Trump didn't get luxury-model Air Force One

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump didn't get luxury-model Air Force One

KIRKLAND, Wash. (AP) A widely shared story that claims to include photos of a recently delivered plane that will serve as Air Force One for President Donald Trump is false. The pictures included in the story do not show the presidential plane and are conceptual renderings from an outfitter of luxury aircraft.

Versions of the story posted by usanewsflash.com and freedomdaily.com said Trump negotiated luxurious accommodations for the plane and the interior now resembles that of Trump's apartment in New York's Trump Tower. The accounts includes photos of what they say is the interior of the plane.
    http://bigstory.ap.org/article/40ee3...-air-force-one

An example of the misappropriated photos:

If they had claimed that the the exterior would have been made to resemble the Trump Tower, then i would have been impressed...
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, it is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed. The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion

Comment

Was about to post that I think making s**t up to attack Trump (I'm not a fan BTW) is unethical and self-defeating, only to see the two websites cited are defenders of Trump?

Reminds me of an opinion piece in National Review about how Romney should have flaunted his wealth https://www.nationalreview.com/nrd/articles/313504/boss which would have been more entertaining, at least. I wonder how much Trump's wealth contributes to his fanbase. Without it he certainly wouldn't be on the map.
      You, the mothers, who sent their sons from faraway countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace, after having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.

-- Ataturk

Comment

Originally posted by Crackshot View Post
        Was about to post that I think making s**t up to attack Trump (I'm not a fan BTW) is unethical and self-defeating, only to see the two websites cited are defenders of Trump?

Reminds me of an opinion piece in National Review about how Romney should have flaunted his wealth https://www.nationalreview.com/nrd/articles/313504/boss which would have been more entertaining, at least. I wonder how much Trump's wealth contributes to his fanbase. Without it he certainly wouldn't be on the map.
        Trump's appeal is what he is, not what he has. What he is, is not a professional politician selling the same old same old.

I think if his wealth does him any good, it is in the context of success. He earned his money himself.
        Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
          Trump's appeal is what he is, not what he has. What he is, is not a professional politician selling the same old same old.

I think if his wealth does him any good, it is in the context of success. He earned his money himself.
          Other than all the help given to him by his family connections, including an inheritance of $40 million (in 1974 dollars, which makes it about $195 million in 2017 dollars), and the legions of people working for him, yes I guess he earned his money himself.

Money makes money. It has been calculated that if Trump had invested his 1978 net worth ($100 mil) into a standard index fund, he would have $6 billion today. This is ~2x his actual current estimated net worth, meaning that he under-performed the overall market over a 40 year period by a significant degree. And it's not a secret why - for every gamble that paid off, another failed, often spectacularly.

Trump's appeal is multifaceted. It's certainly not exclusively down to being an outsider, or being a businessman. It's both of those things but only in parts. Telling people he's going to stop the Muslims from coming into the country appeals to racists. Telling people he's going to build a wall with Mexico appeals to racists. Telling people he's going to start winning wars appeals to hawks. Telling people he's going to bring all the jobs back appeals to those that the recovery passed over. His climate science denial appeals to some people. His shouting about how Obama was a Kenyan for years appeals to some people. His crass behavior is for some reason appealing to people for "telling it like it is" or some such nonsense. He also benefited from the multi-decade hit job that the republican have been running on Hillary.

Oh and of course, the active measures of a foreign intelligence service.

Comment

Originally posted by ThoseDeafMutes View Post
            Other than all the help given to him by his family connections, including an inheritance of $40 million (in 1974 dollars, which makes it about $195 million in 2017 dollars), and the legions of people working for him, yes I guess he earned his money himself.

Money makes money. It has been calculated that if Trump had invested his 1978 net worth ($100 mil) into a standard index fund, he would have $6 billion today. This is ~2x his actual current estimated net worth, meaning that he under-performed the overall market over a 40 year period by a significant degree. And it's not a secret why - for every gamble that paid off, another failed, often spectacularly.

Trump's appeal is multifaceted. It's certainly not exclusively down to being an outsider, or being a businessman. It's both of those things but only in parts. Telling people he's going to stop the Muslims from coming into the country appeals to racists. Telling people he's going to build a wall with Mexico appeals to racists. Telling people he's going to start winning wars appeals to hawks. Telling people he's going to bring all the jobs back appeals to those that the recovery passed over. His climate science denial appeals to some people. His shouting about how Obama was a Kenyan for years appeals to some people. His crass behavior is for some reason appealing to people for "telling it like it is" or some such nonsense. He also benefited from the multi-decade hit job that the republican have been running on Hillary.

Oh and of course, the active measures of a foreign intelligence service.
            Post of the year! Of course his supporters won't like it.
            Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Please do not make personal comments about fellow forum members - even obliquely - ACG staff
              Last edited by Skoblin; 30 Mar 17, 01:48.
              "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X