Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A media built to fleece gullible, generally older people

• Alex Pareene in Fusion:

“A media apparatus that was built to fleece gullible, generally older people now holds sway over much of Congress and the president himself.”

Alex Pareene describes the blossoming of the fringe, right-wing media as a product of two distinct yet complementary agendas: the disingenuous demonization of the mainstream media for political ends, and the birth of conservative media for commercial benefit, a natural market for snake-oil salesmen to exploit their marks. The “grift,” Mr. Pareene explains, is both financial and intellectual, with older, white men serving as right-wing media’s primary “suckers.” Read more: http://fusion.net/the-long-lucrative...=1491407805733 »

Hogwash.
    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Wow! I read the whole article. What a piece of work that was!

Paragraph long ad hominems... gratuitous ones no less!

Leave aside this paragraph is incoherent as a teenage girl texting while driving... (quoted in part, see the article for the full insanity)

He has always, clearly, been an incoherent thinker, contradictory and prone to self-gratifying delusions.
      Or this gem of an insult:

Trump was always venal, dishonest, genuinely deluded about his financial acumen and business success, and, you know, a wildly misogynistic accused rapist and sexual harasser. But for most of his public life, he also clearly knew the right sorts of things to say to sound like a reasonable person, albeit a mostly ridiculous one. Donald Trump the deranged believer of bizarre untruths about the world at large is actually a fairly recent development.
      Did the writer miss calling him anything in that? I don't think so. Oh, how can one sound reasonable and ridiculous at the same time...?

Or, this with a good dose of White Privilege tossed in for good measure.

Donald Trump today is a cruel dolt turned into a raving madman by cable news and Breitbart.com. You could see the descent happen during the Obama era, in concert with the broader maddening of the GOP. The major difference between Trump and the other old white men who’ve been radicalized by the conservative press is that his was a strangely self-directed conversion, based on his desire to make himself known as a plausible Republican presidential candidate.
      In fact, the article never gets to its point. The author raves in vague generalities about the media being "Right-wing" but only to make a circular argument, a Pygmalion out of it if you will.

And then he closes with this hit piece of disinformation as he gives no credible source or foundation for it other than his preceding screed:

Trump became a man who extensively reads conspiracy-obsessed right-wing blogs, and then a president who is closely advised by the dude in charge of Breitbart. And now, all you need to know to understand the president’s entire world view is that he is an old man who religiously watches “Fox & Friends.”
      I could envision the author screaming this out at some speaker at a university, spittle flying from his mouth as he does. Truly a wonderful example of Trump Derangement Syndrome.

Comment

I think the article is the biggest crock of sh-t that I have read lately, now I am sorry that I wasted a couple minutes out of my lifetime.
        Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Originally posted by Trung Si View Post
          I think the article is the biggest crock of sh-t that I have read lately, now I am sorry that I wasted a couple minutes out of my lifetime.
          That is more succinct than my long winded citations damning it. I did find it amazing how many ways the author found to slam Trump though.

Comment

I find the opening paragraph particularly enlightening about the author. It tells us nothing about anything else though...

If you want to understand intra-GOP warfare, the decision-making process of our president, the implosion of the Republican healthcare plan, and the rest of the politics of the Trump era, you don’t need to know about Russian espionage tactics, the state of the white working class, or even the beliefs of the “alt-right.” You pretty much just need to be in semi-regular contact with a white, reasonably comfortable, male retiree. We are now ruled by men who think and act very much like that ordinary man you might know, and if you want to know why they believe so many strange and terrible things, you can basically blame the fact that a large and lucrative industry is dedicated to lying to them.
            This is the world of the Progressive Left. To them, they just need to casually be in contact with someone who isn't a Progressive to know they're all crazy as loons on LSD.
            This is followed by the, apparent, horror that the US is now being run by this sort of non-Progressive person. The horror!
            The author would have a nervous breakdown if he had to spend the day in a West Virginia mining town, or wandered into a dive bar in, say, rural Montana.
            "What?! The only white wine they have is room temperature and comes out of a box! The horror! They don't even put your beer in a glass?! It's too much to bear. The entertainment is an old TV with NFL Sunday on? They're not watching CNN or PBS?! I've fallen into some time warp and landed in a cave of Neanderthals!"

Comment

I love it when I can TK a thread so thoroughly!

Comment

+1 good article, although overstated..about a massive industry designed to liberate senile old men from their retirement funds

This is why in the daytime you see commercials for silver and gold colns-

I would say that a major factor in right wing populism is generally unhappy men (often older) that feel disconnected from society.

Originally posted by mconrad View Post

“A media apparatus that was built to fleece gullible, generally older people now holds sway over much of Congress and the president himself.”

Alex Pareene describes the blossoming of the fringe, right-wing media as a product of two distinct yet complementary agendas: the disingenuous demonization of the mainstream media for political ends, and the birth of conservative media for commercial benefit, a natural market for snake-oil salesmen to exploit their marks. The “grift,” Mr. Pareene explains, is both financial and intellectual, with older, white men serving as right-wing media’s primary “suckers.” Read more: http://fusion.net/the-long-lucrative...=1491407805733 »

Comment

Originally posted by Cult Icon View Post
                  +1 good article, although overstated..about a massive industry designed to liberate senile old men from their retirement funds

I would say that a major factor in right wing populism is generally unhappy men (often older) that feel disconnected from society.
                  I am old and happy, I live on what I have, I am not senile, I am not about to buy Silver and Gold, I think your imagination is running away from you,
                  Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

And yet the tempter tantrums we've seen are clearly not made of such people.

As usual, white liberal biases run deep.
                    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

"If you're not a liberal when you're young you have no heart if you're a liberal when you're old you have no brain."

Life experience is what results in older people being more rightwing having seen liberals and lefties in action will normally get one to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by Trung Si View Post
                        I am old and happy, I live on what I have, I am not senile, I am not about to buy Silver and Gold, I think your imagination is running away from you,

I think lead would be a better investment...........

Comment

Well, I for one am not a victim of some Right-Wing snake oil sales pitch any more than I am of Left leaning ones.

I heard from my brother, who lives several blocks away, that I have developed a rep with the local home solar companies. I'm considered a good practice home for their salesmen to get hit by a customer that doesn't want their product.

Nor, am I going to buy gold and silver for a retirement plan. I'm not going to buy into some personal corporation scheme either.

Advertising cuts both ways. The Left has their BS just like the Right. Advertisers target their audiences. They always have, and they always will.

Comment

Originally posted by mconrad View Post

As opposed to fleecing gullible, poorly informed/educated younger people with leftest looter propaganda, such as we see in the MSM and the previous eight years of last POTUS.
                            TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
                            “War is merely the continuation of politics by other means” - von Clausewitz

Comment

Originally posted by G David Bock View Post
                              As opposed to fleecing gullible, poorly informed/educated younger people with leftest looter propaganda, such as we see in the MSM and the previous eight years of last POTUS.
                              It's also those robo calls such as the one that start out with "Congratulations, you have just won a free Bermuda vacation," Fix your credit, extend your car warranty, water and sewer line monthly insurance, Those Reverse Mortgages ads on mindless cable TV, funeral insurance, (So much cheaper just to buy a pre paid one in the first place,) all those infomercials to replace the Purple Pill, and other BS.
                              “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X