Bannon in peril? Trump's criticism worries his populist base

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bannon in peril? Trump's criticism worries his populist base

WASHINGTON (AP) President Donald Trump has declared: "I am my own strategist." That would seem to bode poorly for his actual strategist, Steve Bannon.

And Trump now appears to have begun publicly distancing himself.

In an interview with The New York Post, the president said "I like Steve" and called his adviser "a good guy" but one who wasn't really all that involved with his winning election campaign. He said his warring senior officials, including Bannon, must "straighten it out or I will."

The unusual public, lukewarm support from the boss has Bannon's friends and advisers worried he will soon be out of a job. But shedding Bannon would be no simple staff shake-up. More than any other member of Trump's orbit, the former media executive and radio host, known as a bare-knuckle political fighter, has a following all his own. He is viewed by many in the conservative core as the ideological backbone in a White House run by a president who boast of his flexibility.

"I think it's important to recognize the value of the base. It's important to recognize the base sees their advocate in Steve Bannon," said Michael Caputo, a former Trump campaign adviser who has known the president for decades.
    http://bigstory.ap.org/article/a27f8...-populist-base

What a load of tripe.
    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
      What a load of tripe.
      Hey, Bannon may have his issues, but that's a bit personal.

Comment

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
        Hey, Bannon may have his issues, but that's a bit personal.
        Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

If Bannon goes it'll be back to establishment politics as usual.

Within the Trump administration there are two factions vying for power: the nationalists, led by Steven Bannon, and the more establishment friendly centrists, led by Jared Kushner.

By all appearances, Kushner has a strong Jewish identity.

Now, given that the neoconservatives – whose agenda can be summarized as “invade the world, invite the world” – are virtually all Jewish, pro-Israel, and interested in destabilizing the Middle East, we should be deeply concerned with Kushner’s ascension.
          https://altright.com/2017/04/11/kush...tion-reinhard/

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...d.php?t=176914
          "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
          - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

Rep. Steve King (R-IA) on Sunday tweeted at President Donald Trump that embattled White House chief strategist Steve Bannon is the "lynchpin" to his support base.

"Conservatives are an endangered species in your White House," King posted.
            http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewir...n-support-base
            "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
            - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post
              Predictions of Bannon's demise are quite premature at this point. Trump can be critical in his commentary, but besides rumors and some worries from the right, assuming Bannon is on the ropes at this stage is a bit much. Not that It won't happen, but at this stage Trump doesn't have much to gain by canning the man.

If anything, I'd argue his comments are simply aimed at the right-populists who didn't back his Trumpcare proposals. A reminder that they need to be on board with him and not nitpick his policies - and even that's a slight stretch.

Comment

like Bannon, kushner has no qualifications for all the posts/influence he has- pure nepotism
                Zhitomir-Berdichev, West of Kiev: 24 Dec 1943-31 Jan 1944
                Stalin's Favorite: The Combat History of the 2nd Guards Tank Army
                Barbarossa Derailed I & II
                Battle of Kalinin October 1941

Comment

Originally posted by Cult Icon View Post
                  like Bannon, kushner has no qualifications for all the posts/influence he has- pure nepotism
                  Bannon served a political service to Trump because, as some of Trump's own supporters on the populist right said themselves, Bannon is their "guy" in the administration. It's no different than a Democrat putting a hardcore environmentalist on their cabinet to mollify the green lobby: it is politics as old as the United States itself. You could claim he isn't the "best" for the job, but there certainly is more of a reason than simply patronage and nepotism.

Comment

Originally posted by Cult Icon View Post
                    Neither did Obama and I survived (other than the ACA) unscathed, btw, I survived Carter ( almost lost my job), and Clinton, I can survive Trump, no problem, Bannon and Kushner don't mean a damn thing to me, they don't affect you or I one IODA
                    Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Man, the media is ocd'ing on tds. Every day its a new hit piece. Seems like the fourth estate has turned rabid and has to try to find something new to attack trump every day.

If this deal with China over the norks is real trump did more in one day than bush, clinton, shrub, and bobo in their entire Presidencies...
                      Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X