Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When did the US media's stance on Russia change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did the US media's stance on Russia change?

There is a divergence now with the right wing becoming more pro-Russian, while the left wing is becoming more anti-russian as they try to hang Trump.

When did the Right wing break with the traditional suspicion of the Russian interests?
    Zhitomir-Berdichev, West of Kiev: 24 Dec 1943-31 Jan 1944
    Stalin's Favorite: The Combat History of the 2nd Guards Tank Army
    Barbarossa Derailed I & II
    Battle of Kalinin October 1941

When they became supporters of then candidate Trump. Anything was more important than letting Mrs Clinton win.
    “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
    “To talk of many things:
    Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
    Of cabbages—and kings—
    And why the sea is boiling hot—
    And whether pigs have wings.”
    ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by Cult Icon View Post
      There is a divergence now with the right wing becoming more pro-Russian, while the left wing is becoming more anti-russian as they try to hang Trump.

When did the Right wing break with the traditional suspicion of the Russian interests?
      just last year due to Trump. and party politics taking over.

Although I am truly surprised by the number of Republicans that are in denial of what occurred. There is room for both thinking the Russians helped out Trump and that he would of won anyways. But no

Comment

When Communism failed and was replaced by graft, greed, and Capitalism...

Comment

Oh I still don't trust the Russians especially since I got a series of viruses from clicking a link here. Cost me $250 to clear up that nasty bit of work.
          Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
            When Communism failed and was replaced by graft, greed, and Capitalism...
            Oh my.... really?
            “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
            “To talk of many things:
            Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
            Of cabbages—and kings—
            And why the sea is boiling hot—
            And whether pigs have wings.”
            ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by craven View Post
              just last year due to Trump. and party politics taking over.

Although I am truly surprised by the number of Republicans that are in denial of what occurred. There is room for both thinking the Russians helped out Trump and that he would of won anyways. But no
              The Russians didn't help out Trump.

The truth coming out about the Hillabeast's corrupt practices, and her "Its my turn" campaign did all the heavy lifting.

As to the Russian switch, when the DNC needed a scapegoat and chose Russia rather than accept their defeat and learn from it, the GOP embraced Russia for one reason: it really annoys liberals.

Upsetting liberals is enough reason to do anything.
              Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                The Russians didn't help out Trump.

The truth coming out about the Hillabeast's corrupt practices, and her "Its my turn" campaign did all the heavy lifting.

As to the Russian switch, when the DNC needed a scapegoat and chose Russia rather than accept their defeat and learn from it, the GOP embraced Russia for one reason: it really annoys liberals.

Upsetting liberals is enough reason to do anything.
                If it hurts the other guy then it helped you out

why cant you admit that. You said the truth coming out. If not for the Russians the truth doesn't come out.

Comment

The right's suspicions were not of Russia per se, but of communism, which was the only political ideology legally practiced in the Soviet Union. The left only became suspicious when the USSR broke up and the Russian Federation ceased being a one-party communist state.
                  I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

From the title of the thread, I would say the media's stance on Russia changed here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsFR8DbSRQE

The media pretty much swept that under the rug. In the Cold War had that happened, the media would have jumped hard on the President. Had Trump said that......the media would have also jumped hard on him.
                    "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

[QUOTE=Arnold J Rimmer;3344136]The Russians didn't help out Trump.

Upsetting liberals is enough reason to do anything. [/QUOTE

Don't forget the screwing that the DNC did to Bernie, lots of people on the left were really ticked about that...
                      Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

The left started hating Russia when it became politically expedient to do so. In 2012 it wasn't politically expedient, hence Romney being told "the 80s called and want their foreign policy back". In 2016 it was expedient to hate Russia because all other external threats were either created or worsened by Obama/Hillary, and therefore would taint the election against Hillary's foreign policy experience.

Additionally, the whole Ukranian question, and the way the EU handled things in that vein. The EU currently has a hard on for Russia, and Putin in particular, which means that the American Left, who adores the EU, also has a hard on for Russia/Putin.

Russia hasn't really changed in the last decade. They've always been regionally aggressive against their neighbors when given the opportunity. Putin's always been an a$$hole. Since the fall of Communism they've always been a bit of an economic basket case, very susceptible to bubbles and the vagaries of the market. I can suspect Russia at all times while not hating them....they're as predictable as the Rasputitsa.....I can also Respect Putin without adoring him, he's all about his country's interests (which are also his interests).
                        Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                          The right's suspicions were not of Russia per se, but of communism, which was the only political ideology legally practiced in the Soviet Union. The left only became suspicious when the USSR broke up and the Russian Federation ceased being a one-party communist state.
                          Not just the Soviets. The right, as in the mainstream Republican Party was suspicious of Putin under Bush, with reason. It was Obama who tried to appease Putin with his 'reset'.

It is only since the rise of Trump that the Republicans reversed their opinion and now it is they who seek to appease Putin.
                          "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Starting around the time of the annexation of Crimea. Before then, stories about Russia had been minor things - a bit of corruption here, some big wig business leader being arrested there. After that, the "threat" of Russia reasserted itself after decades of Russia being just in a sorry state. Russian actions in Crimea - the lying about their invasion as a major point - created an atmosphere of doubt and suspicion about Russia and Russian motives.

Thus when it is claimed that not only was there hacking being done against a candidate during an election, but it this newly dreaded Russia could be behind it, it brought Russia front and center into the daily lives of many Americans.

It's a combination of factors mixed together. Increasing concern about Russia mixed with a large percentage of Americans considering Trump's presidency illegitimate and with growing partisan divides has given the story legs. That it ties directly into one of the core elements of American democracy only makes the issue that much more sensitive.

At the end of the day it has less to do with views on Russia and more to do with the domestic elements. If Trump had won by a landslide, of if he had been the victim of the hacks, then the issue would have died mostly because it didn't really matter. But because there are so many who are still bitter and angry over Trump winning without the popular vote, it feeds into the "maybe he didn't really win the election".

It's the same sort of mentality behind conservatives who think liberals only win because of illegal voters: they have to be up to something sketchy, and I have sorta evidence to prove as much!

Comment

Originally posted by craven View Post
                              If it hurts the other guy then it helped you out

why cant you admit that. You said the truth coming out. If not for the Russians the truth doesn't come out.
                              Wikileaks got the truth out.

But if it were the Russians, it was still the truth.

And the truth set us free from the Hillabeast.

And yes, if it hurts liberals, it is good. I've said that many times.

But there has yet to be a single shred of evidence that ties the Russians to the Wikileaks exposure of DNC corruption..
                              Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X