Driver-less vehicles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driver-less vehicles

Many experts say driver-less vehicles will be in widespread use in the next five to fifteen years.

http://www.driverless-future.com/?page_id=384

The Teamsters and other unions and labor groups have got to be worried about this.

It could result in the loss of millions of jobs in the US alone.

How close do you think driver-less vehicles are?

Will political pressure keep the widespread adoption of these vehicles from happening?
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Beatrice Evelyn Hall
    Updated for the 21st century... except if you are criticizing islam, that scares the $hii+e out of me!

"Omigod! It's not stopping! WhaddoIdonow?

Driverless vehicles are yet another instance of the dumbing down of America. It's happening already with some of the 'driver assist' features that some cars are equipped with such as lane departure prevention, emergency braking, automatic blind spot detection, etc.
    Just these features alone are enough to lull some drivers into a sense of security and reduced vigilance on watching the road ahead, their car's path, speed and the danger of other drivers.
    IMO there is no computer program that can anticipate the myriad and twisted ways that humans can f**k up while behind the wheel of a mass of speeding metal, rubber and plastic.
    This ain't "The Jetsons".
    ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
    IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Originally posted by Jose50 View Post
      Driverless vehicles are yet another instance of the dumbing down of America. It's happening already with some of the 'driver assist' features that some cars are equipped with such as lane departure prevention, emergency braking, automatic blind spot detection, etc.
      Just these features alone are enough to lull some drivers into a sense of security and reduced vigilance on watching the road ahead, their car's path, speed and the danger of other drivers.
      IMO there is no computer program that can anticipate the myriad and twisted ways that humans can f**k up while behind the wheel of a mass of speeding metal, rubber and plastic.
      This ain't "The Jetsons".
      Neither can people. No one claims that they'd eliminate all accidents etc. The question is can the function better than the average US Driver? I'd say yes, easily if for the simple fact they don't 'text' while driving and don't get sleepy.
      “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
      “To talk of many things:
      Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
      Of cabbages—and kings—
      And why the sea is boiling hot—
      And whether pigs have wings.”
      ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
        Neither can people. No one claims that they'd eliminate all accidents etc. The question is can the function better than the average US Driver? I'd say yes, easily if for the simple fact they don't 'text' while driving and don't get sleepy.
        Exactly my point. These new features lull drivers into a false sense of safety possibly prompting distracting activities like texting, facebooking, and yes, sleeping.
        Remember the story about the guy who was driving the RV and then put it on cruise control while he went back to the kitchen to get a cup of coffee?
        ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
        IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Originally posted by Jose50 View Post
          Exactly my point. These new features lull drivers into a false sense of safety possibly prompting distracting activities like texting, facebooking, and yes, sleeping.
          Remember the story about the guy who was driving the RV and then put it on cruise control while he went back to the kitchen to get a cup of coffee?
          They do that now. Difference is that now they will usually wreck. With auto pilot mostly not wreck.

The question is will they reduce accidents, I can't see how not. I'd love to be able to commute to work, on the two days that I have to go into the office, and read a book during the trip.
          “To talk of many things:
          Of cabbages—and kings—
          ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by 17thfabn View Post
            Many experts say driver-less vehicles will be in widespread use in the next five to fifteen years.

http://www.driverless-future.com/?page_id=384

The Teamsters and other unions and labor groups have got to be worried about this.

It could result in the loss of millions of jobs in the US alone.

How close do you think driver-less vehicles are?

Will political pressure keep the widespread adoption of these vehicles from happening?
            Not very close at all. Part of it is a people/trust issue that will be hard to overcome, and part of it is whether or not driverless vehicles will be able to cope with the unlicensed, unaware and untrained illegals driving on American roads, who do things totally unpredictable to any computer.

The other part ill be the cost of such vehicles due to the high level of technology/sensors required. Then there is the issue of our lousy road systems, which require a lot of skill to drive over without crippling our vehicles, especially out here in the West where dirt roads are still very common for long distances. It's going to take a very good set of sensors to drive in the dust clouds thrown up n these roads while avoiding livestock, wild animals like deer, potholes, ruts, no shoulders at all and red-neck idiots barreling along at warp speed! Anybody can drive on a real road!

We have the same problem in the skies - today's passenger aircraft can take off, fly to destination and land without humans at the controls, but the flight crews remain in the cockpits as the essential back-up to the auto-systems. We aren't ready to hurtle through the skies at the mercy of a micro-chip, and a number of NTSB investigations have determined that some very serious aircraft crashes were the result of computerized systems doing the wrong thing at a crucial time.

The teamsters will eventually go the way of locomotive firemen when diesels came into service - phased out due to progress, like millions of Americans over the years. Met any Pony Express riders lately?
            Last edited by Mountain Man; 21 Apr 17, 10:06.
            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

...I'd love to be able to commute to work, on the two days that I have to go into the office, and read a book during the trip.
              A Tesla owner was doing that when he was killed.
              https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...-car-elon-musk

Comment

Originally posted by III Corps View Post
                A Tesla owner was doing that when he was killed.
                https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...-car-elon-musk

Yes, and the Telsa is NOT fully autonomous vehicle. So he was doing what he should not have been doing. Were 5-10 years from what I want.
                “To talk of many things:
                Of cabbages—and kings—
                ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

They do that now. Difference is that now they will usually wreck. With auto pilot mostly not wreck.

The question is will they reduce accidents, I can't see how not. I'd love to be able to commute to work, on the two days that I have to go into the office, and read a book during the trip.
                  You can do that now, on a train, light rail or bus, or by carpooling.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    You can do that now, on a train, light rail or bus, or by carpooling.
                    No train, bus nor light rail near my house to near my work. Not many carpool opportunities for a 0420 commute start and a 1445 return...not to an office park anyway.

Plus I work from home the other 3 days....Nothing like being off work at 1445 and already home on a Friday... oh wait... TODAY is Friday....
                    “To talk of many things:
                    Of cabbages—and kings—
                    ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

No train, bus nor light rail near my house to near my work. Not many carpool opportunities for a 0420 commute start and a 1445 return...not to an office park anyway.

Plus I work from home the other 3 days....Nothing like being off work at 1445 and already home on a Friday... oh wait... TODAY is Friday....
                      Good point. None way out here, either. I'm my own "autonomous vehicle operating system".

Comment

Hate it, driving is supposed to be fun. There's no fun in being chauffeured around by a computer.
                        "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
                        - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          . . . . driverless vehicles will be able to cope with the unlicensed, unaware and untrained illegals driving on American roads, who do things totally unpredictable to any computer. . . . .
                          Worse than the untrained illegals are the old farts who putter along in the left lane at 25mph and at the last moment decide to veer hard right across three lanes of traffic 'cause they've forgotten where their exit is. No algorithm has been crafted that can possibly predict that.
                          I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                            Worse than the untrained illegals are the old farts who putter along in the left lane at 25mph and at the last moment decide to veer hard right across three lanes of traffic 'cause they've forgotten where their exit is. No algorithm has been crafted that can possibly predict that.
                            You got that right! Or the old coot with the cataracts and glaucoma who suddenly slams on his brakes because he's sure he "saw" something on the road!

Comment

Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post
                              Hate it, driving is supposed to be fun. There's no fun in being chauffeured around by a computer.
                              On a long drive it would be more relaxing, but other than that, I agree with you completely. Driving used to be fun.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X