Canada Defense Review released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada Defense Review released

The latest Defense Review is out and it specifies what Canada needs for our defense.

http://dgpaapp.forces.gc.ca/en/canad...y-capacity.asp

We'll now buy 88 Fighter planes up from the 65 required before most likely the F-35a also armed drones,new tanker aircraft,maritime patrol and the Navy gets more funding for the new frigates but there's no new Submarines being bought which we need,instead the current Subs will be upgraded to last until 2040 the Army get will get new Air Defense weapons and new support Armoured vehicles,the Armed Forces will now be in charge of the countries cyber security and Special Operations Forces will increase another 605 personel the Special Forces Company in CSOR (Canadian Special Operations Regiment) which is modeled after the US Army Special Forces Company will be increased with another 2 Companies and become a seperate Battalion.
    More is needed like Attack Helicopters and Nuclear powered Submarines but this upgrading is a good start.
    Last edited by VinceW; 07 Jun 17, 15:52.

I didn't see any timeframe listed. I'm most familiar with the RCN and they keep talking about replacements but keep kicking the funding down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
      I didn't see any timeframe listed. I'm most familiar with the RCN and they keep talking about replacements but keep kicking the funding down the road.
      They're projecting that most of the spending will increase the most in the mid 20's but that is if politics doesn't get in the way.

http://ca.reuters.com/article/topNew...BN18Y2H2-OCATP

Comment

So basically:

"We're authorizing and projecting this increase in our military. It won't cost a dime right now, so everybody is happy with us. When the bill does come due, the ones in charge then can either **** off the people by spending money, or cancel the increases and make everyone happy by saving money"
        Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
          So basically:

"We're authorizing and projecting this increase in our military. It won't cost a dime right now, so everybody is happy with us. When the bill does come due, the ones in charge then can either **** off the people by spending money, or cancel the increases and make everyone happy by saving money"
          Cheer up, it's all in the right direction

Tuesday's Foreign Policy Statement by Freeland was wonderful, I'm proud of her.

Yesterday's commitment to higher Defense spending was a little disappointing in amount and timing, but 1/2 a percent of GNP is still quite an increase and renewed commitment to numerous active operations outside of Canada is pleasing. Some commentators state that Canada's defense expenditure is currently grossly understated because of Defense spending in other departments that aren't counted in Canada, but would be elsewhere. Trudeau has to fight off Quebec's traditional pacifist isolationism and the current circumstances are a good opportunity for that. I'd suggest that Canada has a solid government with a serious Foreign and Defense policy. At least the overall direction and narrative is positive, to me anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by VinceW View Post
            They're projecting that most of the spending will increase the most in the mid 20's but that is if politics doesn't get in the way.

http://ca.reuters.com/article/topNew...BN18Y2H2-OCATP
            It's very optimistic to assume that the world situation will wait for Canada's budget to catch up to real world military needs.

How long after the spending increases will Canada actually achieve their stated objectives? Remember, once you have it, you have to maintain it, repair it, upgrade it, fuel it, train it, deploy it and actually use it once in awhile or it's completely worthless.
            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
              So basically:

In other words, do nothing, since politicians are terminally averse to taking responsibility for increased taxation-based spending.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                It's very optimistic to assume that the world situation will wait for Canada's budget to catch up to real world military needs.

How long after the spending increases will Canada actually achieve their stated objectives? Remember, once you have it, you have to maintain it, repair it, upgrade it, fuel it, train it, deploy it and actually use it once in awhile or it's completely worthless.
                Thanks for proving that you know absolutely nothing about our military history.

Comment

What ever happened with those four subs without torpedo tubes? Did you guys fix that?
                  Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
                    What ever happened with those four subs without torpedo tubes? Did you guys fix that?
                    Unlike the myth that they are not doing much, one or two are always out at sea patrolling, one or two are always in prep to leave for a mission, and one is always in scheduled maintenance.

If I understand correctly, the torpedo tubes are being replaced to accept US-made torpedoes vs the old British ones. I'm not sure where that overhaul process is at this point.

Having spoke with some of the current and retired Canadian sub commanders, I understand that that the subs are actually good in doing the work they need to do undersea. I understand that the Navy always said that all four subs would need a major overhaul after we got them from Britain, but resources being prioritized towards Canada's mission to Afghanistan has slowed down the overhaul process.

Comment

Originally posted by VinceW View Post
                      Thanks for proving that you know absolutely nothing about our military history.
                      Which is why I asked a question, which you did not even attempt to answer.

You might consider fewer insults and more thinking...

Next question: what is Canada's objective in increasing its military forces? What enemies do you anticipate opposing?

Comment

What enemies do you anticipate opposing?
                        The same ones that we face.

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
                          Don't need them when backing towards the enemy in order to make a quick retreat. Just extra weight.

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
                            The same ones that we face.
                            Seriously? How many Canadians in Japan, Korea and Germany? Howe many in Iraq, Afghanistan, Somalia and other places where Americans are engaged?

I'm delighted to learn that Canada intends to become a world military power and shoulder the burden. That is the plan...right?

Comment

I'm delighted to learn that Canada intends to become a world military power and shoulder the burden. That is the plan...right? [/FONT]
                              In case you would like to take off the mantle of ignorance you so enjoy wearing:
                              Here is a web page that lists where the Canadian Military is and what it is doing.
                              http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/operations/current.page

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X