No announcement yet.

A media built to fleece gullible, generally older people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In fact, there is a great deal of truth to his initial statement. the media runs of advertising revenue, and the ad revenues are highly slanted towards older people: reverse mortgages, life insurance, safety devices for those who slip and fall, walkers of all types, the constant scooter ads that "welfare may pay all of your costs, the "copper infused" sports gears for the older aches and pains, the braces of all types that "we will bill Medicare for", and - of course- all of the over-the-counter painkillers, creams and other products, colostomy products, and a legion of lawyers ready to make you the money you deserve if anything in your life ever went wrong.

And let us not forget the constant, overwhelming barrage of male virility products!

Fact is, older people have more problems for which they seek more remedies, which makes them a bigger advertising market, but the sellers/advertisers of the products are the truth scam artists, not those who air the ads.

Comment

Not to mention that older people usually have more cash lying about than 20-somethings...

Comment

You fellas ...

... doth protest too much, methinks.

Clearly, you all fall into the demographic, got your garages full of "Flex Seal", got "Ever Brite" LED stick up lights over the side door, and "Furniture Fix" in your couches to get a few more years out've em. You've bought a couple of "Hurricane 360 Spin mops" and "Ped Egg Power Callus Removers" for the wife, his&her "Tummy Tuck Miracle Slimming Systems" & "Copper Fit". You've got your "Atomic Beam USA" flashlights in the truck, and "Car Canes" to help you get out've it, and you've just ordered "The Baseboard Buddy". Ooooh, you're gonna love that one!

Of course you saw all these deals on AHC i.e. the "American Heroes Channel", and you always buy 2 at a time, the second one's free, you only pay for shipping and handling.

C'mon now, how many of you have a matched pair of Donald Trump Chias growing on your patios!?!

Pssst,

That was fun!
        "I am Groot"
        - Groot

Comment

Originally posted by Marmat View Post
          ... doth protest too much, methinks.

Clearly, you all fall into the demographic, got your garages full of "Flex Seal", got "Ever Brite" LED stick up lights over the side door, and "Furniture Fix" in your couches to get a few more years out've em. You've bought a couple of "Hurricane 360 Spin mops" and "Ped Egg Power Callus Removers" for the wife, his&her "Tummy Tuck Miracle Slimming Systems" & "Copper Fit". You've got your "Atomic Beam USA" flashlights in the truck, and "Car Canes" to help you get out've it, and you've just ordered "The Baseboard Buddy". Ooooh, you're gonna love that one!

Of course you saw all these deals on AHC i.e. the "American Heroes Channel", and you always buy 2 at a time, the second one's free, you only pay for shipping and handling.

C'mon now, how many of you have a matched pair of Donald Trump Chias growing on your patios!?!

Pssst,

That was fun!

None of us. We ship all of that crap to Canada.

Comment

We've had one for years.

Can you name me any other country in the world where the ruling party regularly polls 50%, but the media turn every event into an excuse to attack them ?

A recent incident was the press making much of the fact that life expectancy in Scotland hadn't risen in the last three years - perfectly true, but they conveniently forgot to mention that the same report stated that life expectancy had actually fallen in the rest of the UK in the same period - the first time either had happened in decades.
            Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

+ all the gold/silver/precious metal bugs and pundits (eg. Marc Faber) that appear on daytime TV talking about the next depression around the corner.

+ all the commercials for magical pills/elixars that make 70- year old bodies into body builder physiques

+all the commercials for overpriced pillows and mattresses that don't do a number on your back..

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                In fact, there is a great deal of truth to his initial statement. the media runs of advertising revenue, and the ad revenues are highly slanted towards older people: reverse mortgages, life insurance, safety devices for those who slip and fall, walkers of all types, the constant scooter ads that "welfare may pay all of your costs, the "copper infused" sports gears for the older aches and pains, the braces of all types that "we will bill Medicare for", and - of course- all of the over-the-counter painkillers, creams and other products, colostomy products, and a legion of lawyers ready to make you the money you deserve if anything in your life ever went wrong.

And let us not forget the constant, overwhelming barrage of male virility products!

Fact is, older people have more problems for which they seek more remedies, which makes them a bigger advertising market, but the sellers/advertisers of the products are the truth scam artists, not those who air the ads.
                This is how everything works. Apart from the very basic necessities of life you are just being sold stuff. That's how most people make their living. You either sell or you work for someone who sells. Or you work for the government, which sells as well(like "we need government"). Older people are often targeted by some people since it's easier to sell to them( elections....).
                Wisdom is personal

Comment

Originally posted by Karri View Post
                  This is how everything works. Apart from the very basic necessities of life you are just being sold stuff. That's how most people make their living. You either sell or you work for someone who sells. Or you work for the government, which sells as well(like "we need government"). Older people are often targeted by some people since it's easier to sell to them( elections....).
                  Karri, no one can sell me anything, Trump, the news media, TV, I only buy what I need or what I want and it has nothing to do with age, I have been that way since I was in my 20s, I have a friend that is a car salesman, and he lives about a mile from me and I have bought more than 10 cars from him in my lifetime and he told me years ago, "you are the type of customer a car salesman hates because you know exactly what you want before you step on the lot and nothing else" and he is 100% correct, when I buy a car it's my money, I want the brand, color, color of the interior. engine size etc that I want, if not I'll go somewhere else or have the dealer order it from the factory, same with the grocery store, I know what I am going to buy before I set foot in it and nothing else, the only thing I buy over the phone is Pizza, and over the internet, the brand, size and specification that I want, I may be an anomaly here among old people but it's the gods honest truth.
                  Last edited by Trung Si; 10 Apr 17, 13:36.
                  Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Originally posted by mconrad View Post
                    • Alex Pareene in Fusion:

“A media apparatus that was built to fleece gullible, generally older people now holds sway over much of Congress and the president himself.”

Alex Pareene describes the blossoming of the fringe, right-wing media as a product of two distinct yet complementary agendas: the disingenuous demonization of the mainstream media for political ends, and the birth of conservative media for commercial benefit, a natural market for snake-oil salesmen to exploit their marks. The “grift,” Mr. Pareene explains, is both financial and intellectual, with older, white men serving as right-wing media’s primary “suckers.” Read more: http://fusion.net/the-long-lucrative...=1491407805733 »
                    More a case of ...
                    The mainstream and conservative media are living in different worlds. So are those who read them

Or view/listen as well ...
                    http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-...410-story.html
                    TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
                    “War is merely the continuation of politics by other means” - von Clausewitz
                    Present Current Events are the Future's History

Comment

Originally posted by Trung Si View Post
                      I am old and happy, I live on what I have, I am not senile, I am not about to buy Silver and Gold, I think your imagination is running away from you,
                      The whole article was liberal masturbation and boy are they working it.
                      A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X