MEMORIAL DAY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MEMORIAL DAY

To my fellow Veterans, I will always have your back no matter what.....even if we don't agree. Never forget those who went before and most of all, those that never returned.

Grandfather Mario - battles of Vittorio Veneto, Piave, Isonzo, and Caporetto, alsoserved in WWII
    Grandfather George - France WWI - wounded in action
    Uncle Bill - KIA on return from a strike mission over Germany on his B17
    Uncle Mario - one of eight men that managed to get off his submarine after it was depth charged
    Uncle Michele - one of 400,000 Italian peasant boys sent to Russia by Mussolini - less than 10% made it back - seven years as a POW in the USSR after the war was over

Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

Initiated Chief Petty Officer
    Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!

nice sentiment. Same here. My relatives..........Grandfather in France 1918.Father WW2 Guadalcanal.Three uncles us navy WW2. One uncle us Army France WW2.Uncle in korea 1st marine division The chosin.......

All are gone now... but not forgotten.......

and to all those who chose to fight for the stars and stripes and gave their all..........

Comment

Well said, as usual.

We have a permanent Vietnam Memorial in our town and my family and I just got back from visiting it and seeing my eldest brother's and cousin's name on it.
      We are not now that strength which in old days
      Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
      Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
      To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Thank you for your service and for making the darkness to step back.
        Or at least ,trying to.
        I believe that , next week , some of your Veterans will be decorated with the Legion d'honneur .
        We don't forget.
        That rug really tied the room together

Comment

To the unknown soldiers of all wars that stood for freedom and peace.
          Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Never Forgotten RIP
            "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."- Sir Winston Churchill, about R.A.F. fighter pilots."
            "It is well that war is so terrible, else we grow to fond of it." - Robert E. Lee

Comment

Grandfather Pittman Hines, France WWII, Died last February.
              Great Uncle, Died on Omaha.
              Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

On Memorial Day, Trump Does Something That Would've Put Obama on Every Front Page

EXCERPT:
                Of course, you wouldn't know that Trump did that if you looked at the top newspapers in the country. In fact, you wouldn't even know that Monday was Memorial Day, or that nearly every town across the United States held a parade to honor America's troops.

The New York Times
                didn't have anything on its front page about Memorial Day. It used a small teaser box at the bottom left corner to tout a story about "a soccer star's farewell to A.S. Roma," whatever that is. Not a word or a picture dedicated to America's military branches and their sacrifice.

The Washington Post
                front page was full of anti-Trump stories, "Serving Intelligence to Trump in Small Bites" and "Budget Would Cut Civil Rights Position," to name a few. And the main art showed a factory in Kentucky, not Trump or America's veterans. The paper, whose new motto is "Democracy Dies in Darkness," did feature one tiny picture at the bottom of the page with a referral to the Metro page for a story about Memorial Day, but no mention or photo of Trump.

Only USA Today, among the country's biggest papers, featured a shot of Trump laying the wreath, with a reference to an inside story and more pictures.

But here's the shot that, had former president Barack Obama done it, would've put him on every front page across the country. Since it was Trump, though, the country's liberal papers decided not to print it.

The boy's name is Christian Jacobs, 6, and he's dressed like a Marine because his father, Marine Sgt. Christopher Jacobs, was killed during a training accident in California in 2011.

A great picture of America's president on Memorial Day. And every newspaper that didn't run it -- for purely partisan reasons -- ought to be ashamed.
                http://www.dailywire.com/news/16972/..._campaign=lead

Comment

Got me ancestors that fought in every US war since before there was a US, all the way back to the French & Indian. Got one ancestor who was a Union surgeon during the Civil War. Founded a sanitarium for TB patients later in the 19th century.

One maternal uncle contracted dysentery in France during WW1. He was a good enough ball player to get himself transferred to a US Army team: beat suffering with the runs in a French trench, at any rate. His advice to me many moons ago was to never volunteer for anything. Looking back, that man was far wiser than I knew in my youth . . . .

His brother-in-law and his brothers, themselves sons of a German immigrant, sailed against the Kaiser for the USN in WW1.

One of their nephews, the last son of the French side of my mother's family, was shot down over French North Africa by Vichy forces. His parents kept his room a a shrine into the early 1970s.

Another maternal uncle flew USMC Corsairs in WW2. How his bird went down I never did learn, but it resulted in third degree burns to his thighs. While recuperating at home, his girlfriend's cat jumped on his lap. He hated cats forever after that -- but he married the girl -- member of the first class of female Marines.

Their eldest son flew A-4s in Vietnam. He told the greatest story, about how he flew into Griffiss AFB to visit his maternal grandfather, a corn and dairy farmer. The image he painted was of a young man in a space-age flight suit, replete with helmet, visor, and mask -- meeting an old man in overalls, sht-kickers and a straw hat.

On the other side, my paternal grandfather rode with the Don Cossacks against the Kaiser. Had to light out of Russia after the Bolsheviks took over. Came to the US and signed on to serve with the Marines in Nicaragua. Got himself commissioned: very rare among immigrants in that era. Served with the 1MARDIV in Guadacanal, New Britain, and Pelelieu. Served with 1MARDIV again in Korea, from Inchon to Chosin.

His older son, my uncle, served in the Dominican Republic in '65.

His younger son, my father, flew H-34s in Vietnam, '67-'68.
                  I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                    Got me ancestors that fought in every US war since before there was a US, all the way back to the French & Indian. Got one ancestor who was a Union surgeon during the Civil War. Founded a sanitarium for TB patients later in the 19th century.

One maternal uncle contracted dysentery in France during WW1. He was a good enough ball player to get himself transferred to a US Army team: beat suffering with the runs in a French trench, at any rate. His advice to me many moons ago was to never volunteer for anything. Looking back, that man was far wiser than I knew in my youth . . . .

His brother-in-law and his brothers, themselves sons of a German immigrant, sailed against the Kaiser for the USN in WW1.

One of their nephews, the last son of the French side of my mother's family, was shot down over French North Africa by Vichy forces. His parents kept his room a a shrine into the early 1970s.

Another maternal uncle flew USMC Corsairs in WW2. How his bird went down I never did learn, but it resulted in third degree burns to his thighs. While recuperating at home, his girlfriend's cat jumped on his lap. He hated cats forever after that -- but he married the girl -- member of the first class of female Marines.

Their eldest son flew A-4s in Vietnam. He told the greatest story, about how he flew into Griffiss AFB to visit his maternal grandfather, a corn and dairy farmer. The image he painted was of a young man in a space-age flight suit, replete with helmet, visor, and mask -- meeting an old man in overalls, sht-kickers and a straw hat.

On the other side, my paternal grandfather rode with the Don Cossacks against the Kaiser. Had to light out of Russia after the Bolsheviks took over. Came to the US and signed on to serve with the Marines in Nicaragua. Got himself commissioned: very rare among immigrants in that era. Served with the 1MARDIV in Guadacanal, New Britain, and Pelelieu. Served with 1MARDIV again in Korea, from Inchon to Chosin.

His older son, my uncle, served in the Dominican Republic in '65.

His younger son, my father, flew H-34s in Vietnam, '67-'68.

Comment

Originally posted by G David Bock View Post
                      On Memorial Day, Trump Does Something That Would've Put Obama on Every Front Page

EXCERPT:
                      Of course, you wouldn't know that Trump did that if you looked at the top newspapers in the country. In fact, you wouldn't even know that Monday was Memorial Day, or that nearly every town across the United States held a parade to honor America's troops.

The New York Times
                      didn't have anything on its front page about Memorial Day. It used a small teaser box at the bottom left corner to tout a story about "a soccer star's farewell to A.S. Roma," whatever that is. Not a word or a picture dedicated to America's military branches and their sacrifice.

The Washington Post
                      front page was full of anti-Trump stories, "Serving Intelligence to Trump in Small Bites" and "Budget Would Cut Civil Rights Position," to name a few. And the main art showed a factory in Kentucky, not Trump or America's veterans. The paper, whose new motto is "Democracy Dies in Darkness," did feature one tiny picture at the bottom of the page with a referral to the Metro page for a story about Memorial Day, but no mention or photo of Trump.

Only USA Today, among the country's biggest papers, featured a shot of Trump laying the wreath, with a reference to an inside story and more pictures.

But here's the shot that, had former president Barack Obama done it, would've put him on every front page across the country. Since it was Trump, though, the country's liberal papers decided not to print it.

The boy's name is Christian Jacobs, 6, and he's dressed like a Marine because his father, Marine Sgt. Christopher Jacobs, was killed during a training accident in California in 2011.

A great picture of America's president on Memorial Day. And every newspaper that didn't run it -- for purely partisan reasons -- ought to be ashamed.
                      http://www.dailywire.com/news/16972/..._campaign=lead
                      I deliberately left the politicians out of this; I will thank you to do the same.
                      Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

Initiated Chief Petty Officer
                      Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!

Comment

Originally posted by Bass_Man86 View Post
                        I deliberately left the politicians out of this; I will thank you to do the same.
                        Didn't realize you own and pay for this forum to exist, such that you can make such demands.

Like it or not, the day is usually a very "political" one, and one that "politicians" will be involved in, like it or not. Your thread title was very 'generic' and provides no indication of any sort of censorship or exclusion applying.

More to the point, note that in the first part of my link excerpts there is mention that most of the Major Left-leaning MSM made little to no mention of Memorial Day in general, let alone of any specific and annual ceremony associated with it, such as at Arlington. Would think this would be of note and concern to you and many others, but since it is the usual lefty-loonie display of disrespect to USA and Veterans, guess you aren't upset at the slight by your comrades in the mainstream press/media.

In the second half of that article excerpt we see a young lad, whose father - a USMC sergant that died in a training accident, was able to rise above partisan politics on that day to embrace the POTUS/C-in-C in mutual honor and respect. In some ways this young lad is more "man" than some of our posters here.

At least DJT gives the appearance of having respect and honor of our service members, past and present. I recall getting something short of that from our prior POTUS and the alternate we could have been stuck with.

BTW, thought you had me on "ignore".

Comment

Why does politic always appear in such threads , in wich you should only honor the memory of the fallen ones and their ultimate sacrifice?
                          You know ,for me , currently enjoying freedom thanks to your deaths,between other countries deaths, that's a bit disappointing , cause ,in my eyes , this is a matter in wich everybody has to join together and cry together.
                          A bit weird ...
                          That rug really tied the room together

Comment

Originally posted by sebfrench76 View Post
                            Why does politic always appear in such threads , in wich you should only honor the memory of the fallen ones and their ultimate sacrifice?
                            You know ,for me , currently enjoying freedom thanks to your deaths,between other countries deaths, that's a bit disappointing , cause ,in my eyes , this is a matter in wich everybody has to join together and cry together.
                            A bit weird ...
                            Isn't it "politics" that usually leads to situations make such sacrifice happen?

You can bet "politics" would have entered had DJT not been at Arlington or given the "respect" some think he should have.

But hey, no double standards in play on this board.
                            Last edited by G David Bock; 01 Jun 17, 15:54.

Comment

Originally posted by G David Bock View Post
                              Didn't realize you own and pay for this forum to exist, such that you can make such demands.

Like it or not, the day is usually a very "political" one, and one that "politicians" will be involved in, like it or not. Your thread title was very 'generic' and provides no indication of any sort of censorship or exclusion applying.

More to the point, note that in the first part of my link excerpts there is mention that most of the Major Left-leaning MSM made little to no mention of Memorial Day in general, let alone of any specific and annual ceremony associated with it, such as at Arlington. Would think this would be of note and concern to you and many others, but since it is the usual lefty-loonie display of disrespect to USA and Veterans, guess you aren't upset at the slight by your comrades in the mainstream press/media.

In the second half of that article excerpt we see a young lad, whose father - a USMC sergant that died in a training accident, was able to rise above partisan politics on that day to embrace the POTUS/C-in-C in mutual honor and respect. In some ways this young lad is more "man" than some of our posters here.

At least DJT gives the appearance of having respect and honor of our service members, past and present. I recall getting something short of that from our prior POTUS and the alternate we could have been stuck with.

BTW, thought you had me on "ignore".
                              Your not on my list but with your post your showing yourself to be a total Jack

What has you new idol done. NADA, Remember his commits about Mc Cain? That from a yellow belly draft dodger, Don The Holster.

Staff, replied to post not the person.
                              "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X