The curious popularity of Putin by Republicans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The curious popularity of Putin by Republicans

Back in July 2014 just 10 percent of Republicans held a favorable view of Putin, according to a poll conducted by the Economist and YouGov. By September of 2016, that number rose to 24 percent. And it's even higher today: 37 percent of Republicans view Putin favorably, the poll found in December.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/1...support-232714

So why the big change? Anyone care to offer an explanation?

I'd be curious how they worded the questions and if they asked the same people each time.

Regardless I'm not seeing popularity. 10 to 37% means you've been elevated from explosive diarrhea to hemorrhoids in terms of how well you are appreciated.
    A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

right wing media has been steadily molding public opinion to the desired Trump/Putin/Le Pen/etc. revolution. The interests are aligned.

Zhitomir-Berdichev, West of Kiev: 24 Dec 1943-31 Jan 1944
      Stalin's Favorite: The Combat History of the 2nd Guards Tank Army
      Barbarossa Derailed I & II
      Battle of Kalinin October 1941

Comment

I guess you missed it when I posted this before--

Russia is an economically challenged nation of 145 million, less than half of America’s population and much less than half of Europe’s. Its economy is a small fraction of the combined economies of Europe and America. It is not on a war footing. It is not moving forces into position for an invasion. It is not mobilizing. To satellite photography, to NSA these things would be as obvious as leprosy on a prom queen. The Establishment would be screaming to high heaven if there were the slightest trace of preparation for war. The whole business is manufactured.
        "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Russia is about to kick off the 2017 "Zapad" exercise, involving some 150 000 troops. It's area of deployment also involves Belorussia... It should come in as something like the second or third largest Russian/Soviet military exercise ever. And then there's this open question about the status of Belorussia after the exercise?

Unlike every other country in Europe, and the US to boot, Russia has actually trained and prepared for fighting a war.

But that of course jars with the Wisdom of Trump, and so needs to be discounted. Fox News and Breitbart ain't carrying the story one supposes, so then it doesn't exist?

Comment

The article is dated December. Since that time, we've seen quite a few Russian revelations including a high level firing. I would not be surprised to learn the numbers have changed.

Comment

Originally posted by Johan Banér View Post
              ... And then there's this open question about the status of Belorussia after the exercise?
              Oh, really?
              What are you trying to imply, exactly? That Belarussia will no longer exist

Unlike every other country in Europe, and the US to boot, Russia has actually trained and prepared for fighting a war.
              Yeah, right, and what do you people the US been doing for the last 15 years... playing football in the desert?

But that of course jars with the Wisdom of Trump, and so needs to be discounted. Fox News and Breitbart ain't carrying the story one supposes, so then it doesn't exist?
              Does common sense exist in your odd little world?

Putin stands against Globalism and against the destruction of Nations. There is a reason why the Left is constantly campaigning to get people to hate their own county and themselves; to make us submit to a giant collective scheme of domination.

If Putin stands against this Hyper-State one-world-Government dominated by an alt-Left bureaucracy then I stand with Putin.
              Is that the answer you are begging for, EU-boy?
              "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

What are we doing at the moment and have been doing for years, surely you jest.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparlingo View Post
                  Back in July 2014 just 10 percent of Republicans held a favorable view of Putin, according to a poll conducted by the Economist and YouGov. By September of 2016, that number rose to 24 percent. And it's even higher today: 37 percent of Republicans view Putin favorably, the poll found in December.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/1...support-232714

So why the big change? Anyone care to offer an explanation?
                  Many perceive Putin and Russia to be an ally in the fight against ISIL I would say.
                  Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
                  Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
                    Oh, really?
                    Hard to tell what exactly will occur there as Belarus has been drifting ever and ever closer to Russia and Russia sends lots of subsidy and is Belarus's main market So long as Lukashenko is there no EU country wants anything to do with Belarus. Plus they suck at hockey.

Does common sense exist in your odd little world?

Putin stands against Globalism and against the destruction of Nations. There is a reason why the Left is constantly campaigning to get people to hate their own county and themselves; to make us submit to a giant collective scheme of domination.

If Putin stands against this Hyper-State one-world-Government dominated by an alt-Left bureaucracy then I stand with Putin.
                    Is that the answer you are begging for, EU-boy?
                    [/QUOTE]

That's an interesting view point. Seems far-fetched to me, who is advocating one world government exactly?

Comment

I would say that if the story is true, the reason would be that they (the Russians) terrify the DNC.

I know that that has certainly upped the Russians in my view.
                      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Putin stands against Globalism and against the destruction of Nations.
                        Putin stands for autocratic government, binding The People [who cares about their actual living standards?] to The Vision of a Great and Powerful Nation [in his own image, possibly to make good a deep psychological issue].

Casting him in the guise of national self-determination is a particularly sick joke. He seems to be reading from the Quick Guide to Dictators of History

Just...wow.
                        Last edited by Bluenose; 08 Mar 17, 05:06.
                        History is not tragedy; to understand historical reality, it is sometimes better to not know the end of the story.

Pierre Vidal-Naquet

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                          I would say that if the story is true, the reason would be that they (the Russians) terrify the DNC.

So you favor the Russians over your own people and country?

That is despicable and perhaps traitorous.
                          We are not now that strength which in old days
                          Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                          Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                          To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
                            Oh, really?
                            Exactly! And the Crimea still belongs to Ukraine.

You are either extremely naďve, or generally ignorant of how the Russians work, or both. They have been doing this since at least Ivan the Great.

'Stupid is as stupid does.'-Forrest Gump.
                            We are not now that strength which in old days
                            Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                            Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                            To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparlingo View Post
                              Plus they suck at hockey.

This one is brilliant !

For what it's worth ,I studied Russian for 1 year at school ,and i can tell you that in my tiny 100 000 inhabitants town , waves of Russian tourists all year long.
                              Where is the money if they are so impoverished ?
                              That rug really tied the room together

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X