A Lesson in Civil Discourse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Lesson in Civil Discourse

All of us should take heed of this article by Jay Ambrose. If we actually did, the forum would be a much better place. For one thing, disagreement wouldn't bring negative commentary and some of the vicious personal attacks that are much too prevalent here:

http://www.crescent-news.com/opinion...01c72a757.html
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
    Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
    To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

I have heard of Ambrose, he is an intelligent man.

In conversation I try to avoid using terms like "you" when I am in disagreement with another person. I substitue "you" with "one".

For example in responding to a critic of the US gov I would for example say one should note the fact that the USA has some of the most tolerate laws on planet Earth. This would be a better approach than for example suggesting to a critic of the US gov "oh you are wrong".
    Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
    Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

Oh... Now this is a problem!

What about MSNBC? Chris Matthews? Keith Obermann? Ed Schultz? That's just three of many ranting heads on Progressive Left leaning news shows that regularly went on all sorts of rants against things the disapproved of or wanted.

Ed Schultz on his MSNBC show, as well as on his radio show, has advocated repeatedly for voter fraud.

Candi Crowley of CNN didn't get fired for injecting herself in a horribly inappropriate and public way into a presidential debate. In fact, she was promoted.

The Progressive radio talk host Randi Rhodes has been tossed of the air by the FCC more than once, and she was investigated by the Secret Service for threats against a sitting President (Bush jr). Yet, she's still on the air and celebrated by the Left.

The problem isn't one guy on FOX that's a blow hard. Sure, the Right has their share of these but they're not as outrageous or outlandish as those on the Left. The Right and Center have a moral compass. That's why FOX got rid of O'Reilly. The Left doesn't. Theirs swings wilder than Captain Jack Sparrow's.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
        Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

What about MSNBC? Chris Matthews? Keith Obermann? Ed Schultz? That's just three of many ranting heads on Progressive Left leaning news shows that regularly went on all sorts of rants against things the disapproved of or wanted.

Ed Schultz on his MSNBC show, as well as on his radio show, has advocated repeatedly for voter fraud.

Candi Crowley of CNN didn't get fired for injecting herself in a horribly inappropriate and public way into a presidential debate. In fact, she was promoted.

The Progressive radio talk host Randi Rhodes has been tossed of the air by the FCC more than once, and she was investigated by the Secret Service for threats against a sitting President (Bush jr). Yet, she's still on the air and celebrated by the Left.

The problem isn't one guy on FOX that's a blow hard. Sure, the Right has their share of these but they're not as outrageous or outlandish as those on the Left. The Right and Center have a moral compass. That's why FOX got rid of O'Reilly. The Left doesn't. Theirs swings wilder than Captain Jack Sparrow's.
          Aside from the big ones like CNN, Fox, and MSNBC for example....

What is the liberal equal of conservative outlets like Rebel media, Zero hedge, Stromfront, Alex Jones, David Duke, Ann Coulter, Jihadwatch, religionofpeace.com.....all sites that use terms like radical Jews or radical Muslims, sites that have been overtly critical of Muslims and Jews in general.... Now the one site I can think of that possibly compares to the conservative outlets would be Democracy now which at times has been critical of the US gov policy which is not on the level of intolerance of being critical of entire groups of people as opposed to gov policy.

I dont think there can be a liberal equal to stromfront. The concept of liberalism is freedom, fighting ISIL, fighting the Third Reich during WW2, being proud of ones religion and or ethnicity.

George S Patton

Comment

A short list:

Daily Kos
            Buzzflash
            Mother Jones
            Antiwar
            Think Progress
            Feministing
            Truthout
            Truthdig
            Opednews

The Left has plenty of equivalent sites to those. It's just they're not nearly as popular because slightly less than 20% of the public are Leftists. I only know about them (and others) because I believe Sun Tzu was right: Know your enemy and know yourself and you'll be safe in one hundred battles.

Comment

A short list:

Daily Kos
              Buzzflash
              Mother Jones
              Antiwar
              Think Progress
              Feministing
              Truthout
              Truthdig
              Opednews

The Left has plenty of equivalent sites to those. It's just they're not nearly as popular because slightly less than 20% of the public are Leftists. I only know about them (and others) because I believe Sun Tzu was right: Know your enemy and know yourself and you'll be safe in one hundred battles.
              I have not heard of most of those sites but have mother jones and buzzfeeds come out against entire groups of ethnicities like how religionofpeace.com and rebel media have? Can you provide a link from mother jones or buzzfeed that is perhaps critical of Christians in general or even Christianity.

The feminist sites are a good point, some of the liberal feminists are openly bigoted toward men.
              Last edited by Stonewall_Jack; 28 Apr 17, 17:26. Reason: typo

George S Patton

Comment

um someone needs to pay attention to MSNBC and update their why I hate MSNBC list.

Ed and Keith have been going for years now

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall_Jack View Post
                  I have not heard of most of those sites but have mother jones and buzzfeeds came out against entire groups of ethnicities like how religionofpeace.com and rebel media have? Can you provide a link from mother jones or buzzfeed that is perhaps critical of Christians in general or even Christianity.

The feminist sites are a good point, some of the liberal feminists are openly bigoted toward men.
                  Their slant is different from the Right wing sites. But, other than that, they're as prone to fake news, horribly slanted reporting, even making stuff up. I don't know how you can compare Left and Right sites simply on content beyond that as the two have very different agendas in many cases.

On race the Leftist sites are more likely to push White Privilege or attack "The Rich" as targets than minorities. For example, Leftist sites will rail against those opposed to child vaccination (it doesn't matter what you or I think about this issue or its validity). They will come down hard on anyone or group that doesn't support the entire LGBTQ alphabet soup of alternative sexual lifestyles. The Left is equally or more so bigoted than any Rightist site is, and they're frequently much more open about it. They feel comfortable with their forms of bigotry.

Media Matters, for example, has been slammed for their anti-religious bias. Only their bias is against Christians, not Muslims. Their angle is mostly in support of the LGBTQ community.
                  One might also note that that site almost exclusively attacks Right leaning sites smearing them with a litany of questionable positions and ad hominems. This from a site that claims to be a journalistic watchdog...

While Religionofpeace is pretty openly rough on Islam, you can't fault most of the underlying facts they use. For example, their daily list of terrorist attacks worldwide committed by Islamic groups or Muslims. Those come from a wide variety of sources and can be checked for validity. You may not like what they're reporting in that vein, but they aren't just making stuff up either.

Comment

Aside from the big ones like CNN, Fox, and MSNBC for example....

What is the liberal equal of conservative outlets like Rebel media, Zero hedge, Stromfront, Alex Jones, David Duke, Ann Coulter, Jihadwatch, religionofpeace.com.....all sites that use terms like radical Jews or radical Muslims, sites that have been overtly critical of Muslims and Jews in general.... Now the one site I can think of that possibly compares to the conservative outlets would be Democracy now which at times has been critical of the US gov policy which is not on the level of intolerance of being critical of entire groups of people as opposed to gov policy.

I dont think there can be a liberal equal to stromfront. The concept of liberalism is freedom, fighting ISIL, fighting the Third Reich during WW2, being proud of ones religion and or ethnicity.
                    so liberalism good--conservatism bad?
                    or is this sarcasm
                    liberalism is ''freedom'', ..conservatism is not? liberals are the good guys fighting the bad guys [ nazis ] ?? conservatives do not fight the bad guys?
                    is this what you are saying?--sounds like it ...especially reading other replies.....it's right there, above
                    ??

..ever go to ''leftists'' [ B ] sites? hate hate hate hate
                    Last edited by Moulin; 28 Apr 17, 12:04.

Comment

Don't forget the Huffing and Puffington Post.

Who calls for violence? The Left.

Yeah there's some nut cases on the right but the right says they're nutjobs.

The left celebrates violent suppression of their opposition... (Not all of them but a significant amount...)
                      Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
                        Don't forget the Huffing and Puffington Post.

Who calls for violence? The Left.

Yeah there's some nut cases on the right but the right says they're nutjobs.

The left celebrates violent suppression of their opposition... (Not all of them but a significant amount...)
                        o my--I posted one of their headlines in another thread
                        they are racist and hateful
                        --correct me if I'm wrong--some people here are saying liberals don't have hateful sites/policy/etc?? how ridiculous

Comment

Their slant is different from the Right wing sites. But, other than that, they're as prone to fake news, horribly slanted reporting, even making stuff up. I don't know how you can compare Left and Right sites simply on content beyond that as the two have very different agendas in many cases.

On race the Leftist sites are more likely to push White Privilege or attack "The Rich" as targets than minorities. For example, Leftist sites will rail against those opposed to child vaccination (it doesn't matter what you or I think about this issue or its validity). They will come down hard on anyone or group that doesn't support the entire LGBTQ alphabet soup of alternative sexual lifestyles. The Left is equally or more so bigoted than any Rightist site is, and they're frequently much more open about it. They feel comfortable with their forms of bigotry.

Media Matters, for example, has been slammed for their anti-religious bias. Only their bias is against Christians, not Muslims. Their angle is mostly in support of the LGBTQ community.
                          One might also note that that site almost exclusively attacks Right leaning sites smearing them with a litany of questionable positions and ad hominems. This from a site that claims to be a journalistic watchdog...

While Religionofpeace is pretty openly rough on Islam, you can't fault most of the underlying facts they use. For example, their daily list of terrorist attacks worldwide committed by Islamic groups or Muslims. Those come from a wide variety of sources and can be checked for validity. You may not like what they're reporting in that vein, but they aren't just making stuff up either.

Other than the liberal feminists as well as some of the individuals you brought up earlier...Im not seeing the types of bigotry you talk about from liberal sites....at least not any that I know of. I have seen anti US gov viewpoints from the liberal outlet Democracy now.

Well the conservative outlet religionofpeace rightfully calls out Muslim attacks against innocents but in line with its anti Muslim propaganda never talks about the Muslims who fight ISIL... It would be like a liberal site only talking about intolerant Israels but not talking about the honorable Israels.
                          Last edited by Stonewall_Jack; 28 Apr 17, 13:11.

George S Patton

Comment

Originally posted by Moulin View Post
                            so liberalism good--conservatism bad?
                            or is this sarcasm
                            liberalism is ''freedom'', ..conservatism is not? liberals are the good guys fighting the bad guys [ nazis ] ?? conservatives do not fight the bad guys?
                            is this what you are saying?--sounds like it ...especially reading other replies.....it's right there, above
                            ??

..ever go to ''leftists'' [ B ] sites? hate hate hate hate
                            What I write is what I feel. You may have misinterpreted my post. If you think I am against conservatives then ask me. The fact of the matter is that I am not against conservatives.

Abe Lincoln was a liberal. Lincoln probably would be a Democrat if he lived today. Liberalism is freedom. Great men of history such as Napoleon, Thomas Paine, and the Founding fathers were openly liberal. ..they discussed the rights of man being universal.

At the same time some pro Israel Democrats are either influenced by anti Muslim propaganda or are working for Israels interests as opposed to US interests and this is completely unacceptable...Think of Chuck Schumer and Debbie Wasserman Schultz.

George S Patton

Comment

What I write is what I feel. You may have misinterpreted my post. If you think I am against conservatives then ask me. The fact of the matter is that I am not against conservatives.

Abe Lincoln was a liberal. Lincoln probably would be a Democrat if he lived today. Liberalism is freedom. Great men of history such as Napoleon, Thomas Paine, and the Founding fathers were openly liberal. ..they discussed the rights of man being universal.

At the same time some pro Israel Democrats are either influenced by anti Muslim propaganda or are working for Israels interests as opposed to US interests and this is completely unacceptable...Think of Chuck Schumer and Debbie Wasserman Schultz.
                              so conservatism is not freedom??
                              ''liberalism is freedom'' what does that mean?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X