Surveillance findings raise concern about spying on Trump campaign

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Admiral View Post
    Well, now we likely have a clue why "unmasking' tasks - once exclusively held tight within the NSA only - were expanded to all the other intel agencies by the former pPresident after the election...

The unmasking of private US citizens - not (yet) in government service - and then the flooding of intel - until then held by the NSA exclusively until disseminated on specifically authorized needs to know - into all the other 16 intel agencies is, by far, the greatest & gravest travesty in the entire witch hunt. Specific surveillance of pre-election campaign staff would be bad - no public signs of that at this point - but even "incidental" post election/pre-innaugeration unmasking & dissemination that flies entirely in the face of FISA mandate is even worse. That action by the former pResident (expanding the task of unmasking & non-essential dissemination to the other 16 agencies without specific need to know) is entirely unacceptable to those that actually hold their Constitutional Rights most dear & now become nothing more than a failing last gasp impediment aimed squarely at the current pResident.

Oh, wait... my, and all of your, Constitutional Rights do not rise to the heights of import in terms of partisan - no matter what side - political hack-jabbery...

Never mind!

That was Obamas way of laying Landmines for Trump, Obama was aware that he still had a lot of support in the federal bureaucracy and a lot of hangers on, especially in the intelligence community so he disseminated a lot of information to people which had no need to know, just for political purposes and to be a PITA for Trump.
    Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Actually, and I clarified the actuality later, what the NSA gathered previous to the change, the NSA -as the gatherer of foreign intel - was tasked with masking incidental Americans before dissemination to other agencies. Any agency that gathered intel was to do so before disseminating to the others. The January, 2017 change flung open the doors which allowed authorized individuals in any of the other 16 to see the ID of the incidental American regardless of the need to know. IOW, the small group within any agency that had the task of minimization/masking/ummasking was vastly multiplied across the agencies > need to know be damned. And it is this that multiplied the potential for leaks. Sen Gowdy, I believe, asked the FBI Director if several > specific< people in the Administration could have seen the unmasked names of incidental Americans & in each case the Director answered, under oath, to the affirmative.

So, yes, this allowed the former pResident to indirectly become a PITA to the current pResident by proxy of leaks.

As for the previous pResident, though he enabled it, he will always be able to rest upon plausible deniability for the leaks... unless somebody flips on him & can prove it, or he was sloppy, which is highly unlikely.

But lose the politics for a moment & consider that, if left as is, WE, ALL OF US, are no longer significantly protected as previously required, an incidental American can be spied upon, WO FISA warrant, by 'reverse' mining of legally gathered intel - even if the reason the intel was legally gathered is entirely unrelated to the incidental American. And though that is still technically illegal, it is much easier, much more likely & the leaking of it, also still illegal, is manifoldly much more likely as a result.

Somebody needs to swing for the leaks & the minimization flood gates must be closed again!

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

Somebody needs to swing for the leaks & the minimization flood gates must be closed again!

[/LEFT]
        [/CENTER]
        Which leaks are you concerned about?

As far as I am aware the only named individual in leaks was Flynn, who deserved to be fired for simple stupidity.

Comment

Food for thought

Hi folks. I don't claim to be an expert in daily beltway cloak-and-dagger operations and I've read some of your opinions with mixed feelings of hilarity, consternation, surprise and incredulity. I just read pat Buchanan's weekly rant and he seems to make sense about this whole 'we're out to get ya no matter what' campaign that those who are against anything that the president does. I've posted it here for your edification. As always, Mr. Buchanan freely encourages all to share his columns.

An Obama Plot to Sabotage Trump?
          By Patrick J. Buchanan

Friday - March 24, 2017

Devin Nunes just set the cat down among the pigeons.

Two days after FBI Director James Comey assured us there was no truth to President Trump's tweet about being wiretapped by Barack Obama, the chairman of the House Intelligence Committee said Trump may have had more than just a small point.

The U.S. intelligence community, says Nunes, during surveillance of legitimate targets, picked up the names of Trump transition officials during surveillance of targets, "unmasked" their identity, and spread their names around, virtually assuring they would be leaked.

If true, this has the look and smell of a conspiracy to sabotage the Trump presidency, before it began.

Comey readily confirmed there was no evidence to back up the Trump tweet. But when it came to electronic surveillance of Trump and his campaign, Comey, somehow, could not comment on that.

Which raises the question: What is the real scandal here?

Is it that Russians hacked the DNC and John Podesta's emails and handed them off to WikiLeaks? We have heard that since June.

Is it that Trump officials may have colluded with the Russians?

But former Director of National Intelligence James Clapper and ex-CIA Director Mike Morrell have both said they saw no evidence of this.

This March, Sen. Chris Coons walked back his stunning declaration about transcripts showing a Russia-Trump collusion, confessing, "I have no hard evidence of collusion."

But if Clapper and Morrell saw no Russia-Trump collusion, what were they looking at during all those months to make them so conclude?

Was it "FBI transcripts," as Sen. Coons blurted out?

If so, who intercepted and transcribed the conversations? If it was intel agencies engaged in surveillance, who authorized that? How extensive was it? Against whom? Is it still going on?

And if today, after eight months, the intel agencies cannot tell us whether or not any member of the Trump team colluded with the Russians, what does that say of their competence?

The real scandal, which the media regard as a diversion from the primary target, Trump, is that a Deep State conspiracy to bring down his presidency seems to have been put in place by Obamaites, and perhaps approved by Obama himself.

Consider. On Jan. 12, David Ignatius of the Washington Post wrote,

"According to a senior U.S. government official, (Gen. Michael) Flynn phoned Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak several times on Dec. 29, the day the Obama administration announced the expulsion of 35 Russian officials ... What did Flynn say?"

Now, on Dec. 29, Flynn, national security adviser-designate, was not only doing his job calling the ambassador, he was a private citizen.

Why was he unmasked by U.S. intelligence?

Who is this "senior official" who dropped the dime on him? Could this official have known how many times Flynn spoke to Kislyak, yet not known what was said on the calls?

That is hard to believe. This looks like a contract hit by an anti-Trump agent in the intel community, using Ignatius to do the wet work.

Flynn was taken down. Did Comey turn his FBI loose to ferret out the felon who had unmasked Flynn and done him in? If not, why not?

In today's Wall Street Journal, Dan Henninger points anew to a story in The New York Times of March 1 that began:

"In the Obama administration's last days, some White House officials scrambled to spread information about Russian efforts to undermine the presidential election and about possible contacts between associates of President-elect Trump and Russians across the government."

"This is what they did," wrote Henninger, quoting the Times:

"At intelligence agencies, there was a push to process as much raw intelligence as possible into analyses, and to keep the reports at a relatively low classification level to ensure as wide a readership as possible across the government and, in some cases, among European allies."

For what benign purpose would U.S. intelligence agents spread secrets damaging to their own president to foreign regimes? Is this not disloyalty? Is this not sedition?

On Jan. 12, writes Henninger, the Times "reported that Attorney General Loretta Lynch signed rules that let the National Security Agency disseminate 'raw signals intelligence information' to 16 other intelligence agencies."

Astounding. The Obamaites seeded the U.S. and allied intel communities with IEDs to be detonated on Trump's arrival. This is the scandal, not Trump telling Vlad to go find Hillary's 30,000 missing emails.

We need to know who colluded with the Russians, if anyone did. But more critically, we need to unearth the deep state conspiracy to sabotage a presidency.

So far, the Russia-connection investigation has proven a dry hole. But an investigation into who in the FBI, CIA or NSA is unmasking U.S. citizens and criminally leaking information to a Trump-hating press to destroy a president they are sworn to serve could prove to be a gusher.

As for the reports of Lynch-White House involvement in this unfolding plot to damage and destroy Trump the real question is: What did Barack Obama know, and when did he know it?
          ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
          IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Originally posted by Jose50 View Post
            Hi folks. I don't claim to be an expert in daily beltway cloak-and-dagger operations and I've read some of your opinions with mixed feelings of hilarity, consternation, surprise and incredulity. I just read pat Buchanan's weekly rant and he seems to make sense about this whole 'we're out to get ya no matter what' campaign that those who are against anything that the president does. I've posted it here for your edification. As always, Mr. Buchanan freely encourages all to share his columns.

An Obama Plot to Sabotage Trump?
            By Patrick J. Buchanan

Friday - March 24, 2017

Devin Nunes just set the cat down among the pigeons.

Two days after FBI Director James Comey assured us there was no truth to President Trump's tweet about being wiretapped by Barack Obama, the chairman of the House Intelligence Committee said Trump may have had more than just a small point.

The U.S. intelligence community, says Nunes, during surveillance of legitimate targets, picked up the names of Trump transition officials during surveillance of targets, "unmasked" their identity, and spread their names around, virtually assuring they would be leaked.

If true, this has the look and smell of a conspiracy to sabotage the Trump presidency, before it began.
            Except that Nunes is busy backtracking:

The office of Rep. Devin Nunes (R-CA) now concedes that the House Intelligence Committee chair is not sure that the intelligence community ever incidentally collected communications from President Donald Trump or members of his transition team.
            http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewir...tal-collection

Comment

That is basically the general way of things, anyway, lass... I concur, they do it, we do it, nothing new on surveillance of foreign diplomats or those in their missions.

BTW, I hate politics, that's why I never take me eyes off of it, I certainly would never wish to become one.

that should be lad

Roslyn just where I live

you may recognize it from Northern Exposure. Also was used in the first year of the Man in the High Tower

http://www.moosefest.org/about/roslyn/

Comment

Out of the interest... Are US government officials sworn to serve the president like the claimed expert asserts or are they sworn to serve/uphold the constitution?
                It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, it is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed. The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion

Comment

The pResident is the Constitutional Chief Executive.

As far as the Constitution is concerned, the pResidents official oath is the only one that says "Protect"... the closest all others come is "Defend".

There are traditional, Constitutional, & even a few statutory limits, but a pResident can generally stand upon their sole oath to Protect the Constitution...

But that don't make them Sovereign... Constitutionally speaking, that would specifically be WE THE PEOPLE.

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X