Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Trump Cultural Divide

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Trump Cultural Divide

    I gather most of us have now seen the CBS interview where Trump sits down and pouts because he is unable to defend himself or effectively shut down basic questions.



    After watching the interview on YouTube, I noticed that there were several versions of it posted by Trump fans who see the interview as some sort of victory and are happy with Trump's performance. This is a truly fascinating example of the intense divide between Chump fans and everyone else. They can both look at the same event and both see it as vindication.

    Part of the problem is self-imposed since just like with the "Birther" issue Trump seems clueless on how to effectively side-step a tough question or partially concede or obscure if he wants to adopts a pointless and foolish position. The other part is just plain ignorance. Take any Republican member of Congress at random and they would have been able to handle this interview better.

  • #2
    Originally posted by lynelhutz View Post
    I gather most of us have now seen the CBS interview where Trump sits down and pouts because he is unable to defend himself or effectively shut down basic questions.



    After watching the interview on YouTube, I noticed that there were several versions of it posted by Trump fans who see the interview as some sort of victory and are happy with Trump's performance. This is a truly fascinating example of the intense divide between Chump fans and everyone else. They can both look at the same event and both see it as vindication.

    Part of the problem is self-imposed since just like with the "Birther" issue Trump seems clueless on how to effectively side-step a tough question or partially concede or obscure if he wants to adopts a pointless and foolish position. The other part is just plain ignorance. Take any Republican member of Congress at random and they would have been able to handle this interview better.
    Dealing with hardcore chump supporters is like dealing with cult members (think Scientology); there is nothing that anyone can say that would diminish the chump's stature in their eyes.
    Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

    Initiated Chief Petty Officer
    Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Bass_Man86 View Post
      Dealing with hardcore chump supporters is like dealing with cult members (think Scientology); there is nothing that anyone can say that would diminish the chump's stature in their eyes.
      Dealing with America-hating liberals is much like dealing with terrorists.

      Except that terrorists are willing to stand up and fight.
      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
        Dealing with America-hating liberals is much like dealing with terrorists.

        Except that terrorists are willing to stand up and fight.
        Great at waving the flag but bad at facts. Chump is the one who failed to "stand-up and fight". In this case, he literally sat down.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
          Dealing with America-hating liberals is much like dealing with terrorists.

          Except that terrorists are willing to stand up and fight.
          Well deputy Barney, this "America hating liberal" happens to be a 23 year veteran of the U.S. Navy; a branch of the service that you like to disparage despite the fact that you never served yourself. I participated in operations Desert Shield/Storm, Southern Watch, Desert Fox, Enduring Freedom and Atalanta and a few other odds and ends that I frankly have trouble recalling, never mind the fact that I have been to places on God's green earth that most people have never heard of. I have earned my Constitutionally given right to question and disagree with the chump administration whether you like it or not, and I frankly do not care if you don't like it. And by the way deputy, I received imminent danger pay in my pay for months at a time. Who the hell do you think you are to question my patriotism? I will fight to the death to safeguard your right to disagree with me. Do try to understand that I have a right to disagree with you, it really is not a very difficult concept to grasp.
          Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

          Initiated Chief Petty Officer
          Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!

          Comment


          • #6
            Deputy Barney likes to take cheap shots, call people with whom he doesn't agree names, and generally act like a bully.

            And that's easy to do from behind the relative safety of a keyboard.

            I very much doubt he would do so face to face or when personally confronted with his behavior. Like Trump, he would just run away.
            We are not now that strength which in old days
            Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
            Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
            To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Bass_Man86 View Post
              Well deputy Barney, this "America hating liberal" happens to be a 23 year veteran of the U.S. Navy; a branch of the service that you like to disparage despite the fact that you never served yourself. I participated in operations Desert Shield/Storm, Southern Watch, Desert Fox, Enduring Freedom and Atalanta and a few other odds and ends that I frankly have trouble recalling, never mind the fact that I have been to places on God's green earth that most people have never heard of. I have earned my Constitutionally given right to question and disagree with the chump administration whether you like it or not, and I frankly do not care if you don't like it. And by the way deputy, I received imminent danger pay in my pay for months at a time. Who the hell do you think you are to question my patriotism? I will fight to the death to safeguard your right to disagree with me. Do try to understand that I have a right to disagree with you, it really is not a very difficult concept to grasp.
              Then you in turn need to realize that other military veterans like myself don't agree with some of your positions, and you must, in turn, accept that fact yourself. My rights are bought and paid for just like yours, and go all the way back to the Civil war.
              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

              Comment


              • #8
                There's a difference between disagreeing with someone vs. claiming someone to be an America-hating liberal.
                "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return"

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                  Dealing with America-hating liberals is much like dealing with terrorists.

                  Except that terrorists are willing to stand up and fight.
                  Er...terrorists don't stand up and fight. Terrorists usually bomb innocent civilians, while trying to escape incognito where possible.

                  Total bollocks.
                  How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                  Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by lynelhutz View Post
                    Great at waving the flag but bad at facts. Chump is the one who failed to "stand-up and fight". In this case, he literally sat down.
                    Astounding that this sorry excuse for a man runs away in his own office from questions he can't handle. A few weeks ago he left the office because he didn't like the question he was being asked. What a coward. One of many reasons that this man is no worthy of the office he fell into.
                    John

                    Play La Marseillaise. Play it!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                      Dealing with America-hating liberals is much like dealing with terrorists.

                      Except that terrorists are willing to stand up and fight.

                      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by JBark View Post
                        Astounding that this sorry excuse for a man runs away in his own office from questions he can't handle. A few weeks ago he left the office because he didn't like the question he was being asked. What a coward. One of many reasons that this man is no worthy of the office he fell into.
                        Let's talk about your government for a change, shall we?
                        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          Let's talk about your government for a change, shall we?
                          By all means, feel free to launch a start different thread. Or would that defeat the purpose of a transparently thin deflection away from Chump?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Bass_Man86
                            I have earned my Constitutionally given right to question and disagree
                            No, my friend, you have that right quite simply & as nothing more than just being a citizen of the United States of America. Unless you immigrated, you had that right the moment you took your 1st breath & let forth a mighty wail. As to anything else (and I personally know that you did a great deal more than a great many) you deserve the high respects & gratitudes of a grateful nation that went with your naval service to your country to guarantee said right was not taken or impinged by a foreign enemy - & my respects stand greatest for all that ever have & do serve in such similar manner. But the insulting jabs thrown all around in all directions by many in these discussions falls flat on its face with the 'earned the right' logic when said right is endemic to ALL American citizens - no earning required. To say that you 'paid the price that guarantees that right' would be much more accurate & dignified, IMO. Also, IMO, when people that actually protect our rights, our persons & property now... on the streets, in the neighborhoods & throughout this country itself are insultingly looked down upon & castigated just because they 'didn't serve' it lessens & diminishes all of us, veterans & serving military/naval peeps, too.

                            Mario, you have & will always have my greatest respect for your service, and you know it, but that don't mean that your right to disagree is any greater than mine or anybody else's. It don't make your opinion any more or less valid than mine when it comes to domestic political or social issues endemic to us all. We each are either right, or we are wrong on many issues & that's just the simple fact & way of it.


                            _________________________________________

                            In completely unrelated news...

                            I may be retired - and quite happily so - but I'm gonna hazard a premonition that all the personal insults flyin around in every direction lately had better cease toot-sweet or the bloody mess in the Mangy Mutts wake is gonna be seriously SICK, I suspect!

                            Last edited by Admiral; 05 May 17, 18:20.
                            On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

                            ACG History Today

                            BoRG

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Nick the Noodle
                              Er...terrorists don't stand up and fight. Terrorists usually bomb innocent civilians, while trying to escape incognito where possible.
                              (Emphasis mine)

                              Some terrorists very much do stand & fight... but I generally agree with the sentiment of "bollocks"... just not "total"

                              On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

                              ACG History Today

                              BoRG

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X