Sammy Watkins no-shows brother’s bond hearing after signing $1M check

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sammy Watkins no-shows brother’s bond hearing after signing $1M check

According to Levi Ismail of NBC 2, McMiller, Watkins’ brother, is being charged along with 20 others with felony racketeering. Watkins was supposed to attend the hearing, and without him there in person for cross-examination, state attorneys “have doubts if the bail money is clean from gang activity.”
    “It’s really up to the satisfaction of the court whether or not the court is satisfied that these funds are free and clear of any illicit conduct,” said James Miller, assistant state attorney.
    Both McMiller and his father swore under oath that the bail money is legitimate, with both saying it comes from the NFL.
    Mike McQuagge, who represents athletes through his McQuagge Law Firm, has a hard time believing the state attorneys doubt the legitimacy of Watkins’ money.
    “I know he’s staying with the Bills through the 2017 season and he got a $12 million signing bonus. So Sammy is well funded,” McQuagge said.
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/...cid=spartandhp

I wonder if this would still be the case if it was Tom Brady brother.

Hell if I was Watkins I would be suing for damages since they hurt my potential to commercial deals by suggesting I criminal.

So I think this is Judicial or prosecutorial over reach.

I tend to agree that the state in this case is nit picking. Hell, there are plenty of licensed bail agents who are up to their eyeballs in gang activity.....they lose their license when they get caught, but it takes a while if they're circumspect.

Questioning the source of the money is something that is seen very rarely. And honestly, it doesn't give me a good taste about the prosecution's case if they're grandstanding like this.
    Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
      I tend to agree that the state in this case is nit picking. Hell, there are plenty of licensed bail agents who are up to their eyeballs in gang activity.....they lose their license when they get caught, but it takes a while if they're circumspect.

Questioning the source of the money is something that is seen very rarely. And honestly, it doesn't give me a good taste about the prosecution's case if they're grandstanding like this.
      if it was maybe a no name nfl player making league minimum I could see it but when it one of big name guys

Comment

Darn when I first read the link I was hoping it was not our Sammy...

Sammy Watkins is guy I love to watch play football...he should have been at his brothers hearing!
        Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
        Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

Originally posted by craven View Post

Hell if I was Watkins I would be suing for damages since they hurt my potential to commercial deals by suggesting I criminal.

To your points,

state attorneys “have doubts if the bail money is clean from gang activity.”

Yay that is pretty much absurd...Poorly done job by the state attorneys . ^

George S Patton

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall_Jack View Post
            Darn when I first read the link I was hoping it was not our Sammy...

Sammy Watkins is guy I love to watch play football...he should have been at his brothers hearing!
            on the other hand I am not sure I would show up kind of insulting.

I mean Sammy probally made over 30 mill easy since coming into the league

Comment

on the other hand I am not sure I would show up kind of insulting.

I mean Sammy probally made over 30 mill easy since coming into the league
              Yes I hear what your saying. I agree with you. My thing was that perhaps Sammy just should have showed up in court to support his brother but its probably an overlook on my part.

George S Patton

Comment

This isn't news ...

... to the accused, his defense, or Watkins, the question was brought up at the original Bail Hearing; check the date, and the ruling:

Native NFL star to pay Lee County brother's $1M bond

Posted: Feb 27, 2017
                LEE COUNTY, Fla.
                -

A Lee County native turned NFL player is expected to pay his brother's bond after he was arrested and charged with racketeering and conspiracy for accusations he's involved with the Lee County gang, the Lake Boyz.

In a hearing on Monday afternoon, defense attorney Donald Day asked the judge for bond reduction for his client, Jari McMiller, facing up to life in prison after he was accused of being gang affiliated and committing violent crimes along with other gang members.

The judge denied the motion to reduce the bond and kept the provision that should McMiller have money to pay the $1 million bond, a hearing would be required to determine how McMiller is getting the money.

In Monday's hearing, the defense offered McMiller's father as a witness. He announced in court that McMiller's brother, Buffalo Bills wide receiver Sammy Watkins, would pay the bond for the family.

The defense also presented a document signed by Sammy Watkins saying he was prepared to pay the money to get McMiller out of jail while he waits for trial.

During the hearing, the state argued to the judge that a witness and signed document does not allow the state to question Watkins about how he's getting the money.

The defense presented their argument that state law allows for Nebia hearings that offer sworn information on where the money comes from, but said there are no standards set or requirements because that type of hearing is not necessary for state proceedings.

"There is nothing at all to support the proposition in state court that a criminal defendant can be detained pending some kind of Nebia hearing," Donald Day told the judge. "There's no provision at all in Florida."

"The state simply asks we have a hearing with actual witnesses who are going to post the money to inquire into the source, so we know it's not the racketeering enterprise," Assistant State Attorney Bob Lee argued.

The judge ordered that the defense requests a Nebia hearing once the bond is posted, but he did not indicate whether it would be required that Sammy Watkins be present at that hearing.
                Apparently the Judge later determined that Sammy Watkins would be required to attend the hearing. So it's not just another case of the Buffalo Bills kicking wide right in Florida!

http://www.nbc-2.com/story/34617417/...others-1m-bond
                "I am Groot"
                - Groot

Comment

With the charge of racketeering you can count of auditors and cash origin challenges at every step of the process.

His lawyer better get on top of it fast, because the Feds will start circling the blood in the water, and they are great whites when it comes to asset forfeiture.
                  Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Sammy Watkins did not sign a million dollar cheque, he only paid 10% which comes out to a mere $100K. It's even more ludicrous to suggest he can't afford that!
                    "Never argue with an idiot. They'll just drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Reimnitz View Post
                      Sammy Watkins did not sign a million dollar cheque, he only paid 10% which comes out to a mere $100K. It's even more ludicrous to suggest he can't afford that!
                      Not in this case. He didn't go through a bondsman.

So it is in fact a million bucks.

Bonds also do not always charge 10%. Frequently it is more.
                      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Marmat View Post
                        ... to the accused, his defense, or Watkins, the question was brought up at the original Bail Hearing; check the date, and the ruling:

Apparently the Judge later determined that Sammy Watkins would be required to attend the hearing. So it's not just another case of the Buffalo Bills kicking wide right in Florida!

http://www.nbc-2.com/story/34617417/...others-1m-bond
                        your comments failed to move the conversation forward. everything you said is assumed and factual.

So back to the question is this normal or judicial overreach and do you see the same standard being applied to Tom Brady.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                          With the charge of racketeering you can count of auditors and cash origin challenges at every step of the process.

His lawyer better get on top of it fast, because the Feds will start circling the blood in the water, and they are great whites when it comes to asset forfeiture.
                          I get what they are doing and can understand that to a degree but asking a guy who publicly gets paid where he gets his millions is a WTF.

If it was me they were asking sure go ahead because he the fact that I make millions of dollars is not public knowledge. (ok I am waking up from that dream now)

Comment

Ah, but ...

your comments failed to move the conversation forward. everything you said is assumed and factual.

So back to the question is this normal or judicial overreach and do you see the same standard being applied to Tom Brady.
                            ... that isn't the proper question. The question should be, do I see the same standard being applied to Tom Brady's brother, "arrested and charged with racketeering and conspiracy for accusations he's involved with the Lee County gang, the Lake Boyz"? I think it may be assumed and factual to say the Judge in Lee County FL would likewise be inclined to maintain the same judicial standards, i.e. "a hearing would be required to determine how '... Brady' (of the Lake Boyz) is getting the money". Requesting with notice, a "pride of Fort Myers/San Mateo" football star to return to his hometown (IF he has off-season/wintered elsewhere) to assist justice authorities, his brother, and himself, shouldn't be considered unduly arduous.

I don't think you fully appreciate the situation and purpose of the hearing. Given the nature of the allegations, and the investigation against the accused, it's in Watkins/Brady's best interest to attend the hearing and submit to any questions the DA/Judge may pose. If the state intends to pursue recovery of assets obtained by crime, and I have little doubt here that is the case, then Watkins/Brady want to ensure on court record, that any personal money's put forward on behalf of kin, are kept separate and NOT subject to further investigation and recovery by the state, in any manner. Future earnings by way of name, endorsement, and brand are not within the Judge's purview.
                            "I am Groot"
                            - Groot

Comment

if it was maybe a no name nfl player making league minimum I could see it but when it one of big name guys
                              The "big names"e often the worst of all because they believe themselves to be untouchable.

He's accused of racketeering, a very serious charge that I will let the courts handle rather than it being tried in the Lame Stream Media.
                              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X