Comedienne Kathy Griffin is an Idiot...and May Now be a Criminal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SRV Ron View Post
    As another bunch of Progressive "snowflakes" wish it would happen. (Latest Drudge Headlines.)

NYT STANDS BY 'TRUMP ASSASSINATION' PLAY
    TIME WARNER STILL FUNDING
    CNN HOST HAILS 'MASTERPIECE'

At least, these companies decided to pull their sponsorship over such poor taste. (Or possible threat of investigation by the Secret Service.)
    http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.3239341
    Whose playing 2017's edition of Brutus, aka John Wilkes Booth?

Let's everyone keep our panties on. I'm certain that Shakespeare's Julius Caesar has been a vehicle for contemporary political commentary for centuries. Indeed, if you read the play to the end, you'll note how Caesar's assassins all came to miserable ends, so I'm sure that one can read The Bard's work as a warning to any who'd consider assassination as a viable means of effecting political change: it don't shake out quite like you'd think.

Joe Papp, Robert Moses, and Mustache Pete Constable are all long dead. Who will be playing their roles now?
    I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

• Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
      Whose playing 2017's edition of Brutus, aka John Wilkes Booth?

Let's everyone keep our panties on. I'm certain that Shakespeare's Julius Caesar has been a vehicle for contemporary political commentary for centuries. Indeed, if you read the play to the end, you'll note how Caesar's assassins all came to miserable ends, so I'm sure that one can read The Bard's work as a warning to any who'd consider assassination as a viable means of effecting political change: it don't shake out quite like you'd think.

Joe Papp, Robert Moses, and Mustache Pete Constable are all long dead. Who will be playing their roles now?

I only have a problem with the fact that imagining the assassination of a president is now acceptable, lauded even, when just a little while ago it would have been swiftly condemned as racist by the show's supporters, CNN and the NYT.
      Their hypocrisy is the most troubling aspect of the story.
      I even suspect that had it been about Obama it would have been shut down by the authorities.
      Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post
        I only have a problem with the fact that imagining the assassination of a president is now acceptable, lauded even, when just a little while ago it would have been swiftly condemned as racist by the show's supporters, CNN and the NYT.
        Their hypocrisy is the most troubling aspect of the story.
        I even suspect that had it been about Obama it would have been shut down by the authorities.
        What are you saying, that you're only now discovering that there are a lot of partisans and hypocrites in show business? Just showing up for the party are you?

Julius Caesar is arguably The Bard's most overtly political work. Indeed, not four years ago The New York Times launched into a diatribe about just how topical Caesar can be.

A country is thrown into chaos when its leaders descend into conflict in Shakespeare’s “Julius Caesar.” Does this sound slightly familiar?

The Rome depicted in Shakespeare’s play and our own fractious democracy are of course hardly equivalent. But it is an odd coincidence that at a time when the country appears to be on the brink of confusion — with the fate of the world’s financial markets hanging in the balance, or so we are told — New York should be hosting a new production of one of Shakespeare’s most overtly political plays, and one, furthermore, in which scheming politicians wreak havoc on what had been a functioning state.

As the Shakespeare scholar Marjorie Garber notes in her book “Shakespeare After All,” this particular play “is as likely to be taught and read today in classes on political theory, business, and “leadership” as it is in the context of Shakespeare and his literary contemporaries,” adding that the play speaks “pertinently, and impertinently, to the modern and postmodern condition, to modern history, and to modern politics, rhetoric and oratory.”

Were you to go probing for specific parallels of the current moment, you might fancifully see the far-right wing of the Republican party as similar to at least some of the Roman conspirators who are determined to bring down the mighty Caesar in Shakespeare’s play. While the American president is hardly a figure ruling with the power of a Caesar, there does sometimes seem to be an almost obsessive desire on the part of the Tea Party and its Congressional supporters to oppose the President’s will at every turn. . . . .

"A Timeless Thirst for Power: The Political Lessons of ‘Julius Caesar,’" by Charles Isherwood, The New York Times, 10 Oct 2013
        The play's fine. So is this current production. Let's not be such rubes.

Not a one of you has a chance of pulling it off like Leslie Neilsen.
        I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X