Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do Americans feel as though the US is damned if it does and damned if it doesn’t?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hida Akechi View Post
    Made up fantasy wars, I'm assuming from the complete ignorant post he made.
    Certainly no war he fought in.
    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Rojik View Post
      Of course. 99% are great people with great hearts. But that 1% can never be allowed to go unchallenged.

If they do, as I think the times are letting them, then one day the rest of us will throw our hands up and say 'have fun. It's all yours'

I'm honestly sick of the ignorant, arrogant yanks here. They drown out the good people of their land and **** on the rest of the world. They are quick to blame and fast to forget.

MM is a serial offender that I find a loathsome person. But that's OK. Plenty more of them out there of all nations. I can deal with that. But I will NEVER EVER EVER let him **** on the sacrifices we have made in US wars. And neither should any other ally.

Where was the US when the Falklands war happened? Where were they backing up a loyal ally?

Where was the US when France was invaded in 14 and 40? Navel gazing. The US's oldest ally hung out to dry. But when they didn't want to join a war based on lies they got the MM treatment.

Where was the US when we were 5 seconds from a serious shooting war with Indonesia over East Timor? Hello? Anyone home?

Look up the Athenian Empire. Hegemons do not last unless it's a two way street. One day when they are down and desperately need their allies, they will find that their allies have been kicked one too many times and will probably shrug and say 'sorry, domestic matters mean we can't help'

US were no allies of France in 1914, France had only one ally in 1914 : Russia, in 1940 France had only one ally : Britain .

And in 1914 the alliance between France and Russia existed only on paper.

Britain was NOT US oldest ally .

Since more than 50 years it is very popular in Europe to cry : Yankee go home. Now they are begging : Yankee come back .

Comment

Originally posted by Rojik View Post
        Oh geez, just off the top off my head... Vietnam... Iraq II... whatever the hell you are doing in the imbroglio of Syria / Iraq today... Afghanistan...

I'll give you a part pass on Korea because it was a UN action... still bloody pointless and costly though. Also a part pass on Iraq I because it was a nasty thing Saddam did to Kuwait, even if Kuwait is a middle ages kingdom and Saddam was your love child until he stopped being your dog on the leash.

But that's not the point. Australian blood was shed in all these places BECAUSE YOU ASKED FOR OUR HELP. And the thanks we get is getting told we are hangers on that bleed you dry.

Oh, and the rest of the world loved how you came late to both world wars and then claimed the win. Sheesh. Like I said: one day you will call and no-one will come. I hope that day is soon.
        AND US blood was shed because Australia asked the US for help .
        There is nothing wrong being a middle ages kingdom if the people of Kuweit are satisfied with it .

Comment

Keep the discussion polite and robust

[QUOTE Mountain Man
          Respect for whom?

The poster here asked why we felt the way we do, and we are answering. If you don't like the answers, or can't handle those answers, do not read them and do not comment.
          Oh come !!
          Think about how silly that sounds.
          How the hell are you going to know if you like or dislike what someone is saying if you don't read the bloody thing if the first place?
          The whole purpose if the Forum is to foster robust discussion and allow various and contending opinions to be aired surely.

If you think someone is taking BS then post your reasons and make them look silly, it's much more effective.
          Don't tell people to shut up just for the sake of it...please.
          Cripes mate why would you want to live in gerbil runaround echo-chamber, hearing only opinions you agreed with?
          That's the approach a lot of people take and the trap they've fallen into with the incredibly quick 'uptake' of the internet.
          Many people don't use it to see different opinions they just want their prejudices and stereotypes reinforced.
          That's exactly what I don't want this threadstarter to become. That's why I asked the question as I did.

And if you yourself have not served in your own military, say nothing at all because you haven't earned the right to do so.
          More silliness, most people on the ACG Forum probably haven't served. It's a history and current events discussion forum NOT a veteran's forum.

I'm sure that over the years you've written about and commented on many topics, experience, nations, events and phenomenon you have no direct involvement with.

Regards
          lodestar

Comment

HAR!

It took about 2 dozen threads started by you before I finally got you to participate in em!

The basis of this one might be one of em!

Color me impressed!

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

lodestar sprung!

Originally posted by Admiral View Post
              HAR!

It took about 2 dozen threads started by you before I finally got you to participate in em!

The basis of this one might be one of em!

Color me impressed!

Yeah ya got me Ad.
              Terrible habit I've got of starting what I think might be interesting threads then promptly not participating further!
              My fault entirely.

Too many demons in my head, too many household/retirement and spousal obligations, too many other interests, too many women who need me to make 'em happy, too many grandfatherly duties, too many ideas swirling and coalescing in a phantasmagorical, psychedelic, kaleidoscopic, megalomaniacal multiverse of creative and imaginative turbulence!

In short NOT ENOUGH TIME!

I do participate more in my WWII thread-starters - but that's not an excuse for not contributing more in the current events threads I start.
              Will try and do better.

There are few certainties in life or in the world, but that lodestar will end up in an unmarked, shallow grave in a desolate, forsaken, wind-blown corner of a remote, barren and unknown land, is surely one of them! (which I'm sure some posters would have no problem with)

Regards lodestar

Comment

Originally posted by ljadw View Post
                US were no allies of France in 1914, France had only one ally in 1914 : Russia, in 1940 France had only one ally : Britain .

And in 1914 the alliance between France and Russia existed only on paper.

Britain was NOT US oldest ally .

Since more than 50 years it is very popular in Europe to cry : Yankee go home. Now they are begging : Yankee come back .
                But he didn't say Britain was the US oldest ally, did he ?
                That title belongs to Portugal.
                The point being made was that FRANCE was the USA's oldest ally After all ,it was the French that ensured American independence.
                Didn't some American officer upon arriving in Paris in 1917 exclaim, "Lafayette, We are here?( Nous Voila,Lafayette" ) Perhaps he, at least ,had a conscience and a sense of history.
                Last edited by BELGRAVE; 29 Mar 17, 01:53.
                "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
                Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by ljadw View Post
                  AND US blood was shed because Australia asked the US for help .
                  There is nothing wrong being a middle ages kingdom if the people of Kuweit are satisfied with it .
                  When was that then ?
                  If the Japanese had not attacked Pearl Harbor first, would there have been a US presence here ? This is not to say, of course ,that the US alliance-and friendship- was, and is, greatly valued ,but Foreign Affairs are not usually conducted through altruism alone.
                  Last edited by BELGRAVE; 29 Mar 17, 02:07.
                  "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
                  Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Blah blah blah
                    We hunt the hunters

Comment

Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post
                      Blah blah blah
                      So how about contributing a killer,in-depth comment yourself ?
                      Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                        Well, you Europeans used to know how to fight really good and bloody wars... Except Belgium who was a doormat for those fighting them...
                        Belgium is somewhat of freak accident of history.

Belgians on the other hand fought on both sides of every noteworthy European war, quite literrally since the beginning of written history in these parts.

There are a few things we can teach you still, from a military historical pov. you're mere toddlers
                        Major Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Game.

Comment

Originally posted by VinceW View Post
                          I don't blame you ugly Americans deserve the same respect that they give others but most other Americans aren't and do show respect to their allies sacrifices.

Emphasis mine.....if this thread and countless others are any indication, I would say this statement is hysterically false. Those that DO take this into consideration are, - I'm convinced - in the minority while the vast majority not only do not care, there are more than likely not even aware of it.

The fact remains, far too many people are completely unawares of what an Alliance is, and it's purpose, which is to share the burden of the cost. Nations in conflict which are far more heavily invested politically will naturally invest more militarily and there is nothing rational in believing that your allies are obligated to follow suit unless there is a mutual interest.....

.....but when they do, it would behoove the larger nations to pay tribute to the allied dead of smaller nations, for by shouldering the burden of blood they reduced the number of flag-draped coffins being returned to the larger nations. Far too often, I think this fact is completely lost.
                          You'll live, only the best get killed.

-General Charles de Gaulle

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X