To many Americans, Memorial Day has lost its meaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To many Americans, Memorial Day has lost its meaning

ANNVILLE, Pa. (AP) — Allison Jaslow heard it more than once as the long holiday weekend approached — a cheerful “Happy Memorial Day!” from oblivious well-wishers.

The former Army captain and Iraq War veteran had a ready reply, telling them, matter-of-factly, that she considered it a work weekend. Jaslow will be at Arlington National Cemetery on Monday to take part in the annual wreath-laying ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. She’ll then visit Section 60, the final resting place of many service members who died in Iraq and Afghanistan.

“You can see it in people’s faces that they’re a little horrified that they forget this is what the day’s about,” said Jaslow, 34, who wears a bracelet bearing the name of a fallen comrade. “Culturally, we’ve kind of lost sight of what the day’s supposed to mean.”

While millions of Americans celebrate the long Memorial Day weekend as the unofficial start of summer — think beaches and backyard barbecues, mattress sales and sporting events — some veterans and loved ones of fallen military members wish the holiday that honors more than 1 million people who died serving their country would command more respect.
    https://apnews.com/f810835dad2c4715b...st-its-meaning

But not to all Derek.......

A hearty salute to all that have made the ultimate sacrifice so that we can enjoy a weekend like this in the greatest Nation ever to exist.

ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

that's how humans are
      they usually don't ''care'' or know if they haven't had a relative die in war
      ...Memorial Day was never a big deal for us growing up--even though my dad was at the Chosin...and a lot of my uncles fought in WW2 and Korea--none died
      ...and the families of lost ones probably re-'member' them everyday of the year

Comment

70 years of Pax Americana has made many supposed allies forgetful as well.
        We hunt the hunters

Comment

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
          Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
          At the going down of the sun and in the morning
          We will remember them.

Sleep well, Father.

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

IMO we have lost the meaning of most ALL of our holidays. Thanksgiving is the day Xmas season starts and shop til ya drop.
            "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Xtreme right, my Father on shore leave from LST 987 in 1946, Shanghai, China.

When I found this image of my Father... it was as if my Son had somehow posed for a period photograph...

If you didn't know better, you'd swear that it almost certainly had to be such a photo.

Almost unimaginably, me Fathers vessel yet exists as a converted Hopper Dredge called Columbia

Thank You, Father...

And To All That Served!

God Bless!

Wes
              Last edited by Admiral; 28 May 17, 21:48.
              On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

A salute to all vets and recognition for submariners. Every sub I've toured I try to imagine what it must have bee like being in such a small space with a crowd of other guys while underwater and dodging depth charges. Honor to those who didn't surface.

And thanks to my Dad who worked on his sub "playing hide and seek with Russians" as he described it to three year old me.
                A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Only those that have truly known adversity can appreciate those who dedicated themselves to fighting to preserve our civilization.

70 years of relative peace is meet with little more than glib references to American economic imperialism. Liberal education is wasted on most people.
                  We hunt the hunters

Comment

I thought Memorial Day was a weekend to drink beer, drive, and beat your wife.....while veterans responded to put up with your crap and hear you tell them "I pay your salary".
                    Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

And to many Americans it has not. With 325 million and counting it is hardly surprising to find so many that do care.

Tuebor

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                        IMO we have lost the meaning of most ALL of our holidays. Thanksgiving is the day Xmas season starts and shop til ya drop.
                        Dang John you REALLY have been gone a long time. Labor Day now kicks off the Xmas season. Thanksgiving is just a really long sales weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDog View Post
                          Dang John you REALLY have been gone a long time. Labor Day now kicks off the Xmas season. Thanksgiving is just a really long sales weekend.
                          Well, he thinks kids still deliver newspapers.......
                          ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

The adorable Daliah Lavi, who passed away earlier this month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYDeLyQv5TM

"Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

New Years Day - A day everyone sleeps off there hangover from a night of partying.

Martin Luther King Jr. Day - If you don't observe this holiday your racist.

Memorial Day - Kicks off the summer season with a lot of drinking while kids run around unsupervised.

July 4 - A day we prove how patriotic we are by going out at night to watch pretty colors and hear loud noises in the sky.

Labor Day - A day that honors the workers even though most of those workers still have to work.

Columbus Day - Not sure why Christopher Columbus gets a holiday.

Halloween - Children going around with masks telling people to give them candy or else they will do something bad to them.

Veterans Day - The day we prove how much we appreciate our veterans by sitting down in front of the television and watching hours of war movies.

Thanksgiving Day - Has become more about football than giving thanks. Lets' not forget about Black Friday when people so just how low the human race has sunk.

Christmas - Frank Costanza was right about Christmas being to commercial. Think it's time we bring out the aluminum pole and celebrate Festivus.
                              “When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
                              ― Groucho Marx

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X