No announcement yet.

When Portland banned blacks: Oregon's shameful history as an 'all-white' state

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When Portland banned blacks: Oregon's shameful history as an 'all-white' state

We have come along way but the recent Portland attacker shows that the supremacist mentality still exists in our world.

When Oregon entered the Union in 1859 - it did so as a "whites-only" state. The original state constitution banned slavery, but also excluded nonwhites from living there.

"Oregon is the only state in the United States that actually began as literally whites-only," said Winston Grady-Willis, director of Portland State University's School of Gender, Race and Nations. "Even though there was subsequent legislation that challenged those statutes, the statutes were not removed from the books until 1922."

Grady-Willis added: "It's really important for folks to understand this notion of Oregon as this lily-white state sets the tone and is important structurally for the remainder of history of not only the state, but cities like Portland as well."

Portland's reputation as a progressive city is largely a myth, he said. Portland remains the whitest, large city in United States. According to a July 2015 Census report, the city of 639,863 people, was 87.6 percent white; and 2.1 percent black. Grady-Willis called it "a key site for Klan activity."

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/W...l-11203239.php
    Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
    Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

My first thought after reading the title was I bet their Basketball team sucked!

Pruitt
    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
      My first thought after reading the title was I bet their Basketball team sucked!

Pruitt
      Apparently it is evidence of a crime to live in a place where there are too many white people.
      And apparently, Asians and Hispanics don't count.

Now, for those of you who live in the present, instead of the past -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRuMV7GXkM8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aZC64NGL2w

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall_Jack View Post
        We have come along way but the recent Portland attacker shows that the supremacist mentality still exists in our world.

When Oregon entered the Union in 1859 - it did so as a "whites-only" state. The original state constitution banned slavery, but also excluded nonwhites from living there.

"Oregon is the only state in the United States that actually began as literally whites-only," said Winston Grady-Willis, director of Portland State University's School of Gender, Race and Nations. "Even though there was subsequent legislation that challenged those statutes, the statutes were not removed from the books until 1922."

Grady-Willis added: "It's really important for folks to understand this notion of Oregon as this lily-white state sets the tone and is important structurally for the remainder of history of not only the state, but cities like Portland as well."

Portland's reputation as a progressive city is largely a myth, he said. Portland remains the whitest, large city in United States. According to a July 2015 Census report, the city of 639,863 people, was 87.6 percent white; and 2.1 percent black. Grady-Willis called it "a key site for Klan activity."

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/W...l-11203239.php
        And this matters now because?:
        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Pruitt
          Talk about a racist comment...

Comment

Pruitt
            HA! HA!

GG
            "The will of a section rooted in self interest, should not outweigh the vital interests of a whole people." -Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain-

"Fanatics of any sort are dangerous." -GG-

Comment

I actually read somewhere that a "number" of States had "anti-black" immigration laws on the books. Illinois, for one.

I found this somewhat disconcerting after the Civil War. After all, the Northern States freed the slaves but didn't want them in "their" State.

Maybe the North wasn't so "pure of purpose" after all.

GG
              "The will of a section rooted in self interest, should not outweigh the vital interests of a whole people." -Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain-

"Fanatics of any sort are dangerous." -GG-

Comment

Originally posted by Grognard Gunny View Post
                I actually read somewhere that a "number" of States had "anti-black" immigration laws on the books. Illinois, for one.

I found this somewhat disconcerting after the Civil War. After all, the Northern States freed the slaves but didn't want them in "their" State.

GG
                The North was never "pure of purpose". The Carpetbaggers who ravaged and pillaged the shattered remains of the South were from the North, and Lincoln never cared about freeing slaves.

Comment

Look up the Truth About Mother Teresa, and then try telling me who the HELL in the entire history of Humanity ever was.

Every accomplishment, every step in the right direction, every positive move of any kind by any group of people who ever lived can be besmirched by anyone that does a little research and looks for the nasty crap.
                  People find what they want to, generally.

But since when did that have to become the defining characteristic of all of our discourse on any and all subject matter?

Negative is always easier than the positive, but don't you miss the days when something could be admired about the Heroes of the past without having hundreds of childish Trolls run up to spit on people who can't speak for themselves anymore.

No, not you specifically, GG, but this one-note approach to every facet of History has really pinched my last nerve.
                  ... I blame Govt Schools .

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
                    Look up the Truth About Mother Teresa, and then try telling me who the HELL in the entire history of Humanity ever was.

Every accomplishment, every step in the right direction, every positive move of any kind by any group of people who ever lived can be besmirched by anyone that does a little research and looks for the nasty crap.
                    People find what they want to, generally.

But since when did that have to become the defining characteristic of all of our discourse on any and all subject matter?

Negative is always easier than the positive, but don't you miss the days when something could be admired about the Heroes of the past without having hundreds of childish Trolls run up to spit on people who can't speak for themselves anymore.

No, not you specifically, GG, but this one-note approach to every facet of History has really pinched my last nerve.
                    ... I blame Govt Schools .
                    Does the truth offend you? Because that is your stated position at this point.

It's perfectly all right to admire historical figures, but not all right to let that admiration cloud and distort who they really were.

What I was taught in school has turned out to be a great whitewash of the real history. History is written by the winners, and then distorted and manipulated to serve the interests of others, and thus it is always suspect.

Lincoln, for example, was a great man in many ways, but that does not alter the fact that when it came to slavery, he considered blacks to be a lesser species, and slavery to be something to be negotiated i pursuit of his goal of over-riding federal government control of all states and citizens. He himself said so many times both orally and in writing.

The key to understanding history is to accept all of it, not just the parts that one likes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      Does the truth offend you? Because that is your stated position at this point.
                      You know what you can do with your manipulation of my words, don't you?

No, what I said is the use of one small truth to overturn the rest of all truths is repugnant to me, especially when it us used to drive a political agenda without regard to the damage it causes.
                      And, see my signature.

It's perfectly all right to admire historical figures, but not all right to let that admiration cloud and distort who they really were.
                      In fact, it isn't alright and it never was.
                      However, the far-Left always begins and ends any discussion of the Founding Fathers with the factoid that some of them were slave-owners, as if this were something bizarre in the British Colonial Empire of the day.
                      And it is repeated in any mention of the Constitution, in order to de-legitimize the founding of the United States and to all into question the legitimacy of our entire nation, its Democracy, and the entire concept of Liberty.
                      Slavery in America is the ONLY thing that many people around the world know of our history, period.
                      That is the kind of thing that enrages me, in regards to this subject.

What I was taught in school has turned out to be a great whitewash of the real history. History is written by the winners, and then distorted and manipulated to serve the interests of others, and thus it is always suspect.
                      So everything about history is false, because you don't like the way you were taught it?
                      Write a book.
                      Correct it, do the research and back your findings up.
                      You just might have the makings of the next text-book there.

Lincoln, for example, was a great man in many ways, but that does not alter the fact that when it came to slavery, he considered blacks to be a lesser species, and slavery to be something to be negotiated i pursuit of his goal of over-riding federal government control of all states and citizens. He himself said so many times both orally and in writing.
                      Lincoln was struggling to avoid the Civil War.
                      Not a bad idea, seeing as how it turned out to be the most destructive war in our entire history. Not just in the scale of it, but the sheer numbers... more Americans killed than in WW1, WW2 and Korea, combined.

However; Lincoln's very election triggered secession, he hadn't even done anything yet before it started. Does that sound like a man that was very supportive of slavery to you?

The key to understanding history is to accept all of it, not just the parts that one likes. [/FONT]
                      Which is why I went off like I did.
                      Don't you ever step back and take a look at the whole? The vast majority of all that we see about history today is the negative, the muck-racking that leads to sensational tear-downs and juicy expose' with just the tiniest (disclaimer-level) hints at the over-all good in people or things.
                      Things like our own country.

And as a result, we have madness like what is happening at Evergreen College, and scores of other places.

Secession is being encouraged again, by some even nastier people than what was dealt with before.
                      Does anyone care?

Comment

Is it possible to expunge the original sin of racism?

What would it look like if it happened?

Would there still be crazy individuals screaming racist things?

Would the demographic for each city be identical with the national census? Which is racist more of one group or less of one group?

Comment

The North was never "pure of purpose". The Carpetbaggers who ravaged and pillaged the shattered remains of the South were from the North, and Lincoln never cared about freeing slaves.
                          Blah, blah, blah. How come whenever you spout this garbage about the Civil War you never come back and defend your position? Numerous times you've been asked to back up your BS about Lincoln and you never do. So why should we take you seriously when talking about Lincoln and the Civil War?
                          Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

GG
                            Yes, Illinois did have those laws and the man who drafted them was John A. Logan who certainly came to realize he was wrong and became one of the freedman's most vocal advocates after the war. A minimal search into this subject would've shown you this.

Rather sad, this being a History Forum, that you didn't bother to look this up before posting.
                            Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

I admire John Logan's war record, but I have to ask how he felt about Freedmen streaming North to live in Illinois? Many Union Officers were friends to Freedmen until they wanted to move to his neighborhood.

Pruitt
                              Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X