Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will the Democrats fillibuster the Gorsuch nomination?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Dems might, being fired up about their temporary victory against Trumpcare. But I don't think the GOP will take that lying down - they can't afford to suffer back to back electoral upsets, and they will not tolerate an attempt by the Dems to go for the extra point.

Comment

Meanwhile 2 democrats have declared that they will vote FOR the nomination of Gorsuch : Manchin (WV) and Heitkamp (ND ).

Comment

Originally posted by ljadw View Post
        Meanwhile 2 democrats have declared that they will vote FOR the nomination of Gorsuch : Manchin (WV) and Heitkamp (ND ).
        The Dems are trying to bring a coalition together to resist him, but I'm not seeing much room for it. The Dems just held strong against TrumpCare - going 2 for 2 will be challenging, especially for Dems in purple states. Especially as Gorsuch lacks a big "ah ha!" element to his nomination to rally around. Without it, the Dems will struggle to justify their actions and it could easily be seen as petty obstructionism - or worse, if they filibuster and lose, will give them an air of impotence in Washington.

The Dems just scored a major victory - they don't want to suffer a defeat now. Though the Dem leadership aren't known for being the most acute of strategists.

Comment

Originally posted by Bass_Man86 View Post
          And what do you have to say about McConnell and the rest of his buddies not even giving Judge Garland a hearing?
          Bass_Man, what goes around, comes around, Schumer is also developing a memory of convenience when it comes to Garland not getting a hearing I seem to remember him saying that no nominee should get a hearing that close to an election, that was just a few years ago, I just cant find the video right now and Biden said essentially the same thing in 1992, see the video below, how quickly they forget.
          https://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/23/u...1992.html?_r=0
          Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Originally posted by ljadw View Post
            There are a few other Dems in Red States due up for re-election in 2018- Donnelly of Indiana and Tester of Montana. They would need four more but it's not likely...

{}

"Any story sounds true until someone tells the other side and sets the record straight." -Proverbs 18:17

Comment

Democrats have been pining for the "good ole days" of the Cold War...

Yeehaw...
              {}

"Any story sounds true until someone tells the other side and sets the record straight." -Proverbs 18:17

Comment

Liberal groups press party to abandon Dems who back Gorsuch

A coalition of liberal groups is putting pressure on the Democratic Party not to help centrist Democrats running for reelection next year if they vote for President Trumpís Supreme Court nominee, Judge Neil Gorsuch.

Liberal activist leaders plan to deliver a petition Monday to the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee (DSCC) urging party leaders not to give campaign funds to any senator who votes for Gorsuch or strikes a deal to advance his nomination.

Sens. Joe Manchin (W.Va.) and Heidi Heitkamp (N.D.) on Thursday became the first Democrats to say they will back ending debate on Gorsuch and advancing his nomination. Another 37 Democrats have come out in opposition to Trumpís nominee, according to The Hillís Whip List. The remaining nine Democrats are undecided or unclear.
                http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/3...o-back-gorsuch

We just saw the same thing with the GOP: ideology is a secondary concern to reelection, especially for those in purple districts. The left and right wings can't force politicians to sacrifice their own careers needlessly.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X