Big Brother in Trump's America

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Brother in Trump's America

Twitter filed a lawsuit Thursday to block an order from the Department of Homeland Security that seeks to reveal the user of an account who has been critical of the Trump administration's immigration policies.

Free speech advocates said the DHS order appeared to be the first time the government has attempted to use its powers to expose an anonymous critic -- a development that, if successful, would have a "grave chilling effect on the speech of that account" as well as other accounts critical of the U.S. government, Twitter said.
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politi...p-it-a-secret/
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
    - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

More whining.
    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Liberals just don't get that since the Net is unregulated, the government's actions in the Net are free of most restrictions.

True freedom cuts both ways.
      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
        More whining.
        As an American who loves freedom, personal privacy and believes in a small government I will always whine and complain anytime our government oversteps its bounds. I will not sacrifice my values for any person or party unlike you.

Stop attacking the citizen's personal privacy, cut the budget and operate within their bounds and there would be nothing to whine about.
        Last edited by TactiKill J.; 07 Apr 17, 13:08.
        "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
        - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Again, all you can ever offer is a two wrongs make a right argument. In this case, I don't see where Obama tried to reveal the identity of a critic on social media.

At any rate I never argued that freedom flourished under Obama. It didn't, and it's still not under Trump. But, of course that's ok to you because republican.
          - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Oh, by the by... I'm not defending Trump here at all. What I'm pointing out is the action you say he's taking that in that article is almost literally nothing compared to the use of media and government against critics Obama took. The MSM just downplayed Obama's as they were complicit with him. Were as with Trump the MSM is really almost at war with him.

Comment

Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post
              Again, all you can ever offer is a two wrongs make a right argument. In this case, I don't see where Obama tried to reveal the identity of a critic on social media.
              Nah... No comparison with Obama using the IRS to go after them wholesale... "Oh, the horror! Trump wants to find a critic and silence him!"

Well, here's a real case of the Obama administration making it personal:

https://townhall.com/columnists/lori...umber-n1311522

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/j...plumber-obama/

At any rate I never argued that freedom flourished under Obama. It didn't, and it's still not under Trump. But, of course that's ok to you because republican.
              And, as I said... I'm not defending Trump. But, the example at this point you're using is apples to apple orchards.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                Oh, by the by... I'm not defending Trump here at all. What I'm pointing out is the action you say he's taking that in that article is almost literally nothing compared to the use of media and government against critics Obama took. The MSM just downplayed Obama's as they were complicit with him. Were as with Trump the MSM is really almost at war with him.
                Trying to obtain the identity of an online critic is not literally nothing. At what point can we start holding the incumbent accountable and stop deflecting? Or will we just continue to let our freedoms erode in the name of partisan fights and bias.
                - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                  Nah... No comparison with Obama using the IRS to go after them wholesale... "Oh, the horror! Trump wants to find a critic and silence him!"

Well, here's a real case of the Obama administration making it personal:

https://townhall.com/columnists/lori...umber-n1311522

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/j...plumber-obama/

And, as I said... I'm not defending Trump. But, the example at this point you're using is apples to apple orchards.
                  Cool. You convinced me. Let's just keep the streak going since Obama did it. No sense in being better or changing the standard.
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post
                    As an American who loves freedom, personal privacy and believes in a small government I will always whine and complain anytime our government oversteps its bounds. I will not sacrifice my values for any person or party unlike you.
                    You love freedom but you are unwilling to defend it........

"Always whine and complain" wont get you very far in this world. Maybe take some proactive steps.
                    "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Does DHS have a warrant? If not, then their request for records is a no-go. If they push it, then they're in clear violation of the Constitution. That's how I see it: plain and simple.
                      I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                        Does DHS have a warrant? If not, then their request for records is a no-go. If they push it, then they're in clear violation of the Constitution. That's how I see it: plain and simple.
                        A subpoena will do IME. Since the information open to a third party, the expectation of privacy is much reduced.

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post
                          You love freedom but you are unwilling to defend it........

"Always whine and complain" wont get you very far in this world. Maybe take some proactive steps.
                          There it is. Defending freedom is always someone else's job.

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                            They don't. You can't obtain a warrant on the account of someone being critical of your policies.
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X