Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will the Democrats fillibuster the Gorsuch nomination?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will the Democrats fillibuster the Gorsuch nomination?

Anybody else been watching the hearings for Supreme Court Justice this week? Pretty tame affair compared to the theatrics of the past Bork, Thomas to name a couple, but then the dems had their heavyweights like Kennedy, Simon, Biden, Dodd, etc back then not the boneheads they got now. Leahy looks bored and Feinstein is stuck on abortion and guns like its the 80's still. The rest of em look and sound constipated. Except for Al. He is quite animated but the judge aint giving him much to work with. Think the Dems Filibuster? Will the Repubs go Nuke Option if they do?

Al Franken and Chuck Schumer are idiots. They collectively couldn't solve 2 + 2. Schumer says he'll filibuster. I think that's a malicious mistake here. If the Democrats say "NO!" to everything the Republicans do, they're digging themselves a hole for the midterms.
    It's one thing for the Republicans to screw stuff up on their own, like the botched repeal and replace on Obamacare so far. But, Gorsuch is a reasonable SC candidate. Shooting him down just to spite the Republicans isn't buying them anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystikeye View Post
      Anybody else been watching the hearings for Supreme Court Justice this week? Pretty tame affair compared to the theatrics of the past Bork, Thomas to name a couple, but then the dems had their heavyweights like Kennedy, Simon, Biden, Dodd, etc back then not the boneheads they got now. Leahy looks bored and Feinstein is stuck on abortion and guns like its the 80's still. The rest of em look and sound constipated. Except for Al. He is quite animated but the judge aint giving him much to work with. Think the Dems Filibuster? Will the Repubs go Nuke Option if they do?
      I don't give a sh-t what the democrats do, he will be confirmed, one way or the other, the stupid democrats made their own bed.
      Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Relatively strong speculation seems to be that the Crits would - regardless of their tough talk publicly - cut a deal to confirm Gorsuch such as to keep the Pugs from going nuclear. Their eye & the deal will be relevant to the next SC nominee. That don't mean that they won't begin a filibuster, just that Gorsuch will get the votes that make it nothing more than a D&P show for their constituents, if they actually start one at all.

The SML almost seems to be virtually at the point of just going nuclear & being done with it, though, so we'll see what we see.

But again, that is all still speculation, strong or not.

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

To me its all about land rights. I've got several million board feet of old growth red woods. Big honking trees. Can I harvest them? Nope. Damn liberals. I'd like payment for the protection of them.

They are a hazard in a storm btw, a 300' tree coming down is a hazard, I had a 50' oak come down recently so I'm good with firewood. Except wood stoves are now considered not a viable option...

I'm selling this house to some rich yuppie who wants nature up close and personal. Any takers? Mountain Lions not optional, included in the deal. Protected species and all that...
          Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Mystikeye View Post
            ...Think the Dems Filibuster?...
            Schumer is saying they will.

...Will the Repubs go Nuke Option if they do?...
            Possibly.

Comment

Schumer and the dems will threaten to filibuster and maybe even go so far as to start one. IMO it won't last very long. Schumer has a limited vocabulary and it makes all the dems look bad to their constituents. I think the rank and file of our fine citizens are like, "Can we just get ON with this already? I'm sick and tired of the damn idiots in Washington still not getting anything done. Put on yer big boy pants and stop snitchin' for nothing but spite!"
              ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
              IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Originally posted by Jose50 View Post
                (...) Schumer has a limited vocabulary and it makes all the dems look bad to their constituents:
                Can't he just read Donald's tweets out loud.

that should take him into the next term
                High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                  Al Franken and Chuck Schumer are idiots. They collectively couldn't solve 2 + 2. Schumer says he'll filibuster. I think that's a malicious mistake here. If the Democrats say "NO!" to everything the Republicans do, they're digging themselves a hole for the midterms.
                  It's one thing for the Republicans to screw stuff up on their own, like the botched repeal and replace on Obamacare so far. But, Gorsuch is a reasonable SC candidate. Shooting him down just to spite the Republicans isn't buying them anything.
                  Not at all. The GOP in the Senate will simple nuke the rules and allow passage of SC Nominee's with only 51 votes. Which is a good thing, now all we need is the nuking of the entire Filibuster concept. Needs to go in the dust bin of history. It worked until political parties devolved from organizations of grown ups and statesmen into the current collection partisan hacks and demands of 'purity' from the extreme 'base' of both parties.
                  “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
                  “To talk of many things:
                  Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
                  Of cabbages—and kings—
                  And why the sea is boiling hot—
                  And whether pigs have wings.”
                  ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                    And what do you have to say about McConnell and the rest of his buddies not even giving Judge Garland a hearing?
                    Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

Initiated Chief Petty Officer
                    Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!

Comment

Originally posted by Bass_Man86 View Post
                      And what do you have to say about McConnell and the rest of his buddies not even giving Judge Garland a hearing?
                      "neener, neener, neener!"?
                      ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                      IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Originally posted by Bass_Man86 View Post
                        They could have easily drug the process out to ensure he didn't get a vote before the election. Given how Harry Reid ran the Senate, I'd say it's payback. Reid, was easily one of the worst Senate leaders from either party in many decades. His obstruction of everything and anything, along with taking the "nuclear option," really did a lot to destroy any bipartisan efforts in that body.
                        In politics, you make the bed you lay on many times through previous actions. Even Obama did that. He didn't work with Congress on virtually anything. So, his previous actions effected his future ones.

Garland probably deserved a hearing. But, Obama and Reid ensured he wasn't going to get one. Bipartisan cuts both ways. Right now, there is little, if any, bipartisan anything going on in Washington.

Comment

I noticed the primary reason many Democrats are saying they support a filibuster against Gorsuch is based on Progressive dogma, and little more.

For instance:

California Sen. Kamala Harris and Washington Sen. Patty Murray both said that they believe the Denver-based appeals court judge has ruled too often against workers and in favor of corporations.

Gorsuch "failed to answer questions that are critical for me — his position on the rights of working mothers, whether women can choose their own health care decisions, LGBTQ rights and dark money in our elections, to name a few," (Tom) Udall (D-NM) said.
                          http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politi...cid=spartandhp

That's dogmatic, not questioning his ability to rule fairly under law. The Supreme Court should not be making rulings on the basis of opinions and personal feelings, but rather on what the law is as written and the meaning of those laws.
                          To do the former makes the Supreme Court noting but a political outlet for driving the country in the direction those that sit on it want to go. While that's always fine in Leftist governed countries like Cuba or Venezuela, it should hardly sit well with Americans.

In his rulings for corporations over workers, if the law was on the side of the corporations, then they should of won. That didn't come up. It was simply dogmatic badgering from Democrats that he didn't automatically side with workers. Where are we, the old Soviet Union?
                          If Democrats don't like laws that gave corporations their win in court they should work to change them, not expect judges to just throw out the law and do as they please. But, that seems what we've come down to expect from the Left.

Comment

I hope they do filibuster. 2018 is a pivotal time; the GOP is unlikely to lose either side of the aisle, but the DNC can really bury itself.

If they do nothing more than react to GOP initiatives and spout dogma, they will lose big time in coming elections.
                            Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                              I hope they do filibuster. 2018 is a pivotal time; the GOP is unlikely to lose either side of the aisle, but the DNC can really bury itself.

If they do nothing more than react to GOP initiatives and spout dogma, they will lose big time in coming elections.
                              This is posted as the GOP hangs itself in the House and White House over Repeal and Replace....

God it's a good time not to be a blind party follower...

“The time has come,” the Walrus said,
                              “To talk of many things:
                              Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
                              Of cabbages—and kings—
                              And why the sea is boiling hot—
                              And whether pigs have wings.”
                              ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X