This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by III Corps View Post
    Obstruction of Justice offers an explanation.
    Trump allegedly said this:

“I hope you can let this go,” the president told Mr. Comey, according to the memo.

I have noted that the MSM isn't quoting this statement but spinning it to "close it down" or variations thereof. (See CNN) ( See also the NYT which had a number of articles that did not contain the quote)

Trump's statement is inappropriate, but probably very far from a criminal act.
    It is not a direction and does not contain any threat if Comey fails to act in a certain way.
    It is more in the nature of a request and does not convey anything more than that.
    Unless there is more information out there, this "scandal" will be more smoke than fire.
    The best evidence of that, so far, is the fact that an actual analysis of what Trump said is missing from so many articles saying he violated the law. Those articles operate from the assumption that this statement was a violation. I am not an expert on Federal law, but this statement, by itself, isn't as awful as portrayed.
    Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post

“I hope you can let this go,” the president told Mr. Comey, according to the memo.

I have noted that the MSM isn't quoting this statement but spinning it to "close it down" or variations thereof. (See CNN) ( See also the NYT which had a number of articles that did not contain the quote)

It is not a direction and does not contain any threat if Comey fails to act in a certain way.
      It is more in the nature of a request and does not convey anything more than that.
      Unless there is more information out there, this "scandal" will be more smoke than fire.
      The best evidence of that, so far, is the fact that an actual analysis of what Trump said is missing from so many articles saying he violated the law. Those articles operate from the assumption that this statement was a violation. I am not an expert on Federal law, but this statement, by itself, isn't as awful as portrayed.
      You know, when the don wants a guy whacked, he never tells his underboss to "kill that guy." The don says, "I'm having this problem that I sure wish would go away . . . . "

Likewise, Pres Trump isn't dim enough to tell the FBI Director to "shut down that investigation." The President instead suggests to the Director, “I hope you can let this go.”

And presidents don't threaten. They don't have to. A president's every utterance is an understood threat. Every time. The wielding of real power -- that kind of power -- tends to transform mere casual speech into a thing of incomparable moment, a thing that mere plebs like you and I have likely never really experienced, and likely never will.
      I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post

It does not need to rise to the level of a criminal violation, not at all. At the least this will suck up another heaping of 'political capital' that he needed to use moving his agenda. At worse the GOP members in Congress get serious about finally looking into him. His comments on maybe having taped Mr Comney at the White House will haunt him in this.

President Trump has been his own worse enemy all along. This is just one more **** Show that the GOP did not need....
        “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
        “To talk of many things:
        Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
        Of cabbages—and kings—
        And why the sea is boiling hot—
        And whether pigs have wings.”
        ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
          Klaudia Tanner
          by casanova
          During a speech by the Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner to the soldiers one soldier fell down. The minister helped him to stand up again. The...
          Yesterday, 23:56
        • Karri
          Doom Patrol
          by Karri
          Anyone else following?

IMO, it's one of the rare good things to come from this whole superhero genre (which is really mostly the same as...
          Yesterday, 23:55
        • Nikki
          Iranian Nuclear Program Setback
          by Nikki
          Iran's nuclear program was at an advanced stage, this had to be done. Israel carried out this mission to buy the world some more time....
          Yesterday, 23:03
        Working...
        X