2020 US election

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 US election

Can the democratic party manage to field a person to stand for the office of potus in the 2020 election that the Donald can defeat?Discuss.
    Wack tac mac hey.
    Regards.
    Grishnak.

Man, we just got over 2016.

It is far too soon to say. Right now the DNC is in shambles, and until it gets sorted out there is no telling.

2018 will tell us a lot.

But a lot depends on how the public perceives Trump's first term, and what events occur. Trump is systematically following up on his campaign promises and making a strong start on the economy, but we are only weeks in.

Incumbent POTUS are hard to beat. Carter was the only one in a century to be beaten without a split in his party; Bush Sr lost because Perot split off key votes from the GOP.
    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by grishnak View Post
      ...Can the democratic party manage to field a person to stand for the office of potus in the 2020 election that the Donald can defeat?...
      Who can say? What if The Donald doesn't run for a second term? I agree with AJR; much too early at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post

Man, we just got over 2016.

It is far too soon to say. Right now the DNC is in shambles, and until it gets sorted out there is no telling.

2018 will tell us a lot.

But a lot depends on how the public perceives Trump's first term, and what events occur. Trump is systematically following up on his campaign promises and making a strong start on the economy, but we are only weeks in.

Incumbent POTUS are hard to beat. Carter was the only one in a century to be beaten without a split in his party; Bush Sr lost because Perot split off key votes from the GOP.
        way to early Arnold is right on that

and I would say Trump is breaking his promises left and right to the independents. Even fox has his approval rate in low 40s If that does not change he toast and he wasting his time on petty things which is what driving his poll numbers down when he only got 39 more days left of effective governing.

Comment

Trump is(was) like most politicians in make promises that objective analysis would suggest could never be kept, but enough voters are willing to believe the non-reality that they can, so vote accordingly.

Comment

I'll bet they run a Progressive from New York for President. It's unlikely they'll run anyone close to Left of Center. They might throw in a minority again as well. I'd say there's a pretty good chance of that.

The only chance they really have with a Progressive candidate is a very heavy and serious protest vote.

If Trump gets results regardless of the teeth gnashing over how he did it in the MSM and the economy is in good shape, the Democrats are pretty much hosed. I think putting Ellison and Perez in charge of the DNC was a serious mistake for them too.

Comment

Originally posted by G David Bock View Post
              Trump is(was) like most politicians in make promises that objective analysis would suggest could never be kept, but enough voters are willing to believe the non-reality that they can, so vote accordingly.
              I thought he was a businessman. We heard that often enough from your ilk that he wasn't a politician. So which is it ?
              "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                I thought he was a businessman. We heard that often enough from your ilk that he wasn't a politician. So which is it ?
                Trump is not a "CAREER" politician. No one is "born" a politician, they choose at some point in life to get involved. My experience in recent years is that often they are business persons with some degree of success and looking to be of greater service. That's the profile of the local GOP candidates I've met whom are now serving in elected office.

Contrast are those like the Clinton's whom almost from graduating college went direct into guv'mint work and/or campaigning to get elected to political office.

The process of campaigning will start to make one a "politician", but that classification has a number of variations.

Obviously, your question and attitude shows you of the ilk that can barely be bothered to vote, but has no experience working at local and grassroots level to know and understand the political process.

Comment

I've heard that they are considering Gov. Moonbeam. Can you imagine?
                  Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                    I'll bet they run a Progressive from New York for President. It's unlikely they'll run anyone close to Left of Center. They might throw in a minority again as well. I'd say there's a pretty good chance of that.

The only chance they really have with a Progressive candidate is a very heavy and serious protest vote.

If Trump gets results regardless of the teeth gnashing over how he did it in the MSM and the economy is in good shape, the Democrats are pretty much hosed. I think putting Ellison and Perez in charge of the DNC was a serious mistake for them too.
                    Especially the latter. They are going to need to pull hard in the Rust Belt, and those two are not going to sell well there if the economy picks up at all.
                    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Can the democratic party manage to field a person to stand for the office of potus in the 2020 election that the Donald can defeat?Discuss.
                      The foundation of the Democratic Party is to take from those whom produce and redistribute to those whom don't. Will depend upon how many "looters" there are that will vote in 2020 for the Democratic Party, regardless of the candidate.

Comment

They way things are going, I wonder if there will be anyone with a close-to-Center position anymore by 2020.
                        You'll live, only the best get killed.

-General Charles de Gaulle

Comment

Unlikely
                          My worst jump story:
                          My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                          As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                          No lie.

~
                          "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                          -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by craven View Post
                            way to early Arnold is right on that

and I would say Trump is breaking his promises left and right to the independents. Even fox has his approval rate in low 40s If that does not change he toast and he wasting his time on petty things which is what driving his poll numbers down when he only got 39 more days left of effective governing.

You do realize that no one on this forum accepts Fox as a genuine news source?
                            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

There is a strong possibility that a successful Trump administration could lead to Pence running in 2020.
                              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X