You asked, you received.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Karri View Post
    Rimmer, things really aren't that hard for everyone. I mean, this thread has been very telling of you; you think that everything you do is hard and something that not everyone can do, something that makes you special, and so forth and so forth. But it ain't.

I do what I want and you do what you can.
    K, you can't do it. You're a quitter, a guy who scrapes by without contributing anything, without having any meaning or purpose, without meeting more than the minimum standard.

That sort of personality simply can't cut it, the same way you could never make the standard of many career fields.

That is why it is so amusing to watch you blather on. You're like a four-year-old who wants to be a cowboy, a fireman, a doctor: you have no grasp on what those careers mean or require. They're just words to you.
    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
      K, you can't do it. You're a quitter, a guy who scrapes by without contributing anything, without having any meaning or purpose, without meeting more than the minimum standard.

That sort of personality simply can't cut it, the same way you could never make the standard of many career fields.

That is why it is so amusing to watch you blather on. You're like a four-year-old who wants to be a cowboy, a fireman, a doctor: you have no grasp on what those careers mean or require. They're just words to you.

It must be really hard for your self-esteem that someone just wings it, does it better than you, and still doesn't consider himself anything more than a slacker and a loser. Hell, I do things the hard way just because there's no challenge in doing them any other way.

I give you a little crumb of mercy though, there is something that I can't do anything about. I can never beat my fear of heights and the vertigo that accompanies it. I mean, as soon as I even see someone go near the edge I start sweating.

Funny thing also, I had a friend who aced everything in the exam to become a fireman, but didn't get to become one because he went to vocational school instead of high school. But, but...for little men who think too much about themselves these things are of course something that no one else can do.

Now, so that you can finally stop thinking too much about yourself and put your money where your mouth is why don't you come up with a bet of some sort. Like I said, I might pop into Austin in a month or so. I think there are some people here who don't believe you to be a real officer either, so it would be like two birds with one stone.
      Last edited by Karri; 09 May 17, 19:23.
      Wisdom is personal

Comment

Semantics; there are people who can't breathe or eat on their own. Doesn't make you special if you can. Same applies to 'high risk/dynamic situation jobs '. What is impressive or special about doing something that you can do?
        Fascinating. Considering that there are a wide range of professions that are paid simply because they do things that they can do as a matter of routine.....things which others are wholly incapable of doing even with professional help (and the possible addition of performance enhancing drugs in the case of athletes).

Anyway, since I was stuck working Saturday night, and had training Monday and Today, I didn't get into an answer about why officers swapping agencies like they swap dance partners is a bad thing.

And Saturday night turned into a perfect case in point of a lot of things, including experience.

I was responding to a shots fired call.....utter routine in my rural section of the county. 99.9 percent of the time total BS, or legal if ill advised (it's after 10pm) target shooting.

Now, to explain some things about the Mobile Data Terminal, you can see what every unit currently working is doing if they're on a call or a self-initiated activity (traffic stop, business check, etc.). If you've been dispatched to a call, there's a map with the address, and the address is pretty much perfectly accurate, down to the length of the driveway in some cases, as it's pulled from the engineering documents in the county office. If you weren't dispatched to something, you can type in an address and the map will come up. If you weren't dispatched and you don't have an address to type, you're on your own. Also, to note, I've got a bit under 10 years experience.

So, I'm on my way to this call of shots fired or racing, caller isn't sure. Not in my usual area, I'm covering some gaps in another shift. So a rookie wouldn't be expected to have that great of a knowledge, just some basics. As a training officer, I'd say that it would take anywhere from 2-5 years to learn the road network of your area AND all neighboring areas.

Anywho, I get flagged down, in the middle of nowhere at this little store, by a guy running down the middle of the road around 1030. He points out a car speeding away and advises me of a hit and run that just occurred. Naturally, I take off after the offender, takes me nearly 5 miles at over 100mph to walk him down. When I get behind him we're doing 90. Call in the attempt at a traffic stop, and then call in the chase.

Now, if you've ever watched a car chase in the dark on back roads, it looks like an adrenaline rush. And it is. In the moment it's one of the scariest things you can do....and afterwards you have the biggest adrenaline high, followed by the biggest migraine. So, as primary (and only) unit in a pursuit, you're running the radio, driving the car at speeds that DOT and common sense say are ludicrous for the road conditions, and you're hoping you don't hit a deer, hit something you can't see,and so forth. And you have to be calm the whole time and remember every single sharp turn about 300m in advance or you will screw it up.

So, we're doing a decent clip on this twisty road, chase speeds for this pursuit ranged from 90-110. And we're passing back roads, and making turns, and generally heading farther and farther from my typical patrol area. And you can't read the road signs, because in the dark, at those speeds, you couldn't see them anyway, and can't read at those speeds.

But I'm calling out speeds, cross streets, vehicle tag, and playing air traffic controller as I assist units vectoring in to join the pursuit or deploy stop sticks/PIT, all the while carrying on a conversation with the shift supervisor about the road/traffic conditions, reason for stop, and so forth.

And then, he wrecks. Badly. Pinned in, vehicle on fire. I get stopped safely in the debris field, get out, clear the vehicle to make sure there aren't any threats, rip the door open, cut the belt, and drag the offender out of the car before he burns to death and making sure he doesn't look like he's going to expire before EMS arrives.....oh yeah, and keeping him under control since he's trying to crawl away, right into a ditch.

After that it was getting him on the ambulance, and the rest of it is just paperwork and warrants. I've got some follow ups as he likely committed a couple of offenses worse than hit and run before he ran.

I detail all that just to say this, and as a matter of fact, not pride. I couldn't have done that pursuit like I did my rookie year (I aught to know, I HAD a pursuit my rookie year, in field training no less). I couldn't have called all of those cross streets at 5 years in. I'd have known roughly where I was, but not calling the point of impact to within a quarter mile while bailing out of my car. That's just one type of incident, and one that really just needs maturity and an excellent recall of the road network to include which roads stop at intersections and the nature of the curves. But it does serve as an example of one of the dozens of skillsets that serving an agency for a significant length of time develops, skillsets which will be lacking in someone that switches agencies regularly.
        Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
          Fascinating. Considering that there are a wide range of professions that are paid simply because they do things that they can do as a matter of routine.....things which others are wholly incapable of doing even with professional help (and the possible addition of performance enhancing drugs in the case of athletes).

Anyway, since I was stuck working Saturday night, and had training Monday and Today, I didn't get into an answer about why officers swapping agencies like they swap dance partners is a bad thing.

And Saturday night turned into a perfect case in point of a lot of things, including experience.

I was responding to a shots fired call.....utter routine in my rural section of the county. 99.9 percent of the time total BS, or legal if ill advised (it's after 10pm) target shooting.

Now, to explain some things about the Mobile Data Terminal, you can see what every unit currently working is doing if they're on a call or a self-initiated activity (traffic stop, business check, etc.). If you've been dispatched to a call, there's a map with the address, and the address is pretty much perfectly accurate, down to the length of the driveway in some cases, as it's pulled from the engineering documents in the county office. If you weren't dispatched to something, you can type in an address and the map will come up. If you weren't dispatched and you don't have an address to type, you're on your own. Also, to note, I've got a bit under 10 years experience.

So, I'm on my way to this call of shots fired or racing, caller isn't sure. Not in my usual area, I'm covering some gaps in another shift. So a rookie wouldn't be expected to have that great of a knowledge, just some basics. As a training officer, I'd say that it would take anywhere from 2-5 years to learn the road network of your area AND all neighboring areas.

Anywho, I get flagged down, in the middle of nowhere at this little store, by a guy running down the middle of the road around 1030. He points out a car speeding away and advises me of a hit and run that just occurred. Naturally, I take off after the offender, takes me nearly 5 miles at over 100mph to walk him down. When I get behind him we're doing 90. Call in the attempt at a traffic stop, and then call in the chase.

Now, if you've ever watched a car chase in the dark on back roads, it looks like an adrenaline rush. And it is. In the moment it's one of the scariest things you can do....and afterwards you have the biggest adrenaline high, followed by the biggest migraine. So, as primary (and only) unit in a pursuit, you're running the radio, driving the car at speeds that DOT and common sense say are ludicrous for the road conditions, and you're hoping you don't hit a deer, hit something you can't see,and so forth. And you have to be calm the whole time and remember every single sharp turn about 300m in advance or you will screw it up.

So, we're doing a decent clip on this twisty road, chase speeds for this pursuit ranged from 90-110. And we're passing back roads, and making turns, and generally heading farther and farther from my typical patrol area. And you can't read the road signs, because in the dark, at those speeds, you couldn't see them anyway, and can't read at those speeds.

But I'm calling out speeds, cross streets, vehicle tag, and playing air traffic controller as I assist units vectoring in to join the pursuit or deploy stop sticks/PIT, all the while carrying on a conversation with the shift supervisor about the road/traffic conditions, reason for stop, and so forth.

And then, he wrecks. Badly. Pinned in, vehicle on fire. I get stopped safely in the debris field, get out, clear the vehicle to make sure there aren't any threats, rip the door open, cut the belt, and drag the offender out of the car before he burns to death and making sure he doesn't look like he's going to expire before EMS arrives.....oh yeah, and keeping him under control since he's trying to crawl away, right into a ditch.

After that it was getting him on the ambulance, and the rest of it is just paperwork and warrants. I've got some follow ups as he likely committed a couple of offenses worse than hit and run before he ran.

I detail all that just to say this, and as a matter of fact, not pride. I couldn't have done that pursuit like I did my rookie year (I aught to know, I HAD a pursuit my rookie year, in field training no less). I couldn't have called all of those cross streets at 5 years in. I'd have known roughly where I was, but not calling the point of impact to within a quarter mile while bailing out of my car. That's just one type of incident, and one that really just needs maturity and an excellent recall of the road network to include which roads stop at intersections and the nature of the curves. But it does serve as an example of one of the dozens of skillsets that serving an agency for a significant length of time develops, skillsets which will be lacking in someone that switches agencies regularly.
          I have to say chasing someone in my neck of the woods would be especially challenging. If your not used to the mountain roads your gonna crash your car. I can motor about without touching my brakes once at a reasonable speed. To speed about is courting a deer in the windshield at best...

Btw I just got notified that my car insurance was going to go up by five thousand dollars for this year by AAA! This was due to reported claims against me. I haven't had a accident in the last decade.

I called the city cops and got referred to the sheriffs who referred me to the city web site. (Shades of VA care...) Got any solutions???

I filed a Identity Theft report there but its quite worrisome that some jackass may be using my identity to commit fraud...
          Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Everyone who is good at their job does it as a matter of routine. It is simply because they know what they are doing. It takes time and experience to build that routine and knowledge, not melon sized balls, love of violence and godlike ego like Arnold here is suggesting. Most people can do most things by simply following this pattern; and in fact that is what they are doing. Not that they all excel, but usually it is at least enough to do an adequate job.

Sorry, had to snip the wall of text here, interesting read though

I was once riding along with my friend who used to be a truck driver. There was a fog so thick that we could hardly see few meters in front of the car, and while I was shitting myself from fear he was casually driving something like a 100km/h by just checking the GPS to know where the road went(and I am sure other things that I do not know how to check or take into account).

And so to return to my original post: society and economy simply doesn't really work like this anymore, which is probably why there is a decrease in good candidates. I would never argue that it is a good thing that people are swapping jobs now all the time, it is simply how society, economy and so forth have made things to be. We are all replaceable cogs in a machine with no to little value. For example my grandfather worked his whole life for the Finnish railroads, my mother will soon retire from the same company as well. My brother on the other hand was fired(and they subsequently tried to re-hire him with less pay and worse contract), and switches jobs every few years. It's not because he sucks at his job, or is a slacker(on the contrary), it's because that's how it works now. You are not investing time on your skills, you are selling your time to highest bidder.

My only real interest is writing. I am good at it because I've been writing and reading for my whole life. That doesn't mean I couldn't be good at other things, or that someone else wouldn't be as good as me at this thing. Or that everyone else is a loser since they don't know how to do what I do.

When I was younger I thought hard work and dedication would pay off; it didn't. Not with money, career or anything else like that. It does pay off for yourself(which is why I've taken the road I've taken), but for the larger picture it simply doesn't seem to matter anymore(dunno if it ever did, but at least not anymore). So when you hear people talk about "calling" you know they only care about hiring you for cheap.
            Last edited by Karri; 09 May 17, 20:58.
            Wisdom is personal

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
              I have to say chasing someone in my neck of the woods would be especially challenging. If your not used to the mountain roads your gonna crash your car. I can motor about without touching my brakes once at a reasonable speed. To speed about is courting a deer in the windshield at best...

Btw I just got notified that my car insurance was going to go up by five thousand dollars for this year by AAA! This was due to reported claims against me. I haven't had a accident in the last decade.

I called the city cops and got referred to the sheriffs who referred me to the city web site. (Shades of VA care...) Got any solutions???

I filed a Identity Theft report there but its quite worrisome that some jackass may be using my identity to commit fraud...
              Agreed....seems that you have a case of Identity Theft or something similar going on. You might want to take your case number for identity theft and send it to your DMV and dispute the accidents. You also might want to check with the locals to see if you have any tickets that were issued to the offender.

Comment

Agreed....seems that you have a case of Identity Theft or something similar going on. You might want to take your case number for identity theft and send it to your DMV and dispute the accidents. You also might want to check with the locals to see if you have any tickets that were issued to the offender.
                Thanks, I will do so. I'm perplexed that jurisdiction is a issue here. I live in the country and so it should be the sheriffs jurisdiction, yet they refer me to the city...

I just hope they can sort this out, and catch the miscreant.
                Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

All depends on where the crime occurred.

Comment

It must be really hard for your self-esteem that someone just wings it, does it better than you, and still doesn't consider himself anything more than a slacker and a loser. Hell, I do things the hard way just because there's no challenge in doing them any other way.

Hard things? What hard things? You're a slacker who does nothing. You couldn't even finish school. You quit things, K.

I give you a little crumb of mercy though, there is something that I can't do anything about. I can never beat my fear of heights and the vertigo that accompanies it. I mean, as soon as I even see someone go near the edge I start sweating.

Funny thing also, I had a friend who aced everything in the exam to become a fireman, but didn't get to become one because he went to vocational school instead of high school. But, but...for little men who think too much about themselves these things are of course something that no one else can do.

Now, so that you can finally stop thinking too much about yourself and put your money where your mouth is why don't you come up with a bet of some sort. Like I said, I might pop into Austin in a month or so. I think there are some people here who don't believe you to be a real officer either, so it would be like two birds with one stone.

I don't live in Austin, and while I do feel sorry for you, K, that doesn't extend to driving to meet you; I've met slackers before. I have met people from this board in person, but only those I respect. You I only...well, I was going to say pity, but I really can't apply that. I cheer for you the way you cheer for a toad caught in heavy traffic: its fun, but in the end the outcome doesn't matter either way.
                    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

You know, upon reflection it would be fun to interact, K. PM me your full name and your arriving flight.

Comment

Mr Rimmer is back with his John Holmes argument
                        "try to beat this one podna' " !
                        That rug really tied the room together

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                          You know, upon reflection it would be fun to interact, K. PM me your full name and your arriving flight.
                          I have nothing booked yet, so it kinda depends how much time I spend here annoying you and how much time I spend working this month. Also, not quite sure of the visa requirements, gotta phone the embassy today to sort that out as well as some marriage stuff. I'll let you know when I know, would really love to finally see USA.
                          Wisdom is personal

Comment

I have nothing booked yet, so it kinda depends how much time I spend here annoying you and how much time I spend working this month. Also, not quite sure of the visa requirements, gotta phone the embassy today to sort that out as well as some marriage stuff. I'll let you know when I know, would really love to finally see USA.
                            It will certainly be an education.

You've yet to annoy me, K; nothing much does.

Years of hauling cursing drunks to jail leaves one with a thick skin.

And a deep sensitivity to the plight of large black dogs...

I've said it countless times: if you cannot find humor in the suffering of others, police work is not for you. Or any emergency service.

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post

AAA should have a record of what vehicle the claim was filed for, and that should reveal the true ID of the troublemaker.

OTH - USAA has raised the insurance rates for the entire nation because of costs associated with high risk areas. Sound familiar? "Re-distribution of wealth"?

Problen is, my fixed income doesn't come with raises.
                              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X