Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pres Trump warns House Conservatives join the team or he comes after them in 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pres Trump warns House Conservatives join the team or he comes after them in 2018

President Trump used a Tweet to send a warning shot across the bow of the House Freedom Caucus this morning:

http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...us-in-midterms

“The Freedom Caucus will hurt the entire Republican agenda if they don't get on the team, & fast. We must fight them, & Dems, in 2018!”
    “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
    “To talk of many things:
    Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
    Of cabbages—and kings—
    And why the sea is boiling hot—
    And whether pigs have wings.”
    ― Lewis Carroll

I don't support this, but isn't this politics as usual? Trump isn't really a conservative, he was just the most conservative candidate.

Even Bernie said he would oppose Hillary if she didn't support his goals.

He emphasized that he saw it as his role to "demand that the Democratic Party implement" the party platform his allies helped shape, and would be "vigorously in opposition" if Clinton attempted to abandon the platform's progressive element
    http://www.businessinsider.com/berni...ngress-2016-10
    Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post
      I don't support this, but isn't this politics as usual? Trump isn't really a conservative, he was just the most conservative candidate.

Even Bernie said he would oppose Hillary if she didn't support his goals.

He emphasized that he saw it as his role to "demand that the Democratic Party implement" the party platform his allies helped shape, and would be "vigorously in opposition" if Clinton attempted to abandon the platform's progressive element
      http://www.businessinsider.com/berni...ngress-2016-10
      Typically you do not see a sitting President threatening members in his own party.

He's not talking about opposing their policies etc like Sen Sanders was. He's talking about actively campaigning against them in 18, which we have to assume would be to support a primary challenger.
      “To talk of many things:
      Of cabbages—and kings—
      ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Cleaning out the swamp? The factions within the Republican Party have been at odds with each other for years.

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
          Typically you do not see a sitting President threatening members in his own party.

He's not talking about opposing their policies etc like Sen Sanders was. He's talking about actively campaigning against them in 18, which we have to assume would be to support a primary challenger.

Typically you do not. Typically the threats are delivered privately, but they are still threats.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

Typically you do not. Typically the threats are delivered privately, but they are still threats.
            Have you ever seen a sitting President support a House challenger in a Primary? I don't ever recall it. So if private threats were made none of them ever manifested into anything happening on the ground.
            “To talk of many things:
            Of cabbages—and kings—
            ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Have you ever seen a sitting President support a House challenger in a Primary? I don't ever recall it. So if private threats were made none of them ever manifested into anything happening on the ground.
              You're assuming that Pres Trump communicated with Freedom Caucus members privately. We don't know what he did. To be frank, Trump strikes me as especially ignorant of how Congress works, so it wouldn't surprise me if he did not communicate privately with members of Congress, either personally or through the White House's congressional liaison/legislative affairs director.

By the way, while I've never heard of a sitting President support a challenger of a Congressman of his own party, I've seen a state governor do it. Elliot Spitzer did exactly that: campaigned for challengers to sitting Democratic legislators. Ultimately it backfired, and backfired badly. When he got caught paying a call girl via the FedWire system, not a Democrat in Albany uttered so much as a whisper in his defense. They let his arrogant ass swing.
              I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                You're assuming that Pres Trump communicated with Freedom Caucus members privately. We don't know what he did. To be frank, Trump strikes me as especially ignorant of how Congress works, so it wouldn't surprise me if he did not communicate privately with members of Congress, either personally or through the White House's congressional liaison/legislative affairs director.

By the way, while I've never heard of a sitting President support a challenger of a Congressman of his own party, I've seen a state governor do it. Elliot Spitzer did exactly that: campaigned for challengers to sitting Democratic legislators. Ultimately it backfired, and backfired badly. When he got caught paying a call girl via the FedWire system, not a Democrat in Albany uttered so much as a whisper in his defense. They let his arrogant ass swing.
                Nope, I was replying to the post that talked about a President doing so privately. I have no idea if he did.
                “To talk of many things:
                Of cabbages—and kings—
                ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Nope, I was replying to the post that talked about a President doing so privately. I have no idea if he did.
                  Neither do I. As far as I know, no private communications between the White House and members of Congress have been made public. No indication of their existence has been made public. That "information void" leads me to suspect that perhaps none have taken place.

Comment

Neither do I. As far as I know, no private communications between the White House and members of Congress have been made public. No indication of their existence has been made public. That "information void" leads me to suspect that perhaps none have taken place.
                    Who knows with President Trump. From what he's done so far the only approach he knows how to use is the sledge hammer one.
                    “To talk of many things:
                    Of cabbages—and kings—
                    ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

I find it hard to believe that in the history of our nation no president has ever threatened a member of his own party for failing to support his agenda.

I believe we have heard of some of those incidents.

For instance:
                      It's no secret that members of Congress broker deals on the treadmill or in the weight room of the House and Senate gyms. But former congressman Eric Massa's accusation that White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel once berated him in the gym's shower over his vote against President Obama's budget left Washington watchers wondering how much business politicians conduct while naked.
                      http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...030903654.html

Comment

To be fair any private conversations would be well, private....
                        "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

I find it hard to believe that in the history of our nation no president has ever threatened a member of his own party for failing to support his agenda.
                          In private, yeah -- but I've never heard of a sitting president in public threatening to support opponents to members of his own party in upcoming elections if they don't toe the line. Not even FDR did that, and he treated the Congressional Democrats like a doormat.

I believe we have heard of some of those incidents.

For instance:
                          It's no secret that members of Congress broker deals on the treadmill or in the weight room of the House and Senate gyms. But former congressman Eric Massa's accusation that White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel once berated him in the gym's shower over his vote against President Obama's budget left Washington watchers wondering how much business politicians conduct while naked.
                          http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...030903654.html
                          Things like that leak out eventually. It seems they always do. LBJ was the master of that: twisting arms and charming the pants off of various Congressmen, as well as outright buying their votes. But since we've heard no leaks of this nature about Trump's dealings with Congress, I'm left to suspect that he hasn't used that tactic.

Originally posted by Surrey View Post
                          To be fair any private conversations would be well, private....
                          In Washington, they don't stay private, at least not for long. I'm just a little surprised that some "Washington Whispers" column hasn't written a bit about "Trump's man tried to strong arm a recalcitrant Congressional Republican . . . . "

Comment

In private, yeah -- but I've never heard of a sitting president in public threatening to support opponents to members of his own party in upcoming elections if they don't toe the line. Not even FDR did that, and he treated the Congressional Democrats like a doormat.

Things like that leak out eventually. It seems they always do. LBJ was the master of that: twisting arms and charming the pants off of various Congressmen, as well as outright buying their votes. But since we've heard no leaks of this nature about Trump's dealings with Congress, I'm left to suspect that he hasn't used that tactic.

In Washington, they don't stay private, at least not for long. I'm just a little surprised that some "Washington Whispers" column hasn't written a bit about "Trump's man tried to strong arm a recalcitrant Congressional Republican . . . . "
                            In this case less than a week, as far as private threats go:

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/32...ary-challenger

Rep. Mark Sanford (R-S.C.) claims President Trump threatened to back a primary challenge against him during the contentious negotiations over the Republican ObamaCare repeal and replace bill last week.

Sanford, a member of the conservative House Freedom Caucus, told The Post and Courier on Thursday that the threat was delivered through White House budget chief Mick Mulvaney.

"'The president asked me to look you square in the eyes and to say that he hoped that you voted ‘no’ on this bill so he could run (a primary challenger) against you in 2018,'" the lawmaker quoted Mulvaney as saying, according to the newspaper.
                            “To talk of many things:
                            Of cabbages—and kings—
                            ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

In this case less than a week, as far as private threats go:

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/32...ary-challenger

Rep. Mark Sanford (R-S.C.) claims President Trump threatened to back a primary challenge against him during the contentious negotiations over the Republican ObamaCare repeal and replace bill last week.

Sanford, a member of the conservative House Freedom Caucus, told The Post and Courier on Thursday that the threat was delivered through White House budget chief Mick Mulvaney.

"'The president asked me to look you square in the eyes and to say that he hoped that you voted ‘no’ on this bill so he could run (a primary challenger) against you in 2018,'" the lawmaker quoted Mulvaney as saying, according to the newspaper.
                              At least Trump tried. [Shrugs shoulders]

Back in the day, when LBJ or FDR or Nixon did that, he was pretty well tied in to the various state and local party machines. With a single phone call those presidents could screw over an uncooperative Congressman. To the best of my knowledge Pres Trump has not cultivated those kinds of contacts. By "going on the record," Rep Sanford is essentially calling Trump's bluff. Bluffing is something a President should never do.

Or at least never be seen as doing.

Guess you're right John: Trump's about as subtle as Irish Confetti.

If you ever get the chance, read Caro's Powerbroker: Robert Moses and the Fall of New York. Towards the end Master-builder Moses is hassled by a good-looking new reform mayor, John Lindsay -- think Barack Obama with a clipped Ivy League accent. The old lion Moses drew the young cub Lindsay into an old fashioned Albany ambush. Schooled his arrogant ass big time, only Lindsay was too stupid to know it: Lindsay's mayoralty was effectively ended after that -- at least the part that counted. After that Lindsay couldn't get anyone to give him the time of day. I've got a feeling that we're going to see Trump get the same treatment.
                              Last edited by slick_miester; 30 Mar 17, 16:45.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X