Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NJ Emergency Management accidently sends Nuke Power Plant warning to TV's

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NJ Emergency Management accidently sends Nuke Power Plant warning to TV's

    This would jolt you awake if you were dozing while watch some TV in NJ:

    http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...-sends-nuclear


    “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
    “To talk of many things:
    Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
    Of cabbages—and kings—
    And why the sea is boiling hot—
    And whether pigs have wings.”
    ― Lewis Carroll

  • #2
    Ouch!

    Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
    This would jolt you awake if you were dozing while watch some TV in NJ:

    http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...-sends-nuclear


    It's been my experience that SOME Emergency Management authorities in the US are less than forthcoming with info. re: serious plant accidents or incidents involving radioactive releases anyway, either that or their emission standards are much lower than they are in Ontario. Many years ago, Perry NGS on Lake Erie had a fairly serious incident requiring notification of Emergency Measures in Ont. (EMO) re: prevailing winds, lake water etc. EMO monitored then either put out a media release, or the media in Ontario got wind of it - it was Christmas, slow news time. The problem was the Ohio authorities had said nothing about it locally, and then the media in Ohio got wind of it ... the shite hit the fan, the emergency management folk got into a war of words behind the scenes, served them right.
    "I am Groot"
    - Groot

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
      This would jolt you awake if you were dozing while watch some TV in NJ:

      http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...-sends-nuclear


      That's not too far from my sister-in-law . . . .
      I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
        That's not too far from my sister-in-law . . . .
        If I saw it it the first think I wonder about is that they give a start and end time. I'd think: "So was this emergency was scheduled? If the bad stuff does not start by 9:54 everything is OK????" "Something does not smell right."
        “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
        “To talk of many things:
        Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
        Of cabbages—and kings—
        And why the sea is boiling hot—
        And whether pigs have wings.”
        ― Lewis Carroll

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
          If I saw it it the first think I wonder about is that they give a start and end time. I'd think: "So was this emergency was scheduled? If the bad stuff does not start by 9:54 everything is OK????" "Something does not smell right."
          Maybe they figured that if it was a really big "OOPS", after an hour it wouldn't make any difference...

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by johns624 View Post
            Maybe they figured that if it was a really big "OOPS", after an hour it wouldn't make any difference...
            Good point.
            “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
            “To talk of many things:
            Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
            Of cabbages—and kings—
            And why the sea is boiling hot—
            And whether pigs have wings.”
            ― Lewis Carroll

            Comment


            • #7
              Meh...

              These days, when the government tells me something like "High pollution warning" or "the water's unsafe to drink due to a problem" or "there's been a nuclear accident," the first thing I want to know is the details. They seem to never give these.
              That is, they don't tell you squat about what the pollution, water, accident actually is and causes. They just say something like the above. So, I wait until I do finally hear what the details are, or go looking for them. Usually, what I find is the whole thing is utter and complete BS rather than something really a crisis or serious accident. I also usually find that for myself whatever it is, is either not going to affect me or it's easily mitigated by some action I can take.

              I think that's the big "OOPS" here. People don't trust the government to do whatever.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                Meh...

                These days, when the government tells me something like "High pollution warning" or "the water's unsafe to drink due to a problem" or "there's been a nuclear accident," the first thing I want to know is the details. They seem to never give these.
                That is, they don't tell you squat about what the pollution, water, accident actually is and causes. They just say something like the above. So, I wait until I do finally hear what the details are, or go looking for them. Usually, what I find is the whole thing is utter and complete BS rather than something really a crisis or serious accident. I also usually find that for myself whatever it is, is either not going to affect me or it's easily mitigated by some action I can take.

                I think that's the big "OOPS" here. People don't trust the government to do whatever.
                Don't live in Tornado country I see....
                “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
                “To talk of many things:
                Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
                Of cabbages—and kings—
                And why the sea is boiling hot—
                And whether pigs have wings.”
                ― Lewis Carroll

                Comment


                • #9
                  No, TAG's just got ...

                  Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
                  Don't live in Tornado country I see....
                  ... alot of questions ... and even more answers.
                  "I am Groot"
                  - Groot

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I'll bet constipation among the locals vanished overnight!

                    But at least they know the alarm system works.
                    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
                      Don't live in Tornado country I see....
                      If I did, I'd look outside and decide for myself rather than simply take the weather guesser's word for it.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
                        Don't live in Tornado country I see....
                        Well....... When it comes to tornadoes they hit the alarms any time a warning is sounded for the county. Sometimes an alert can be for a storm 40 miles south of me so anytime the sirens go off I check the radar. There are times I have forgone seeking shelter because all the action was south of Columbia. So yeah even in tornado country you follow up on alerts.

                        Granted this is with the benefit of on demand doppler radar.
                        A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Pirateship1982 View Post
                          Well....... When it comes to tornadoes they hit the alarms any time a warning is sounded for the county. Sometimes an alert can be for a storm 40 miles south of me so anytime the sirens go off I check the radar. There are times I have forgone seeking shelter because all the action was south of Columbia. So yeah even in tornado country you follow up on alerts.

                          Granted this is with the benefit of on demand doppler radar.
                          Well, they always say to seek shelter in the basement, and since you already live there...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Pirateship1982 View Post
                            Well....... When it comes to tornadoes they hit the alarms any time a warning is sounded for the county. Sometimes an alert can be for a storm 40 miles south of me so anytime the sirens go off I check the radar. There are times I have forgone seeking shelter because all the action was south of Columbia. So yeah even in tornado country you follow up on alerts.

                            Granted this is with the benefit of on demand doppler radar.
                            And that radar is from the government. The website makes it pretty but the do not have there own Doppler.
                            “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
                            “To talk of many things:
                            Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
                            Of cabbages—and kings—
                            And why the sea is boiling hot—
                            And whether pigs have wings.”
                            ― Lewis Carroll

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                              If I did, I'd look outside and decide for myself rather than simply take the weather guesser's word for it.
                              That actually doesn't work in most parts of tornado country. Mountains, trees, hills, buildings, the horizon, will block your view. Also there is a thing called "rain wrapped." That means the tornado is surrounded by rain to the point that you can't tell it from normal rain clouds/thunderstorms. In most cases, if you don't have access to some kind of radar of weather information to tell you one is coming, you would never see it until it was almost on top of you. You might get 5 or 10 minutes warning.

                              The doppler radar that exists now is pretty good at detecting those things. It can't give you an exact position, nor tell you if it's on the ground. That still requires good old fashioned storm chasers with eyes on target. But the radar will detect the rotation in the atmosphere and follow it all the way down, almost, to the ground. It depends on how far away you are from the radar, and the curvature of the earth, as to how far down in altitude the radar is good for.

                              Back about 1990, I had the privilege of touring the Tulsa National Weather Service office. Which was located on the third floor of a bank building in northeast Tulsa, of all places. Their doppler radar had just gone online like a month before. It was the second place in the country that had a WSR-88 radar. The first one was in Norman Okla, the third was in Bentonville Arkansas. We were all asking, jokingly, if they had picked Bentonville because Sam Walton had agreed to pay for the radar. They had two computers specifically designed to be used with doppler radar called P.U.P.S...I've forgotten what that stands for. Those computers went for $55,000 each...in 1990 dollars. Those things were so good they could tell you the temperature at a certain place just from how the particles in the atmosphere were moving. The weather service guys were all bragging about the fact that they had issued a flash flood warning for Drumright Okla, 48 hours before it started raining...and it did flood there. They could tell how much moisture was in the air, how much more moisture was moving up from the Gulf of Mexico, could then estimate how much moisture would be located in that area in the future, and could see a storm system coming from the northwest using weather satellites. All of that from using a doppler radar.

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X