Fundamentalist attacks and kills two men on train in Oregon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fundamentalist attacks and kills two men on train in Oregon

An extremist who abuses two women for dressing in a way he found inappropriate attacked three men who went to the women's defence, killing two of them.
    Fundamentalism needs to be countered wherever is it found.
    to three true Americans, two of whom have given their lives in defence of the ideals which made America great.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their
    validity." - Abraham Lincoln.
    "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

Nowhere in the article mentions the perps religion or lack thereof. Also its Oregon, one of most racist states in the Union. Look it up.

I was really shocked when I prospected up there, I thought they'd be all laid back and mellow. They are if your white, If your not I suggest not visiting or staying there. (Rural Oregon to be specific.) You will be harassed at best...
    Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
      Nowhere in the article mentions the perps religion or lack thereof. Also its Oregon, one of most racist states in the Union. Look it up.

I was really shocked when I prospected up there, I thought they'd be all laid back and mellow. They are if your white, If your not I suggest not visiting or staying there. (Rural Oregon to be specific.) You will be harassed at best...
      I didn't say he was a religious fundamentalist.
      "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their
      validity." - Abraham Lincoln.
      "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

Comment

Final act of bravery’: Men who were fatally stabbed trying to stop anti-Muslim rants identified

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.d5f03ea10533

The Portland Mercury, a local newspaper, reported that Christian was a “known right wing extremist and white supremacist” who had attempted to assault protesters at local demonstrations in the past.*Video from April 29,*shot by Mercury reporter Doug Brown, showed Christian arriving at a “March for Free Speech” draped in an American flag and carrying a baseball bat.*While there, Christian yelled to the crowd that he was a “nihilist,” shouted the n-word at people and gave Nazi salutes, Brown reported
        Conservatives in the U.S. won't be happy until Jim Crow returns and "White Heterosexual Only" signs are legalized.

Comment

I knew I read this somewhere...
          Part of what he said to the ladies was:

“He said, ‘Get off the bus, and get out of the country because you don’t pay taxes here,’” Ms. Hernandez told KATU-TV.
          https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/27/u...slim-rant.html

Sound Familiar?
          Conservatives in the U.S. won't be happy until Jim Crow returns and "White Heterosexual Only" signs are legalized.

Comment

Do you mean...GASP!!... that there is no BLM movement up there!!
            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by E.D. Morel View Post
              I didn't say he was a religious fundamentalist.
              Thread title.
              A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateship1982 View Post
                Thread title.
                Operative word is "religious".

Comment

You think he meant atheist fundamentalist?
                  A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Why not? It's possible.
                    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Yet again, another one. Much respect to the brave Americans who stood up to him.
                      "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
                      - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

Really I thought Oregon was all peace and love . Or is that just Portland? Quite liked the look of Portland on a flying visit .

Comment

Originally posted by copenhagen View Post
                          Really I thought Oregon was all peace and love . Or is that just Portland? Quite liked the look of Portland on a flying visit .
                          When I went to a bar in Grants Pass they had clan regalia strewn about the place...

When Oregon was granted statehood in 1859, it was the only state in the Union admitted with a constitution that forbade black people from living, working, or owning property there. It was illegal for black people even to move to the state until 1926. Oregon’s founding is part of the forgotten history of racism in the American west.
                          Waddles Coffee Shop in Portland, Oregon was a popular restaurant in the 1950s for both locals and travelers alike. The drive-in catered to America’s postwar obsession with car culture, allowing people to get coffee and a slice of pie without even leaving their vehicle. But if you happened to be black, the owners of Waddles implored you to keep on driving. The restaurant had a sign outside with a very clear message: “White Trade Only — Please.”
                          It’s the kind of scene from the 1950s that’s so hard for many Americans to imagine happening outside of the Jim Crow South. How could a progressive, northern city like Portland have allowed a restaurant to exclude non-white patrons? This had to be an anomaly, right? In reality it was far too common in Oregon, a state that was explicitly founded as a kind of white utopia.
                          America’s history of racial discrimination is most commonly taught as a southern issue. That’s certainly how I learned about it while going to Minnesota public schools in the 1980s and 90s. White people outside of the South seem to learn about the Civil War and civil rights movements from an incredibly safe (and often judgmental) distance.
                          Racism was generally framed as something that happened in the past and almost always “down there.” We learned about the struggles for racial equality in cities like Birmingham and Selma and Montgomery. But what about the racism of Portland, Oregon, a city that is still overwhelmingly white? The struggles there were just as intense — though they are rarely identified in the history books.
                          According to Oregon’s founding constitution, black people were not permitted to live in the state. And that held true until 1926. The small number of black people already living in the state in 1859, when it was admitted to the Union, were sometimes allowed to stay, but the next century of segregation and terrorism at the hands of angry racists made it clear that they were not welcome.
                          Oregon’s Trail to Whitopia

Cape Horn, Columbia River, Oregon photographed by Carleton Watkins in 1867 (Getty’s Open Content Program)
                          Oregon has had more than its fair share of utopia community experiments. The definitive book on the topic is Eden Within Eden: Oregon’s Utopia Heritage, where you’ll find plenty of those utopian communities catalogued. But the book kind of misses the forest for the trees in not recognizing the fact that the entire state of Oregon was founded as a kind of racist’s utopia. Race isn’t explored in the otherwise excellent book.
                          Thousands would travel to Oregon in the 19th and 20th centuries, looking for their own versions of utopia. Some brave and noble people made the journey that would become cartoonishly immortalized for at least three generations now in the computer game Oregon Trail. But unfortunately for people of color, that pixelated utopia and vision of the promise land was explicitly designed to exclude them in real life.
                          This is not to pick on Oregon in particular as being particularly racist and terrible. The de facto exclusion of any non-white people from a number of businesses, institutions, and communities occurred throughout the Northeast, Midwest, and West. Oregon seems to have been just a bit more vocal and straightforward about it.
                          I spoke over the phone with Walidah Imarisha, an educator and expert on black history in Oregon and she was quick to explain that the state is only really exceptional in that it bothered to proclaim its goals of white supremacy so openly.
                          “What’s useful about Oregon as a case study is that Oregon was bold enough to write it down,” Imarisha told me. “But the same ideology, policies, and practices that shaped Oregon shaped every state in the Union, as well as this nation as a whole.”
                          Today, while 13 percent of Americans are black, just 2 percent of Oregon’s population is black. This is not some accident of history. It’s a product of oppressive laws and everyday actions that deliberately excluded non-white people from a fair shot at living a life without additional obstacles being put in their way.
                          Life’s hard enough as it is. But life as a person of color in Oregon would prove to be like trying to play Oregon Trail in a roomful of Klansmen while the computer lab is on fire.

More here.

http://gizmodo.com/oregon-was-founde...pia-1539567040
                          Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

I think that he was just a loser bigot who hated everyone who wasn't like him, which is 99.99% of the people out there.

Comment

/shrug....any atheists I've met that are determined to make everyone around them know and understand that they are an atheist could easily have been described as a fundamentalist. Very aggressive about it, those were.
                              The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X