Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Republicans Nuke Democrats (in the Senate)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
    Indeed.

Funny that the Russians didn't affect those elections, too...
    Don't worry, that will come up in due time, as a matter of fact I have my dogs sitting at my front gate watching for Russians.
    Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Originally posted by Trung Si View Post
      Don't worry, that will come up in due time, as a matter of fact I have my dogs sitting at my front gate watching for Russians.
      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
        When was the last time that the full Senate rejected a Supreme Court nominee that had already passed the Judiciary Committee? I can't think of a single one, but that's just off the top of my head . . . . If I'm right, then Schumer's opposition to Gorsuch was unprecedented.

Looks like they shot their load prematurely.

With that crowd, wasn't that always the message?

Put it this way: while there were some genuine and substantiated reservations about Sonia Soto Mayor, the bulk of Judiciary Committee Republicans said that they had no real legal reason to block her nomination, and most of them voted to approve her nomination. The Rush Limbaugh crowd screamed "RINO" to the high heavens, but at the end of the day, the committee Republicans did the right thing. With even less cause over Gorsuch, Schumer threatened a filibuster. The guy's frankly intolerable.

While I can't defend how the filibuster has always been used, I'd hate to see it go. The Framers envisioned the Senate to be the deliberative body, the cooling chamber, where even the most divisive issues of the day can be debated in a dispassionate fashion. Of course the Senate hasn't always lived up to that ideal, but it has on occasion, and the filibuster has, on occasion, helped to facilitate the Senate's role as the dispassionate chamber, the body of mature men not immediately swayed by the braying masses, as opposed to the House of Representatives, which by design has to respond to popular acclaim. Take away the filibuster, and the Senate is just one step closer to a glorified popularity contest. Take away the Senate's tradition of unlimited debate, and you might as well not have a Senate. It can be reduced to a rubber stamp, much like the UK's House of Lords, no more impactful than a bus load of old sinecures.
        Keep the filibuster... but require one of the filibusterers to speak for the duration of the filibuster...
        Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
          When was the last time that the full Senate rejected a Supreme Court nominee that had already passed the Judiciary Committee? I can't think of a single one, but that's just off the top of my head . . . . If I'm right, then Schumer's opposition to Gorsuch was unprecedented.

Looks like they shot their load prematurely.

With that crowd, wasn't that always the message?

Put it this way: while there were some genuine and substantiated reservations about Sonia Soto Mayor, the bulk of Judiciary Committee Republicans said that they had no real legal reason to block her nomination, and most of them voted to approve her nomination. The Rush Limbaugh crowd screamed "RINO" to the high heavens, but at the end of the day, the committee Republicans did the right thing. With even less cause over Gorsuch, Schumer threatened a filibuster. The guy's frankly intolerable.

I think Bork was rejected in a Senate vote.
          He was very qualified, but the dems didn't like his views.

I don't know much about Sotomayor, but what I have read has led me to believe she isn't quite on the same level as the rest of the legal minds on the Court. My opinion has nothing to do with her politics and more to do with things she has said and written in the course of her work on the SCOTUS. I may not agree with RBG, but I do not question her competence.

Sotomayor will likely never be a force on the SCOTUS. She will only be a vote. I doubt she will ever be able to sway anyone else on the court with her reasoning or analysis, all they will ever do with her is count her vote and then ignore her. She is going to be as harmless on the Court as anyone could be.
          Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post

I don't know much about Sotomayor, but what I have read has led me to believe she isn't quite on the same level as the rest of the legal minds on the Court. My opinion has nothing to do with her politics and more to do with things she has said and written in the course of her work on the SCOTUS. I may not agree with RBG, but I do not question her competence.

Sotomayor will likely never be a force on the SCOTUS. She will only be a vote. I doubt she will ever be able to sway anyone else on the court with her reasoning or analysis, all they will ever do with her is count her vote and then ignore her. She is going to be as harmless on the Court as anyone could be.
            I agree with you about Sotomayor, I consider her as being pretty much harmless.
            Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Originally posted by Trung Si View Post
              Good doggys
              SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

The difference being that Bork lost in the committee. I can't think of a nominee approved by the committee but rejected by the full Senate. That's what Schumer & Co were angling for: something totally out of left field.

I don't know much about Sotomayor
                I was referring to her "wise Latina" remark, which could very easily have been interpreted as meaning she'd allow not only her experience as a Puerto Rican female, but also her biases, to influence her rulings.

but what I have read has led me to believe she isn't quite on the same level as the rest of the legal minds on the Court. My opinion has nothing to do with her politics and more to do with things she has said and written in the course of her work on the SCOTUS. I may not agree with RBG, but I do not question her competence.

She strikes me as relatively down the middle, and decidedly not a boat rocker. It's not in her nature to make waves, one way or the other.
                I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X