were cancelled. The Puerto Rico was not finished before the war was over, but were supposed to be converted to a "Missile Cruiser". I can't say if the PR was supposed to use AA or Surface to Surface missiles. Later on in the 50's a number of Cruisers were converted to use AA missiles (Talos and Terriers). Using some Alaskas in storage might have worked as well. The conversion of an Alaska would have included extensive drafting work and cutting but so did using 6" and 8" Cruisers. It would have been easier to find room for Staff on an Alaska.

Some people were a little too ready to scrap to scrap the Alaskas.

Pruitt
        This is hilarious. You went from saying that they should have been carriers to now they should have been missile cruisers. Face it, they were a failed ship that the navy cut their losses on.

Comment

I still say they should have been converted. The Lexington and Saratoga were successful conversions to Carriers. The Puerto Rico was chosen to be converted into a Missile Cruiser, instead of being completed. Since the Alaska and Guam were in Mothballs, they could have also been converted to AA Cruisers like the Navy did with some other WWII built Cruisers.

Pruitt
          Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X